The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Now you really are showing yourself to be immature and have a chip on your shoulder plus an attitude issue. You need to take a step back and learn from the experience.

Sending e-mails phrased in the way you did was not advisable because they dont care and if you want them to consider you for employment then you went about it in the wrong way.

Your application might not have been deal with because:

They have been snowed under.
They are busy and everyone has been put back.
Someone has been ill.
They are just poor and havent informed you.

Telling them off in the way you attempted to do would achieve nothing positive for you. No idea how old you are or how long you have been looking, but its very important to look after your mental health and you avoid getting paranoid, downhearted and defensive.

Notch it off to experience and get on with the next applications. Its difficult to keep going, but if you keep doing the right things, then you will create opportunities for yourself. next time if you are unsure chase it up via e-mail and if that doesnt work , then phone is fine.

If ut were me then id just ask a mod to remove the thread because a lot of people will enjoy telling you, you are wrong and imo that isnt going to do you any good.

Delete the thread, why? Because people don't like it? That's too bad.
I don't mind people being critical, I opened myself to that when I posted here after all. It's just a shame that no one can seem to pinpoint what's so terrible and rude about my email. There are no insults, no offensive language, nothing like that at all.
Original post by sherlockfan
Let's face it most of you people have thought about sending an email like this, you just don't have the guts. Youll spend your lives being run down, chewed and spat on and employers will think that that's fine because hey, nobody would dare to complain.

there's a difference between standing up for yourself and being immature and feeling like the world owes you something
Original post by Lauren1498x
there's a difference between standing up for yourself and being immature and feeling like the world owes you something

How have I been immature? Can you be specific?
no one likes a passive aggressive person. if you can't take rejection what are you telling your employers?

spoiled millennials are cringe worthy
Delete the thread, why? Because people don't like it? That's too bad.
I don't mind people being critical, I opened myself to that when I posted here after all. It's just a shame that no one can seem to pinpoint what's so terrible and rude about my email. There are no insults, no offensive language, nothing like that at all.

Its obvious, would it really help if someone went through it and showed you how it was counterproductive? Its disappointing you cant see it because if you could you would never have sent it in that form.
How have I been immature? Can you be specific?

the way you're speaking to other people on this thread, the last couple lines of the email aren't great, the fact that you can't seem to accept that things don't revolve around you and sometimes there are genuine reasons why these things happen and that it actually isn't personal. The need to make excuses in your email to why you haven't been at volunteering, the fact you're overlooking the 'successful applicants will be emailed' part. Just in general you're not looking great...
Original post by 999tigger
Its obvious, would it really help if someone went through it and showed you how it was counterproductive? Its disappointing you cant see it because if you could you would never have sent it in that form.

If its disappointing i cant see it then why not offer some constructive advice. You never know, you might be surprised.
What's counterproductive is when people say that's really stupid or that's really immature and leave it at that.
Well if they were still considering, I doubt they will be considering you now if you have sent them that.
A bit too much but then I say send it because too many people looking for jobs are simply ignored and it may teach them to think of the trouble people put into applying and that they should appreciate the fact that people want to work for them.
Original post by Lauren1498x
the way you're speaking to other people on this thread, the last couple lines of the email aren't great, the fact that you can't seem to accept that things don't revolve around you and sometimes there are genuine reasons why these things happen and that it actually isn't personal. The need to make excuses in your email to why you haven't been at volunteering, the fact you're overlooking the 'successful applicants will be emailed' part. Just in general you're not looking great...

I don't get it sorry...I haven't insulted anyone on here or the employer...Maybe you're the one who's a bit sensitive.
I don't get it sorry...I haven't insulted anyone on here or the employer...Maybe you're the one who's a bit sensitive.

right ok. I'm trying to give you advice. Obviously I'm the sensitive one. I'd recommend you listen to everyone on this thread....
Original post by indigofox
A bit too much but then I say send it because too many people looking for jobs are simply ignored and it may teach them to think of the trouble people put into applying and that they should appreciate the fact that people want to work for them.

My thoughts exactly. If enough people sent emails like this maybe employers would realise the time and effort people put into these things.
Original post by Anonymous
If you are trolling, you are doing an amazing job
If not, GROW UP, NOW. We may spend our immidiate futures being bossed around by crappy supervisors but eventually, with a bit of luck and hard work, we'll get to where we want to be. You on the other hand will never get anywhere in life with this bitter, self entitled attitude. Grow up, suck it up, welcome to the real world.

Sure you will, that's what everyone thinks. The American dream.
Good luck with it :borat:
You have the sense of humour of a psychopath.

Remarkably close to the truth, my friend.
:wink:
To be honest with you, you can apply to about thirty jobs and maybe get 2 or 3 responses. And if you're lucky one of those might be an interview, and if you're extremely lucky they might get back to you after that. And if they're absolutely desperate for staff AND you're really lucky then THAT might be good news.

Finding a job is really, really difficult. No matter what grades you have.

I also really doubt they'll reply to you email, they'll more likely ignore it and if you're particularly UNlucky they'll fire you from volunteering.
It's just a shame that no one can seem to pinpoint what's so terrible and rude about my email. There are no insults, no offensive language, nothing like that at all.

