Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So yesterday was my birthday. I live around 2 hours away from where I grew up, for some perspective. My mum and sister both came to see me and go out to lunch with me. They were both short on money, so put their money together to buy me a gift they knew I wanted, and I offered to pay for lunch. They bought me some lovely cards, and we had a lovely day.
    In sharp contrast, my dad has not visited me in the nearly 4 years I have lived here. He has no idea what my address is, or even roughly what area I live in. He's recently stopped paying my mum child support, which a measly amount of money agreed when they split up. He has a GF (he left my mum for her) who was made redundant. She used her redundancy pay to buy herself a new car, and put both of them into financial difficulty for the few months where she was unemployed. She now has a job, but my dad is still not making any payments. To top it all off, he has not sent me a birthday card. Nothing. I got a WhatsApp message yesterday morning, and that has been it.
    I've spent today upset, in the past I've been able to say screw him, and move on, but this time I'm really upset by it all. My mum is struggling to live day by day, and is paying the mortgage on a house he's still on the deeds for. When she comes to move, due to financial necessity, I imagine he will lay claim to half of that, regardless.
    Sorry for the long post, I'm just so angry and frustrated, and stupidly, upset that my dad couldn't even bother to send me a birthday card. Any advice?
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So yesterday was my birthday. I live around 2 hours away from where I grew up, for some perspective. My mum and sister both came to see me and go out to lunch with me. They were both short on money, so put their money together to buy me a gift they knew I wanted, and I offered to pay for lunch. They bought me some lovely cards, and we had a lovely day.
    In sharp contrast, my dad has not visited me in the nearly 4 years I have lived here. He has no idea what my address is, or even roughly what area I live in. He's recently stopped paying my mum child support, which a measly amount of money agreed when they split up. He has a GF (he left my mum for her) who was made redundant. She used her redundancy pay to buy herself a new car, and put both of them into financial difficulty for the few months where she was unemployed. She now has a job, but my dad is still not making any payments. To top it all off, he has not sent me a birthday card. Nothing. I got a WhatsApp message yesterday morning, and that has been it.
    I've spent today upset, in the past I've been able to say screw him, and move on, but this time I'm really upset by it all. My mum is struggling to live day by day, and is paying the mortgage on a house he's still on the deeds for. When she comes to move, due to financial necessity, I imagine he will lay claim to half of that, regardless.
    Sorry for the long post, I'm just so angry and frustrated, and stupidly, upset that my dad couldn't even bother to send me a birthday card. Any advice?
    Sad when one parent cannot be bothered to make the effort, I don't really know what else to say other than I am sorry to hear this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm really sorry to hear this!x I hope everything gets better soon!x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry hear this and I hope everything works out soon!

I think your mom may be entitled to financial support if she goes to the Job Centre and tells them her story, there are financial assistance for people who are struggling.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It seems out of your control. Only feasible solution would be to visit him and have a long talk.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.