Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im currently in year 9 and im trying to choose my gcses right now, currently I want to do Geography, ICT, Economics and Psychology. But im still confused whether I should take Economics or Business Studies. Adding on to this, I was wondering if I should switch Psychology and take Spanish instead, the thing is with Spanish is that I dont enjoy but im good at it.
    Thanks

And also does economics involve a lot of maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer..)
    Hi, im currently in year 9 and im trying to choose my gcses right now, currently I want to do Geography, ICT, Economics and Psychology. But im still confused whether I should take Economics or Business Studies. Adding on to this, I was wondering if I should switch Psychology and take Spanish instead, the thing is with Spanish is that I dont enjoy but im good at it.
    Thanks

And also does economics involve a lot of maths
    Hey,
    I'm in Year 9 too and honestly, I dont think that Economics and Business Studies are that different, I chose Economics because I thought it was more interesting(just my opinion)
    For the maths bit, "Both subjects require a relatively high level of numeracy, which includes the interpretation of numbers and
    graphs in various forms. In the examination, Business Studies tends to have a greater number of calculations that students need to do, although the hardest that these get are the working out of basic percentages and ratios. Economics generally requires students to be able to interpret and evaluate data to a higher level."
    Just make sure you choose a subject you enjoy AND are good at and if that subject is Psychology, then take Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    I would take economics if you're good with graphs, take Business if you're good at ratios and percentages, but both contain quite a bit of numeracy.
    This shouldn't be the primary factor however, choose the one that sounds the most interesting to you.

For Spanish and Psychology, if you really hate Spanish then I just wouldn't bother because you won't be motivated in class.
    A language is certainly good, when uni's look at your academic track record, but it isn't a necessity

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    For economics and business studies pick the one you're most interested in. Both will include maths to varying amounts but if you're passionate about the subject you can motivate yourself to improve If you're still unsure about the numeracy involved in economics get some advice off your current teachers or teachers who teach economics - they can help you figure if the subject is right for you.
    If you dislike Spanish then don't take it. You will be unmotivated to revise and improve at the subject whereas if you really like psychology you will be more motivated to do well and will likely get better results as a result of that.
    If you change your mind about one of your subjects in Y10 your school may let you switch subjects. One of my close friends wanted to switch GCSE courses at the end of Y10 and with some persuasion the school let her. So if you discover you really dislike a course you've chosen but you've already started lessons then you may still be able to change - try not to rely on this though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also in year 9 and trying to choose my options. You seem to get a much wider range of subjects than we do ie. psychology or economics. I think that i am going to take business studies because it involves maths - the one thing I'm good at! Economics and Business Studies are probably not very different so it might not matter too much.
    Take subjects that you enjoy, there is not much point picking Spanish if, when it comes to year 11, you dislike it even more than you do now.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm doing economics a level, and there really isn't that much maths involved, it's mostly theoretical, but very interesting. Business studies, although being a good subject, is sometimes considered by top universities as being 'soft', whereas Economics isn't. Regarding psychology and Spanish, both are good GCSEs. To do Spanish a level, you'd probably need Spanish GCSE, but to do psychology a level, you don't necessarily need psychology GCSE. I'd recommend that, if you're not doing a modern language already, that you should consider taking Spanish instead of psychology. However, if you are already taking latin/greek/French etc. and you prefer psychology, then take psychology

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.