Anonymous@#53 did

Dear Sir/Madam, I applied about a month ago for the position of _______ at ________. Having not heard anything back in weeks [ maybe true, but they already know when you applied as you have told them, so it looks like a moan. Moaning is not a very good way of persuading people or winning them over] , I then followed up with an email, sent on the _______, politely inquiring what the situation was. I still haven't heard anything back. I didn't assume that I would be shortlisted [too negative and dont start showing low confidence as that is a turn off], however, I made a lot of effort in my application and I was at least expecting a standard rejection email [expecting to fail], as a matter of common courtesy [ stroppy. You can say common courtesy suggesting they were discourteous, but its bridge burning. I might use the phrase in a letter of complaint for customer services, but even then it can come across as rattle out of the pram] I have been a loyal Volunteer at [the same organization] for over a year, though I have been finding it difficult to come in lately due to the cold weather and lack of heating [ you can say the same thing in a different way, its ok to mention you are a volunteer, not so keen on mentioning heating etc, they wont be interested] in the [place of volunteering]. However, I find it disheartening that my emails have so far gone completely ignored [ too personalised and its a blame thing again. You may or you may not have been ignored. You could make the same point in a different way. Its better to pretend they are perfectly reasonable and they have just forgotten to do something , which you politely draw to their attention.]. I didn't want to appear to be too persistent and so I have avoided emailing you for several weeks [several weeks? I thought the deadline was mid January?]. I understand that you probably received hundreds of applications, however it wouldn't have taken you much time to simply write a standard rejection letter to send to all the unsuccessful candidates. I was excited at the possibility of working as a ________ and I believe I could have been a good employee, but your lack of response has put me off [it shows you give in easily]. Should more vacancies arise in _______, I will not put myself through the trouble of applying again [they wont really care]. Yours sincerely, x

Btw its only sincerely if you know the name of the person.

It just gives the impression you want to teach them a lesson and demand an apology. They might be at fault, but even so you are giving the impression of someone who can deal with problematic situations and is able to make their point tactfully without resorting to moaning and foot stomping.

Impressions are very important. Surely it would have been better to come across as someone who is confident and competent, who was simply chasing up what had happened to their application. You could have restated the points in a factual way which would have made the point they had failed in their communication and that would put them on notice that they could have handled it better and they might feel obliged to apologise for inconveniencing you. The rest of the letter could have been rephrased to remind them how keen, committed and well suited you were. Another opportunity to pitch yourself. If cambio is around he could show you another draft that would achieve all your objectives without putting their noses out of joint. If you are unsure then run it past other people whose opinion you value.
Original post by Reality Check
And just look at the thread now... It's the same pattern as before, isn't it? You defensively hurling abuse and criticism at anyone who posts on the thread before it just dries up as people get bored and move on. It's a bit of a coincidence that it's happened on both of your threads, don't you think...?

For your own sake - is this really useful or pleasurable to you?

Abuse? How am I being abusive on here? :s
No, i dont think it was too much. You clearly wanted to get it off your chest. I think what you said was respectful and got straight to the point. So, well done! :smile:
it varies and a lot of the time companies can be dicks and you in time will realize its for the best. two experiences I have had and some people may disagree with me on these but

One Job I applied to and My family had already booked a holiday and paid for the flights and I had planned the holiday etc. They asked me to interview on a day which was during the holiday period despite me mentioning in the application dates I would be unavailable. I tried to contact them and they literally said If I wont cancel the holiday for the interview then it shows I am not serious enough so either cancel the holiday or goodbye.

I decided to say Goodbye because really what does that show about how they would treat you or How they would be as a company? Their is reasonable practice.

Another Job knowing I had traveled 3 hours on the train to London decided to say thank you very much and goodbye after literally a minute or so. I have went through in my head what I could have possibly said so bad in that minute or so. in all reality I don't know likely answers are
1. the guy thought he could make a snap judgement on my character over something trivial I hate people like that because 99% of people who think they are that good at reading people suck at it and usually come out with crap.
2. he had interviewed another candidate and already decided
3. someone he knew knew me and said something bad?

anyway the thing is the guy is judging me way too soon and also it is polite to hear someone out or at least go through the motions to be polite rather then letting them travel 3 hours and making such a snap decision.

So hypothetically what if that job interview had gone well he talked to me for a good 45 minutes and i got the job? then would the guy really hesitate to sack me for a poor reason or simply because they decided they dont need anyone for that position as it turns out. Or even they are lying the job is temp but they advertised it as perm?

had I been offered and taken the job I could have been out of the job in under a month or two whilst having committed to a rental agreement and moved to London. How would that guy be about Holiday allowance or grievances or common decency?

you don't want to work for *******s.
It proves that I won't be steamrolled, as someone else said. Tired of employers thinking they can make candidates feel worthless after having dedicated so much time to them.
I don't care that I've sacrificed my chances, I wouldn't work for them now.

They don't owe you anything I'm afraid. They probably found someone better to hire and you should just get over it and find another job, but this time, don't send an aggressive e-mail if you don't hear back...

Latest

Trending

Trending