Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm in need of a new laptop as the one I have now is on its last legs as it is so slow and will not work off charge.

I'm not the best with techs and trying to ask my brother for advise just leads to disagreements and arguments.

The most I will be using it for is adobe photoshop. Everything else will be relatively simple (school work, Netflix, films and keeping documents)

I know that the laptop really needs to be i5 or i7 but that's about it. I want it to be as thin and lightweight as possible such as the MacBooks or Samsung notebooks but I have a low price budget.

Any recommendations?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alice1stead)
    Hi I'm in need of a new laptop as the one I have now is on its last legs as it is so slow and will not work off charge.

I'm not the best with techs and trying to ask my brother for advise just leads to disagreements and arguments.

The most I will be using it for is adobe photoshop. Everything else will be relatively simple (school work, Netflix, films and keeping documents)

I know that the laptop really needs to be i5 or i7 but that's about it. I want it to be as thin and lightweight as possible such as the MacBooks or Samsung notebooks but I have a low price budget.

Any recommendations?
    If you have a low budget, skip out any i7 systems. You don't need it, and it'll be much cheaper without. Look into HP laptops. They tend to be priced more reasonably than things like Apple products. An advisor at a computer store should be able to help you figure out what you need, but don't let them talk you into something super expensive or a waste of money. I'd just ask about the kind of specifications you might be wanting, rather than a suggestion for a particular product. You can get something with a small storage space on the laptop and use external storage solutions, like external hard drives, which can save money. That's what I use at the moment. Definitely look into other processors than Intel as well, as you will find they're a lot cheaper. They won't be quite as good as i5 systems, depending on the one you'd end up with, but AMD can still do everything you are planning to do quite easily, and a really a lot cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    If you have a low budget, skip out any i7 systems. You don't need it, and it'll be much cheaper without. Look into HP laptops. They tend to be priced more reasonably than things like Apple products. An advisor at a computer store should be able to help you figure out what you need, but don't let them talk you into something super expensive or a waste of money. I'd just ask about the kind of specifications you might be wanting, rather than a suggestion for a particular product. You can get something with a small storage space on the laptop and use external storage solutions, like external hard drives, which can save money. That's what I use at the moment. Definitely look into other processors than Intel as well, as you will find they're a lot cheaper. They won't be quite as good as i5 systems, depending on the one you'd end up with, but AMD can still do everything you are planning to do quite easily, and a really a lot cheaper
    Another thing would be to get it online. Don't go to somewhere like PC World as they will pressure you into getting all this other stuff which sounds convincing but is useless. In terms of i5 vs i7, for Photoshop, there isn't much of a difference as opposed to video editing and stuff like that.

External drives are OK but you can't store programs onto them easily and even if you do, they'd suffer from long load times and bad performance.

To make recommendations, we need to know your budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 152mmOfDerp)
    Another thing would be to get it online. Don't go to somewhere like PC World as they will pressure you into getting all this other stuff which sounds convincing but is useless. In terms of i5 vs i7, for Photoshop, there isn't much of a difference as opposed to video editing and stuff like that.

External drives are OK but you can't store programs onto them easily and even if you do, they'd suffer from long load times and bad performance.

To make recommendations, we need to know your budget.

I'd say under £500 but even lower would be better but I know that's not a lot really. I only have a part time job and I'm trying to save for uni too but I know I'll need a laptop long term.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say under £500 but even lower would be better but I know that's not a lot really. I only have a part time job and I'm trying to save for uni too but I know I'll need a laptop long term.
    Depending on what you do on Photoshop, the software can be very consuming in terms of the devices resources. Try to make full potential of that budget as if you're going into Uni and doing a course that involves Photoshop, It is likely you want it to go as smoothly as possible. Another thing is that you'll want a full HD resolution for photo editing (1920 x 1080p). And the last thing is I'd strongly recommend an SSD as they make the machine boot up very fast and you can open Photoshop very quickly. SSD's are also more durable. When you drop a Laptop, the thing that generally breaks is the Hard drive which is a spinning disk. An SSD will survive a drop so the laptop is likely to suffer from just a chipped part on it.

Speaking of which, I've found a laptop with an i7, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD for just under £500 http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-25...es/version.asp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 152mmOfDerp)
    Depending on what you do on Photoshop, the software can be very consuming in terms of the devices resources. Try to make full potential of that budget as if you're going into Uni and doing a course that involves Photoshop, It is likely you want it to go as smoothly as possible. Another thing is that you'll want a full HD resolution for photo editing (1920 x 1080p). And the last thing is I'd strongly recommend an SSD as they make the machine boot up very fast and you can open Photoshop very quickly. SSD's are also more durable. When you drop a Laptop, the thing that generally breaks is the Hard drive which is a spinning disk. An SSD will survive a drop so the laptop is likely to suffer from just a chipped part on it.

Speaking of which, I've found a laptop with an i7, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD for just under £500 http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-25...es/version.asp
    I am not planning on doing anything like that in university. I just have an interest in photography in my pastime and use photoshop for my pictures.
    I plan on doing medicine or a science degree in uni so don't really have any other demanding uses for the laptop.

My brother says to stay away from HP laptops as they "are crap" in his words and says that thinkpads are good however, not trying to sound petty, but I do not like the look of them as they are thicker than I'm wanting as I'm wanting a laptop that is as thin as possible like the shape of the MacBooks.

I know this is probably a hard list to fill but thank you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a Macbook since I was 16, I'm now 20 and it's still going strong. Doesn't hold charge like it used too but it's still running well.

ReputationRep:
    I am not planning on doing anything like that in university. I just have an interest in photography in my pastime and use photoshop for my pictures.
    I plan on doing medicine or a science degree in uni so don't really have any other demanding uses for the laptop.

My brother says to stay away from HP laptops as they "are crap" in his words and says that thinkpads are good however, not trying to sound petty, but I do not like the look of them as they are thicker than I'm wanting as I'm wanting a laptop that is as thin as possible like the shape of the MacBooks.

I know this is probably a hard list to fill but thank you anyway.
    Your brother has a valid point there, although it all depends on how careful you are.
    Thinkpads are more built like tanks rather than laptops so abusing them won't be an issue not to mention the great build quality.
    However, if size is that important to you then go with what you prefer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.