Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying car with Test Pass Certificate Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've passed my driving test 2 weeks ago, but my license hasn't arrived yet. Do you know if I can buy and insure a car without my license? I'll have my pass certificate and my passport for identification. Would that be enough? I'm planning to buy a car this Thursday, I hope my license arrives by then. But I don't know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina_RO)
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've passed my driving test 2 weeks ago, but my license hasn't arrived yet. Do you know if I can buy and insure a car without my license? I'll have my pass certificate and my passport for identification. Would that be enough? I'm planning to buy a car this Thursday, I hope my license arrives by then. But I don't know...
    Whenever ive brought cars- they have never asked to see my licence.
    They may do if you want to actually test drive the car, and in that case the pass certificate should be enough. But you shouldnt need your licence to actually buy the car.

ReputationRep:
    you know your driver number ? that should be enough to satisfy the insurer , and the seller will generally be disinterested in whather you hade a licence or not .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Nope! You don't need to show your licence to anyone to purchase and insure a car! Some insurers may require the licence number, but you've got that written on your certificate.

If any insurers require a photocopy, you can simply tell them it's in the post and you'll do it as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for the info! I know my driver number, it's on the certificate, so I should be fine. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I've never needed to produce my licence I wouldn't worry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.