Views: 38
Size:  97.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleverboy1991)
    does the future scare you, ?

Name:  WIN_20170211_13_30_09_Pro.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  97.1 KB

The present scares me. In the long term, we're all dead - so it doesn't bother me as much.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why would this scare anyone? We are well beyond the stage where printing a barcode on a person's head is in any way useful. Barcodes hold a very small amount of information which can already be better inferred in other ways. Not to mention this is not something that would ever happen in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Those pictures are scary but I doubt it'd be a barcode, they'd track you with little chips. I like technology when it's basic like the internet before 2010 and phones before 2010… technology is one things but technological advancement is another. I'm just glad I probably won't be alive to see 2100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Why would this scare anyone? We are well beyond the stage where printing a barcode on a person's head is in any way useful. Barcodes hold a very small amount of information which can already be better inferred in other ways. Not to mention this is not something that would ever happen in the first place.
    actually yes it will happen.

who'd have thought 30 years ago that one day all dogs will be chipped and those who did not chip their dogs would be breaking the law ?

ReputationRep:
    That guy holding a card on his forehead scares me. What are u doing fam? Put the bong down m8

ReputationRep:
    they will make everyone carry a miniature computer with tracking technology in their pocket.... oh wait
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    actually yes it will happen.

who'd have thought 30 years ago that one day all dogs will be chipped and those who did not chip their dogs would be breaking the law ?
    That's a entirely different comparison and you can't say with any certainty that in X years we'll all be walking around with barcodes on our heads.

We didn't think that 30 years ago because the technology largely didn't exist. Barcodes clearly do exist and have existed for a long time. So that comparison is moot.

Chipping animals also makes perfect sense. Tattooing barcodes to people's heads does not. And like I said we've already moved way past barcodes. QR codes and other methods of storage already store far more data, but we have already moved onto things like biometrics and implants. To take your chipping example, it's like asking if in the future all dogs will wear collars with identity tags. Asking if we'll all have barcodes is a step backwards.

Not to mention all the issues related to people. Would you really have a tattoo with personal information on your forehead, where anyone can see and steal it? Of course not. Like I said, it's a stupid premise to think this would ever happen.

And incidentally, it's not that much more advanced than using branding irons on slaves. That worked out well and is still widespread today right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    they will make everyone carry a miniature computer with tracking technology in their pocket.... oh wait
    U woke AF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That's a entirely different comparison and you can't say with any certainty that in X years we'll all be walking around with barcodes on our heads.

We didn't think that 30 years ago because the technology largely didn't exist. Barcodes clearly do exist and have existed for a long time. So that comparison is moot.

Chipping animals also makes perfect sense. Tattooing barcodes to people's heads does not. And like I said we've already moved way past barcodes. QR codes and other methods of storage already store far more data, but we have already moved onto things like biometrics and implants. To take your chipping example, it's like asking if in the future all dogs will wear collars with identity tags. Asking if we'll all have barcodes is a step backwards.

Not to mention all the issues related to people. Would you really have a tattoo with personal information on your forehead, where anyone can see and steal it? Of course not. Like I said, it's a stupid premise to think this would ever happen.

And incidentally, it's not that much more advanced than using branding irons on slaves. That worked out well and is still widespread today right?
    governemtn are planning to give verybody a mark on the right hand or forehead for buying/selling, one cannot buy/sell without a barcode in most cases.
    many conspiracy theroists believe the government are going to put a permanent barcode on our forehead or hands
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    governemtn are planning to give verybody a mark on the right hand or forehead for buying/selling, one cannot buy/sell without a barcode in most cases.
    many conspiracy theroists believe the government are going to put a permanent barcode on our forehead or hands
    Of course they are. Many conspiracy theorists also believe that the moon isn't real or that the Earth is hollow. How do I know that? Because it said so on the Internet. Seriously, why do people believe this sort of rubbish? There is no evidence to suggest anything you have said is true and even if it were it'd be a dumb idea for reasons already mentioned.

What is far more likely (because we are already at this point) is devices such as smart watches that allow people to pay for things. More advanced versions of contactless payments, Android pay, etc. The next step is making the technology small enough to be implanted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.