The Student Room Group

Work experience at law firms

Before we start i am aware that this is probably in the wrong place, yet i though that if anybody would be qualified to answer my question it would be you.
I am in year 10 and for several years i have been interesting in a career in law. Preferably an international lawyer or failing that a corprate solicitor. However, this year i am also doing my work experience. I was wondering, how likely is it that i would be able to get work experience at a top london law firm. If this would be completely out of the question could you please post some suggestions for me. Remember, i am very interested in a career in law.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
t kay13
Before we start i am aware that this is probably in the wrong place, yet i though that if anybody would be qualified to answer my question it would be you.
I am in year 10 and for several years i have been interesting in a career in law. Preferably an international lawyer or failing that a corprate solicitor. However, this year i am also doing my work experience. I was wondering, how likely is it that i would be able to get work experience at a top london law firm. If this would be completely out of the question could you please post some suggestions for me. Remember, i am very interested in a career in law.

Probably completely out of the question unless you know someone. Get some experience at a High Street firm, apply to a top 10 uni, then apply for a vacation scheme at a top city law firm. You're a bit bloody young, aren't you?!
Niccolo
Probably completely out of the question unless you know someone

Exactly right... you can probably only get that kind of experience if a relative or family friend is an employee/client of the firm. Get your parents to ask around!
Reply 3
Ok thanks, i had already thought that it may be slightly out of the question
Tbh, legal work experience is pretty unnecessary at this stage. It doesn't help you get into uni because they're interested in your academic (not practical) legal potential. But if you want to do some (probably in an area of law you'll never reconsider - most people don't want to be probate lawyers!) then High Street is probably the best option or possibly a small commercial/west end firm might be a possibility, but the likes of the MC/US firms or whatever bascially only take work experience students who are clients/partners kids!
Reply 5
You don't need to have that kind of experience at your stage. It would either (i) scare the hell out of you so that you never think about law again, or (ii) bore you to tears and improve your tea making no end.
Reply 6
Year 10? Join the back of the queue pal.
Is year 10 when you're 15? Sorry, I went to private school, and we called 'years' (so common) 'forms'. I think it's Form 4, but I'm not sure.

And before you say that's a stupid system - it makes sense, just look at sixth form and work it out...
Reply 8
Lewisy-boy
Tbh, legal work experience is pretty unnecessary at this stage. It doesn't help you get into uni because they're interested in your academic (not practical) legal potential. But if you want to do some (probably in an area of law you'll never reconsider - most people don't want to be probate lawyers!) then High Street is probably the best option or possibly a small commercial/west end firm might be a possibility, but the likes of the MC/US firms or whatever bascially only take work experience students who are clients/partners kids!

They have such an amazing time though, get taken to client lunches etc "lets go and meet daddy, make sure he gives us some more business". One of the girls on one of my vac schemes was actually made to give up her regular desk for one of these wonderful 17year olds.

To be honest, there is no point having this kind of work experience, unless you do really go to a top tier school because law admissions tutors will simply judge that you have lawyer parents and thus, you could actually be penalised. The most useful work experience to get would definitely be in a criminal law chambers, but you normally need to be 18.

When I was a wee 17 year old, I went to the Cambridge Law Conference (which I fully recommend, do a google search for student law conference, cambridge university) and was lucky enough to get a day shadowing a partner at an MC firm (in a competition quiz).
I remember walking into the office on one of my vac schemes to be met by a client in a double breasted suit looking pompous as hell and his 16 year old son, who was wearing one of those blazers with gold buttons looking ever so public school. I actually almost cried it was so funny, but the lad was sitting down the corridor from me - most amusing.
Reply 10
Lewis, ever thought that perhaps some of the lawyers where you did your vac schemes might have had a bit of a chuckle at your expense?!
yeah probably, they can feel free, i would!
Reply 12
Talking of work experience, when should we start applying? I don't really know all the terminology, but when should i think about applying for 'vac schemes' and work experience in general? I have just finished A level and am about to go into my first year. Do firms generally want you to have done a year at uni first?
Reply 13
if you're doing a law degree, try to get a vac scheme in the summer of your penultimate year (though you have to apply in the previous november). if a non-law degree, you can try for that time as well, though it's likely that you'll be more successful applying for schemes in the christmas of your final year.
I live in Leeds so it's slightly different, but at the beginning of the summer holidays i wrote to literally all the law firms in Leeds, and anything to do with law.

I ended up with two employment offers from Chambers, and one from a solicitor's which i guess is like work experience, but better! I ended up taking the opportunity of Zenith Chambers-and loved it!
It wouldn't matter. In year10 you don't have a clue whats going on in the law, and you wouldn't get to do anything other than sit in their swanky office and do some photocopying. Like most work exp really. The only conceivable benefit would be talking to trainees, which admittedly could be handy, but you'll get plenty of opportunities to do that down the line.
Reply 16
jacketpotato
you wouldn't get to do anything other than sit in [a] swanky office and do some photocopying. Like most work exp really.

Like most trainees really...
Reply 17
I am hopefully starting my degree studies in October and have done three days of work experience at a solicitor firm in London and have received offers for a 3 day, 2 day and 1 week mini pupillages from three different chambers. For the latter I simply sent my CV and a cover letter by email, enquiring about a possibility of doing some legal work experience etc.
stacey4415
I live in Leeds so it's slightly different, but at the beginning of the summer holidays i wrote to literally all the law firms in Leeds, and anything to do with law.

I ended up with two employment offers from Chambers, and one from a solicitor's which i guess is like work experience, but better! I ended up taking the opportunity of Zenith Chambers-and loved it!

i did that last summer and got nothing in return :-(
Reply 19
Having looked at a lot of law firm websites for graduate recruitment jobs, this is the only law firm I've seen offering something to people who are in school http://www.pinsentmasons.com/Default.aspx?page=1578

they are a "top 15 UK law firm" according to their site

It's more than a CV thing, though. I think it's a full application form - and if you fill it in take your time and research the firm!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending