Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fed up with no reply from job application for over a month- so sent them this Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pantego)
    Lol, sorry to burst your bubble but so many places dont send out rejectiion letters. Why do you feel entitled to one or need one anyway? what does it matter? I've applied to quite a few jobs and not received one, you just take it on the chin and move on, try figure out your weaknesses to improve your application for next time.
    And also, loads of applications take hours to complete with CV, cover letter and related questions - it's not special.
    I wouldn't recommend you do this with any other applications, as you would seriously jeopardise your chances of getting a position in the future.
    Getting a job isn't easy and the world isn't fair - maybe this will help you figure that out.

Also, sometimes places keep CVs on record if similar positions open up, but you've now ruined that chance. if you were so eager to find out about your rejection, why not email asking for some rejection feedback so that you can improve? to show your motivation etc? in a polite way though...
    I agree

(Original post by Pantego)
    Lol, sorry to burst your bubble but so many places dont send this rejectiion letters. Why do you feel entitled to one or need one anyway? what does it matter? I've applied to quite a few jobs and not received one, you just take it on the chin and move on, try figure out your weaknesses to improve your application for next time.
    And also, loads of applications take hours to complete with CV, cover letter and related questions - it's not special.
    I wouldn't recommend you do this with any other applications, as you would seriously jeopardise your chances of getting a position in the future.
    Getting a job isn't easy and the world isn't fair - maybe this will help you figure that out.

Also, sometimes places keep CVs on record if similar positions open up, but you've now ruined that chance. if you were so eager to find out about your rejection, why not email asking for some rejection feedback so that you can improve? to show your motivation etc? in a polite way though...
    Whats your beef with me?
    I emailed them a couple of weeks ago politely asking them for feedback. Nothing. and this is a charity ive spent a long time volunteering for.

(Original post by Gwilym101)
    That was really daft. A month is not an unusual length of time for an application to be processed, especially if you got your application in well before the deadline or if they don't give a date by which they'd contact you.

What have you gained from actually sending this? Nothing. What happens when you're not feeling so bitter and see a post you really do want to go for? What if they were just still processing the "hundreds" of applications?

Believe me, I get that it is frustrating and disheartening. I lost track of the number of job application I never heard back from, it took me 18 months to get a single interview for a paid role. I got turned down for volunteer roles, but you do not then write a *****y e-mail to the organisation, all you do is burn a bridge, potentially more bridges than you realise.
    The deadline for applying was the 15th of January. They said successful candidates will hear in two weeks. I cant believe it takes them a month to decide.

ReputationRep:
    *******s I don't know why it put me on anon.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's a charity. And it's not even a month past the deadline.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by sherlockfan)
    It proves that I won't be steamrolled, as someone else said. Tired of employers thinking they can make candidates feel worthless after having dedicated so much time to them.
    I don't care that I've sacrificed my chances, I wouldn't work for them now.
    Wrong analysis. Take a step back. It will just show them you are petulant and impatient. It doesnt do you any favours. Its in the wording, there are ways of tackling the issue and being assertive and there are ways that will be counter productive.

Its frustrating, but you have to look after yourself mentally. Fundamentally employers dont really give a damn about you, they just care about finding roughly the right person to do the job. You shouldn't take it so personally and you should o about finding a state of mind that will assist you getting through this difficult period.

ReputationRep:
    You need to grow up a bit. It's very normal for companies to not give you any feedback on your application, if you don't hear then that's your indication you didn't get the job. It serves no purpose for them to waste their time writing out rejection emails just to be polite and you should accept it.

Your volunteering is pretty irrelevant to their responding, they will have a standard system and they won't write a special reply just for you. The person hiring will still have never heard or met you. The only advantage you had was that if you wanted to follow up you could have gone through your co ordinator at your volunteering - but instead you chose to write a petulant and childish letter, making it clear you don't have the right attitude for any job and ensuring they will never hire you for this or any further role. Also you mentioned your sporadic attendance at your volunteering placement? Bad call, blaming it on the cold makes you look even worse.

Also I just saw it's only been a month. Hiring processes have set backs all the time and often they won't let candidates know (especially if they don't have a new time frame). You may have still be in with a shot at this job... before your email.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymous)
    The deadline for applying was the 15th of January. They said successful candidates will hear in two weeks. I cant believe it takes them a month to decide.
    If that happened to me, then I would assume I was unsuccessful as the deadline has past. It could be ofc they got so many applications that someone hasnt processed them all. A phone call would gotten you an answer.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing this and then your other post about that lad at the library it just seems you feel real entitled to everything, maybe try to change your outlook on the world and realise we aren't all as significant as we think

ReputationRep:
    Ok so they could still be processing the job applications (they probably were, a month is not too long) and you could have potentially had the job. They could have rejected you, maybe you didn't cut it. But, by sending this email, what are you gaining from it? All i see is you losing a potential job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If that happened to me, then I would assume I was unsuccessful as the deadline has past. It could be ofc they got so many applications that someone hasnt processed them all. A phone call would gotten you an answer.
    They don't have a phone number- no, seriously. They prefer to not be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well there you have it, they were only going to contact successful candidates.

If they get hundreds of applicants sending hundreds of e-mails saying you're not selected, that costs a lot of time. You could have sent an e-mail asking for possible feedback as to why you weren't selected, this could have gotten you useful info, showed you were keen and possibly made you stick in the memory of the HR department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casisalive)
    Seeing this and then your other post about that lad at the library it just seems you feel real entitled to everything, maybe try to change your outlook on the world and realise we aren't all as significant as we think
    What has that got to do with anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Well there you have it, they were only going to contact successful candidates.

If they get hundreds of applicants sending hundreds of e-mails saying you're not selected, that costs a lot of time. You could have sent an e-mail asking for possible feedback as to why you weren't selected, this could have gotten you useful info, showed you were keen and possibly made you stick in the memory of the HR department.
    As ive already said I did send them an email before asking for feedback, and I got nothing.
    Have you ever heard of the CC feature in email? you can send the same email to lots of people, its very clever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarest)
    Ok so they could still be processing the job applications (they probably were, a month is not too long) and you could have potentially had the job. They could have rejected you, maybe you didn't cut it. But, by sending this email, what are you gaining from it? All i see is you losing a potential job.
    Nonsense, anyone waiting as long as that would assume they were unsuccessful.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    As ive already said I did send them an email before asking for feedback, and I got nothing.
    Have you ever heard of the CC feature in email? you can send the same email to lots of people, its very clever.
    CC would be a breach of privacy.
    • Very Important Poster

They don't have a phone number- no, seriously. They prefer to not be bothered.
    Is it an agency or a charity? Organisations tend to use phones, even if they didnt advertise what it was. You need to learn the skill of negotiating organisations. Someone somewhere is making a decision, they will have a phone and a secretary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    CC would be a breach of privacy.
    I'm sure there are ways round that. Ive received automated emails from employers before.
    Clearly you don't have a very good knowledge of email.

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense, anyone waiting as long as that would assume they were unsuccessful.
    If it has been a long while and you think you were unsuccessful, what is writing this letter going to achieve? You could have applied somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid thing to do.

Do you seriously think the person receiving your letter cares? They are just going to think, glad we didn't hire that person!

So what was the point?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.