Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[Summary] English taught bachelor programs in continental Europe Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this post will help students who are aspiring to study in continental Europe, and welcome to share any ideas or suggestions!

This summary is based on my personal research, and countries are listed in descending order of their inhabitants’ English proficiency (according to EF English Proficiency Index 2016). In addition, here is the map based on another study:
    https://jakubmarian.com/wp-content/u...obarometer.jpg

Annual tuition fees are noted in Euros, and currently this post has not yet include information about financial aids.

1. Netherlands

Research Universities: around €9K, and less than €2K for EU/EEA students. Deadlines: mainly April 1, and January 15 for some programs with high popularity. In this category there are 125 English taught bachelor programs:
    https://www.studyfinder.nl/search?fu...k_url=&rpp=100

On account of respective academic strength (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2016), there are several programs which I think are recommendable:
    University of Amsterdam: Communication Science; Media and Information; Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics; Linguistics; Political Science.
    Leiden University: Archaeology; International Studies; International Relations and Organisations.
    Erasmus University Rotterdam: Econometrics and Economics; Econometrics and Operations Research. Deadlines: May 1
    TU Delft: Aerospace Engineering; Marine Technology; Nanobiology; Applied Earth Sciences.
    TU Eindhoven: Architecture, Urbanism, and Building Sciences.
    University of Utrecht: Global Sustainability Science.
    VU Amsterdam: Psychology; Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

Universities of applied sciences: around €8K, and less than €2K for EU/EEA students. In this category there are 131 English taught bachelor programs:
    https://www.studyfinder.nl/search?fu...k_url=&rpp=100

LACs (Liberal Arts College): around €10K, and €4K for EU/EEA students. Deadlines: varies, February – April
    Amsterdam University College
    Erasmus University College
    University College Groningen
    Leiden University College The Hague
    University College Maastricht
    University College Roosevelt
    University College Tilburg
    University College Utrecht.

2. Denmark
    Deadlines: March 15
    DTU: General Engineering €15K
    Aarhus University: Cognitive Science €8K

3. Sweden
    Deadlines: January 15
    Lund University: Development Studies; Fine Arts; Mathematics; Physical Geography and Ecosystem Science; Physics. €16K (recommended: Physical Geography and Ecosystem Science)
    KTH: Information and Communication Technology €13K

8. Germany
    Deadlines: varies, April – July:
    KIT: Mechanical Engineering €15K
    University of Göttingen: Molecular Ecosystem Sciences €1K
    LACs:
    Jacobs University Bremen €20K
    Bard College Berlin €18K

10. Belgium
    KU Leuven: Theology and Religious Studies; Philosophy; Engineering Technology. €1K, deadlines: March 1 (recommended: Theology and Religious Studies, Philosophy)
    VU Brussel: Social Sciences ?
    LAC: Vesalius College €12K
    Note: English proficiency in Flanders (Dutch speaking) is quite high, while the national average is compromised by the much lower English proficiency in Walloon (French speaking). Those three above are all located in Flanders or Brussels.

4. Norway 5. Finland 6. Luxemburg 7. Austria 9. Poland 11. Switzerland
    No English taught bachelor programs (except business studies). In order to keep it concise, this post do not include universities whose rankings are not in top 200 worldwide (Times/QS/ARWU).

12. Portugal and beyond
    Due to low English proficiency in these countries, English taught bachelor programs are exceptionally rare, and student life of those programs is highly confined in the campus. Besides, their higher education systems are less satisfactory than aforementioned countries (according to Times Higher Education):
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...core-large.jpg

Concerning the continuity and stability of English taught programs, the Netherlands and Belgium seem to have a better record than Germany and Scandinavia. Five years ago, Germany had more English taught bachelor programs than now – some had terminated in past few years. It is similar the case in Scandinavia: for example, University of Copenhagen cancelled several English taught master programs in the later half of 2016.

And regarding the teaching quality, I suggest to do extensive research on one’s own, as this is difficult to be objectified. From various sources, personally I have this general impression: the Netherlands > Scandinavia > Germany. (In a previous post I have indicated that: “Although it can be generalized that European universities require more independence and self-reliance than their American counterparts, Dutch universities offer much more guidance and tutorship than other European universities (like Germany), especially in the first year of study”.)

Lastly, about internship and career opportunities in those countries: German universities' English taught programs has little recognition in German society, especially undergraduate ones. Decent knowledge of local language is necessary for most jobs in Scandinavia, and this also applies to many jobs in the Netherlands and Belgium. However, in the latter it is relatively much easier to find positions which do not require local language proficiency, since large amounts of international organizations and multinational corporations concentrated in Amsterdam, Brussels, the Hague, Rotterdam, and Antwerp.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    An interesting post, although there are some inaccuracies. There are some English-taught bachelor programmes in Norway, and quite a lot in Finland, Austria and Poland. I have never heard that teaching quality is higher in Holland than Germany or Scandinavia. It's completely wrong to say that German employers have little regard for English-taught degrees (where did you get that from? :lolwut:), although it is true that you do need to learn the local language if you intend to stay long-term in your host country.

ReputationRep:
    I am also considering studying in Europe (excluding the UK) and would very much like to hear from anyone that has studied in Europe at undergraduate level - especially in Sweden... Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    An interesting post, although there are some inaccuracies. There are some English-taught bachelor programmes in Norway, and quite a lot in Finland, Austria and Poland. I have never heard that teaching quality is higher in Holland than Germany or Scandinavia. It's completely wrong to say that German employers have little regard for English-taught degrees (where did you get that from? :lolwut:), although it is true that you do need to learn the local language if you intend to stay long-term in your host country.
    Thanks for your feedbacks. As I’ve clearly stated above, in order to keep this list concise, it only includes European universities which ranked top 200 worldwide in Times/QS/ARWU. I’m afraid all those programmes you’ve mentioned don’t belong to this category…

Regarding teaching quality, it’s very common for programmes at German Universities (I’ve checked many of their Studierendenstatistiken) have very high drop-out rates (e.g. more than 70% for Classical Archaeology at FU Berlin), and I don’t think this is a sign of adequate teaching and academic guidance.

And for recognition of English-taught programmes at German universities, there isn’t much problem for domestic students. But unless you have an excellent command of the German language, it’s very hard for international students from these programmes to find an internship, and even harder for a job. In contrast, as I mentioned in the last paragraph of above post, this is not the case in the Netherlands, thanks to its much higher English proficiency rate (NL: 90, DE: 56, according to Eurobarometer 386), and many sectors in NL are essentially international oriented.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.