Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I may be in breach of employment contract. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Under the "Obligations" section in my employment contract is this expectation:

" - Devote the whole of your time and attention during business hours to your duties as an employee. You will not at any time, without the written consent of your manager be directly engaged, concerned or connected with any other company, business or concern (except as the holder of shares, stock, debenture or debenture stock in any other company quoted or dealt on any recognised stock exchange)"

Now the first sentence is fine, but the second one may be an issue. A couple of months ago I invested a small amount (three figures just) through an equity crowdfunding platform into a business (not in any way connected to the business of my employer either directly or indirectly). In retrospect, it seems I should have had permission from my manager to do this based on this clause.

Question: should come clean and sort this out or just leave it? I'm inclined to bat it out, take the slap on the wrist and get on with it, but don't want to jeopardise anything should this be taken a lot more seriously than it ought to be by my employer.

It's likely that I will make other such small investments, and in light of dusting off my contract will make a point of covering it off with my manager if this changes the waters any.

....cheers for any input/advice.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you did breach company policy but in situations like this, it's probably best not to come clean because as you said it could be taken very seriously. But as for future investments, probably not the best idea.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    Under the "Obligations" section in my employment contract is this expectation:

" - Devote the whole of your time and attention during business hours to your duties as an employee. You will not at any time, without the written consent of your manager be directly engaged, concerned or connected with any other company, business or concern (except as the holder of shares, stock, debenture or debenture stock in any other company quoted or dealt on any recognised stock exchange)"

Now the first sentence is fine, but the second one may be an issue. A couple of months ago I invested a small amount (three figures just) through an equity crowdfunding platform into a business (not in any way connected to the business of my employer either directly or indirectly). In retrospect, it seems I should have had permission from my manager to do this based on this clause.

Question: should come clean and sort this out or just leave it? I'm inclined to bat it out, take the slap on the wrist and get on with it, but don't want to jeopardise anything should this be taken a lot more seriously than it ought to be by my employer.

It's likely that I will make other such small investments, and in light of dusting off my contract will make a point of covering it off with my manager if this changes the waters any.

....cheers for any input/advice.
    If your manager can sanction it I wouldnt worry.

ReputationRep:
    Looks unenforceable. They cannot dictate what you can/cannot do outside of working hours.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you aren't doing it within working hours yo shouldn't worry. Also how on earth would your manager ever find out about an investment you made in private?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's fine.

You aren't a significant investor in the other business.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Reue)
    Looks unenforceable. They cannot dictate what you can/cannot do outside of working hours.
    In certain circumstances they can still fire you for instance if it creates a conflict of interest or has a direct impact on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    As long as you aren't doing it within working hours yo shouldn't worry. Also how on earth would your manager ever find out about an investment you made in private?
    I can get 30% back through an EIS tax relief system because it's a young company. So my tax profile may change and it could be flagged that way I guess.

Thanks all for the input in any case.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Agdgdgwngo)
    I can get 30% back through an EIS tax relief system because it's a young company. So my tax profile may change and it could be flagged that way I guess.

Thanks all for the input in any case.
    With a 3 figure investment?

And tax codes can change for all sorts of reasons.

You are a tiny investor in an arms-length company. It is not a material investment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.