Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, yesterday I was rejected from Warwick for Economics after previously being rejected from LSE. My predicted grades as A*AA in Economics, Maths and Physics (though I'm confident I can get A*A*A) plus I'm doing an EPQ which I expect an A in. I got AAAAA (the fifth being General Studies) at AS.

I have offers from Birmingham (unconditional if firm), Manchester and Loughborough (both AAB). My current intention is to firm Manchester, then attempt to go for something through Adjustment if I get A*AA or better in my exams.

As I want to do some thinking about where would be best prior to actually getting my results, I'd appreciate some advice on where could be realistic based on which unis might have places, which unis may have decent accommodation still available and which would be realistic for my grades.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DziNe)
    So, yesterday I was rejected from Warwick for Economics after previously being rejected from LSE. My predicted grades as A*AA in Economics, Maths and Physics (though I'm confident I can get A*A*A) plus I'm doing an EPQ which I expect an A in. I got AAAAA (the fifth being General Studies) at AS.

I have offers from Birmingham (unconditional if firm), Manchester and Loughborough (both AAB). My current intention is to firm Manchester, then attempt to go for something through Adjustment if I get A*AA or better in my exams.

As I want to do some thinking about where would be best prior to actually getting my results, I'd appreciate some advice on where could be realistic based on which unis might have places, which unis may have decent accommodation still available and which would be realistic for my grades.
    Bath may be worth looking at.

I had a flat mate in first year (on campus, nice accommodation) who got in through adjustment and the grades required were a bit lower than A*AA.

Has a placement year as well.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with Adjustment is that you will never be able to predict which Unis might have spaces on courses, and you will spend Results Day trying to get through to Unis to ask - unlike Clearing, vacancies are not advertised. Btw, the Unis that have rejected you will not be interested in reconsidering you even if they do have vacancies. And as you have identified, you probably wont get accommodation and so it will all be last-minute and uncertain. Its not a great way to start Uni. The other thing to be aware of is that 'higher grade requirements' does not mean 'better course' or 'I'll enjoy that one more'. Be careful of trying to prove something ('I was worthy of a place at Warwick/LSE') and ending up with a course/Uni that you then don't enjoy. A far better way to do this is to either Firm Manchester and go there if you get the grades, or to drop your entire UCAS application for this year and reapply in Oct for the Unis/courses you want, and with known grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    The problem with Adjustment is that you will never be able to predict which Unis might have spaces on courses, and you will spend Results Day trying to get through to Unis to ask - unlike Clearing, vacancies are not advertised. Btw, the Unis that have rejected you will not be interested in reconsidering you even if they do have vacancies. And as you have identified, you probably wont get accommodation and so it will all be last-minute and uncertain. Its not a great way to start Uni. The other thing to be aware of is that 'higher grade requirements' does not mean 'better course' or 'I'll enjoy that one more'. Be careful of trying to prove something ('I was worthy of a place at Warwick/LSE' and ending up with a course/Uni that you then don't enjoy. A far better way to do this is to either Firm Manchester and go there if you get the grades, or to drop your entire UCAS application for this year and reapply in Oct for the Unis/courses you want, and with known grades.
    Well, the good thing about adjustment is that if you don't find one you prefer you can keep the one you originally firmed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.