The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

s43
Why? cheap, its crap!!! LOL :rolleyes:

We'll be being poor students about two months after that holiday....thinking some money saving could go a long way towards getting through uni ;]
Reply 21
innercitylife
A friend and I are trying to figure out where to escape to abroad to celebrate getting through our A-levels (since we are poor and have to plan well in advance to persuade ourselves to save). We're a bit stumped though as to where would be good to go.

Our requirements are basically - cheap travel & hotel wise; good nightlife; safe; fairly studenty (nice to find others around to...); low amount of beachiness; and generally good fun. We probably want to stay about 5-7 days. Any ideas? Prague is a favourite, and we're both liking the idea of Italy - but not too sure as we aren't very informed on this front! So yes, help, much appreciated :smile: Thanks!

edit: oop, should probably say this is for next summer, around July/august time.

try jet2 for cheap plane tickets
Next summer a group of us are planning on going to dublin for a holiday....booking early, flights are £8.99 from teesside!!! Nightlife is good shopping is good, weather should be nice in the summer (we hope) so can't wait! x
priya
berlin!!! really good youth hostel u can stay in there, nightlife is apparantly very good. prague is good- it would be extremely cheap to stay there as well.

yes it can be really cheap to stay in prague and it is a really beautiful place to go to. I was looking a few weeks back and i found some decent looking really cheap hostels where you could stay from £10 per night on expedia...
I'm not too sure on the prices of flights though :confused:
undercover-ange
Next summer a group of us are planning on going to dublin for a holiday....booking early, flights are £8.99 from teesside!!! Nightlife is good shopping is good, weather should be nice in the summer (we hope) so can't wait! x

Dublin does seem really lovely, I'd love to go to Ireland sometime... pubs and whatnot :smile: and not too far from home which is nice sometimes for breaks.
Reply 25
Its worth getting a YHA membership card also, they tend to have excellent hostels with good facilities. Also, having a YHA card usually manages you to score a bit of a discount!
I've just returned from Amsterdam! It was legendary!

On Saturday, five of us spontaneously decided to go on a mission to Amsterdam for a few days. Having not booked anything. we left on Monday morning and stayed four nights in a not-so-seedy 'hotel'.

I departed with £280 cash; I return without money, but with priceless memories.
hornblower
I've just returned from Amsterdam! It was legendary!

On Saturday, five of us spontaneously decided to go on a mission to Amsterdam for a few days. Having not booked anything. we left on Monday morning and stayed four nights in a not-so-seedy 'hotel'.

I departed with £280 cash; I return without money, but with priceless memories.

Do you think you can get away with having a girly holiday in Amsterdam? Everyone I've spoken to always seems to think it's more a guy venue but I'm hoping theyre misguided
innercitylife
Do you think you can get away with having a girly holiday in Amsterdam? Everyone I've spoken to always seems to think it's more a guy venue but I'm hoping theyre misguided

Well, I strongly agree about Amsterdam being a guy place. (Gay as well.)

Nevertheless, I would not let this stop you girls going. But beware! Remember about safety in numbers and stay streetwise.

On the first day we saw a group of four girls being led on by an extremely dodgy tout, with his partners in crime following the girls a few yards back. I only hope the group were okay.
Reply 29
Go to Amsterdam - cheap, lots of students and not too hot.
Italy - in July, August can be very hot and this can be tough in the cities.
Prague - very nice in summer but tourists do get ripped off - there are two tier prices for locals and tourists.
To book airfares at a good price - look at websites around Xmas when the summer schedules are published.
samd294
Prague is quite expensive, and you're always gonna spend a lot on city holidays, nothing to do apart from spend money on food drink shopping excursions etc.

but on non city holidays what is there to do apart from spend money on food drink and excursions
Reply 31
innercitylife
A friend and I are trying to figure out where to escape to abroad to celebrate getting through our A-levels (since we are poor and have to plan well in advance to persuade ourselves to save). We're a bit stumped though as to where would be good to go.

Our requirements are basically - cheap travel & hotel wise; good nightlife; safe; fairly studenty (nice to find others around to...); low amount of beachiness; and generally good fun. We probably want to stay about 5-7 days. Any ideas? Prague is a favourite, and we're both liking the idea of Italy - but not too sure as we aren't very informed on this front! So yes, help, much appreciated :smile: Thanks!

edit: oop, should probably say this is for next summer, around July/august time.

my friends and i are doing the same - we're staying in a hostel in barcelona for £15 a night and flying from stansted for £89 return. we decided barcelona for nice weather, city and beach. if you want to meet other travellers i'd go for a hostel/guest house, but check there's no curfew! or go for cancellations, late deals. have a look at teletext holidays. i just searched for barcelona hostels and found ours.
hornblower
Well, I strongly agree about Amsterdam being a guy place. (Gay as well.)

Nevertheless, I would not let this stop you girls going. But beware! Remember about safety in numbers and stay streetwise.

On the first day we saw a group of four girls being led on by an extremely dodgy tout, with his partners in crime following the girls a few yards back. I only hope the group were okay.
Yeah, I've been to places where being a group of women alone isn't great - eg, Morocco. I've pretty much got a few guy mates down to come with us though but we kind of need a healthy medium in the way of things to do. Gay I can cope with, all guys I cannot =P
big mama
Go to Amsterdam - cheap, lots of students and not too hot.
Italy - in July, August can be very hot and this can be tough in the cities.
Prague - very nice in summer but tourists do get ripped off - there are two tier prices for locals and tourists.
To book airfares at a good price - look at websites around Xmas when the summer schedules are published.

Thanks, great advice =)
allisandro
my friends and i are doing the same - we're staying in a hostel in barcelona for £15 a night and flying from stansted for £89 return. we decided barcelona for nice weather, city and beach. if you want to meet other travellers i'd go for a hostel/guest house, but check there's no curfew! or go for cancellations, late deals. have a look at teletext holidays. i just searched for barcelona hostels and found ours.

Barcelona does seem beautiful, but in the summer it must get a bit touristy? I'd love to go for the architecture however, heh :smile: Once again cheers, didn't think of looking on teletext.
Reply 35
innercitylife
Barcelona does seem beautiful, but in the summer it must get a bit touristy? I'd love to go for the architecture however, heh :smile: Once again cheers, didn't think of looking on teletext.

yeah probably, but we're going mid september so should have calmed down by then. also my sister's friend lives there so can get a "local" point of view! good luck, hope you find something nice!
Reply 36
Im going away tomorrow, 5 of us going to Palma Nova for a fortnight. We're staying in apartments. Its cost us £374 each. I thought that was quite good. :cool: Really excited about going, in 24hours time I'll be there. :rolleyes:
Aj_uk
Im going away tomorrow, 5 of us going to Palma Nova for a fortnight. We're staying in apartments. Its cost us £374 each. I thought that was quite good. :cool: Really excited about going, in 24hours time I'll be there. :rolleyes:
That seems really good for two weeks. Enjoy yourself! :smile:
allisandro
yeah probably, but we're going mid september so should have calmed down by then. also my sister's friend lives there so can get a "local" point of view! good luck, hope you find something nice!

Nice idea, I generally go on holiday with my mom and sister in November and it's lovely, tourist season is over and the winter nights in Europe are lovely. :smile: Thanks, and hope you enjoy yourself on yours! Even if it is a little way away still :tongue:
innercitylife

If you go to Barcelona do NOT fly iwth Iberia Airlines. It is a disgrace to Spain to have them as a national airlines. 'Propper' airline fares and service only Ryanair would be happy with.

Latest

Trending

Trending