Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    This might seem like a dumb question, but do internationals even take domestic student's places? I thought the government dictated how many students of each they could take.
    Im not sure they do, The London School of Expatriates has nearly 50% foreign students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I know. Just wanted to know why you thought you did.

Although you could have someone refused entry to a university as I mentioned which could change his future. This future could have implications for us all such as a future Prime Minister etc.
    You could say that for any method of allocation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Im not sure they do, The London School of Expatriates has nearly 50% foreign students.
    lmao nice name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    I wasn't totally sure myself at first, but I have coem across users on this site stating they've been offered lower grades for the same course as other people most likely from the 'ability to pay'. If I find the comment I will post it to you here or in a PM, if it has not been deleted.

ReputationRep:
    You could say that for any method of allocation
    Yes you can but obviously certain allocations have a bigger implication than others.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can but obviously certain allocations have a bigger implication than others.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Well lets think of a situation.

It is possible that a law student will not be able to afford to take a law degree course at university or afraid of the financial debt and settles for a 'lesser' university. When in fact, this student could have gone to the more prestigeous universities and have perfomed in examinations just as well as he has the academic ability.

Later on in his life he could end up finding it difficult to earn such positions such as appellate judges in years to come to uphold justice, even though he would have been able enough academically at a 'higher' university. This is because the profession in question has a bias with certain universities. This person who graduated from a slightly lesser university could have doen a better job in the profession than those who came from bigger universities.

This could have implications on individuals such as myself and you. It could result in an acquittal due to a serious error made by someone from a bigger university, which would not have happened had the guy from the lesser university been rewarded this place. This means that it's possible that someone can be denied justice on this basis.

Is this what you were asking?

ReputationRep:
    Is this what you were asking?
    Not quite, just wondering how one method of allocation will have a larger implication for future prime ministers than others.

Say you can only get into oxbridge if you have a house income of £100k+, that's one method of allocation

Another is to do a standardised culture fair test on applicaiton, and the results of that alone are used to make decision. That would be another method of allocation.

How can you assert that one method will have a bigger implication on future PMs than another? :/

ReputationRep:
    How can you assert that one method will have a bigger implication on future PMs than another? :/
    The idea is that a lot of PMs have a legal background, most notably from Oxford. Who says that an equivalent candidate who graduated from a non-elitist university or a lesser one such as Manchester can't do the job?

I posed the question to be considered in a very wide context.

Hope you can see what I'm getting at

ReputationRep:
    The idea is that a lot of PMs have a legal background, most notably from Oxford. Who says that an equivalent candidate who graduated from a non-elitist university or a lesser one such as Manchester can't do the job?

I posed the question to be considered in a very wide context.

Hope you can see what I'm getting at
    Ahhh right. I do get you now. Well, there is no hard and fast rule, just 'tendancies.' We can only do our best.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh right. I do get you now.
    Excellent. I was going to bring in one profession from a foreign country which shows a classic case of a Harvard graduate who gets to run the country, yet has appeared to be such a dork, but thought I didn't want yet another thread about him!

Why are we both up this time of the day? :eek:

ReputationRep:

Why are we both up this time of the day? :eek:
    Because we've ruined out bodyclocks. Let's trivialise this debate forum and make idle banter for a bit. Spiders should totally be extinct, we've had like 12 in the past 3 days.

ReputationRep:
    Because we've ruined out bodyclocks. Let's trivialise this debate forum and make idle banter for a bit. Spiders should totally be extinct, we've had like 12 in the past 3 days.
    Ah pests! Those lanky ones which like to hang out in the edge of rooms on the ceiling?

ReputationRep:
    Ah pests! Those lanky ones which like to hang out in the edge of rooms on the ceiling?
    I don't mind them so much actually, at least they're on the edges. And they tend to stay there and be predictable and not creep onto your face. The ones that concern me are the ones that scuttle about the floor, climb up the sofa, or the walls.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind them so much actually, at least they're on the edges. And they tend to stay there and be predictable and not creep onto your face. The ones that concern me are the ones that scuttle about the floor, climb up the sofa, or the walls.

Yes but I swear these lanky ones, harvestman I think they're called, are asexual. I've seen quite a few. I've only seen one spider cross the floor and he went into the garden. Obviously not too keen on spiders are you?

I dislike wasps more, especially now since they've increased a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but I swear these lanky ones, harvestman I think they're called, are asexual. I've seen quite a few. I've only seen one spider cross the floor and he went into the garden. Obviously not too keen on spiders are you?

I dislike wasps more, especially now since they've increased a lot more.
    ooh wasps are no problem, I did get stung the other day, ouchie mama. But yeah, nothing to be scared of, just flail like a madman

ReputationRep:
    ooh wasps are no problem, I did get stung the other day, ouchie mama. But yeah, nothing to be scared of, just flail like a madman
    And with people drinking carbonated drinks during the summer in the playing fields in the heat aren't helping. I'd rather not get stung, the itchiness is annoying.

ReputationRep:
    This is an extremely selfish idea, people would no longer give things for their children. Also the country would never progress as people would never be getting richer just all staying at the same level, and the next generation having to start from that level again.
    This is a stupid idea, over regulation is killing this country, in short, it's my money and i'll do with it what i please even it means leaving it to my kids.
    GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

ReputationRep:
    What is your problem with people leaving land or money to their kids in their will anyway? Maybe you're just jealous because your folks aren't leaving you anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
    What is your problem with people leaving land or money to their kids in their will anyway? Maybe you're just jealous because your folks aren't leaving you anything.
    Actualy I'm getting quite a large sum of money and I've found it rather surprising that out of the people that I've told its the poorer people that object the most. My problem is that I havn't done anything to earn this money - I want a system where people have to earn things rather than just being free loaders and living off what their parents gave them. BTW - I said from the start that in todays social system the idea couldn't work - I'm jsut trying to find out what people think of it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.