Turn on thread page Beta

Girlfriend is useless at instant messaging watch

It feels like talking to a wall most of the time. She replies with short sentences to topics that are open and interesting, she takes forever to reply and shows little enthusiasm. Furthermore, I start 90% of conversations and think of 90% of the topics we 'talk' about. Yet she worries when I stop messaging as frequently and thinks I am becoming distant.

How do you tell someone they are dreadful at communicating; that they are boring to talk to? I do sometimes wonder if she is even interested, but in person she is perfectly happy and obviously in love with me.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It feels like talking to a wall most of the time. She replies with short sentences to topics that are open and interesting, she takes forever to reply and shows little enthusiasm. Furthermore, I start 90% of conversations and think of 90% of the topics we 'talk' about. Yet she worries when I stop messaging as frequently and thinks I am becoming distant.

How do you tell someone they are dreadful at communicating; that they are boring to talk to? I do sometimes wonder if she is even interested, but in person she is perfectly happy and obviously in love with me.
    Normally you talk to them. explain what the issue is and maybe suggest or work out some ways to improve. Why not skype? Not everyone likes messaging.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Normally you talk to them. explain what the issue is and maybe suggest or work out some ways to improve. Why not skype? Not everyone likes messaging.
    She is too busy to call often (we do so about once a week) and she refuses to do video calls because she dislikes them for some bizarre reason.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    What is she like in person?

Some people aren't into texting, they would rather prefer to interact with people in real life, that's not something you can force your way through.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She is too busy to call often (we do so about once a week) and she refuses to do video calls because she dislikes them for some bizarre reason.
    Just talk to her and work out a solution. Perhaps she can make an effort, but if she isnt a natural and not comfy, then no point in forcing it. No worries if shes fine irl.

(Original post by UWS)
    What is she like in person?

Some people aren't into texting, they would rather prefer to interact with people in real life, that's not something you can force your way through.
    She's great in person. We only see each other once a fortnight on average though and I feel like I need to talk properly once every 2-3 days or I start to feel 'disconnected'.
    I want to sit down and talk through it properly. No one likes being told they're boring to talk to though.

ReputationRep:
    She told me she wants to sit you down and tell you how boring your texting is, it's why she doesn't bother replying with interesting responses.

I won't lie I am awful at responding to texts. Although, what is she like when you are with them in person? If she is texting all the time, then I think yes there is problem. Otherwise she may just dislike responding through messenger apps/ texting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.