Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Block someone from using my internet ? SKY Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My step brother is forever leaving his laptop to stream videos while playing intensive games on the PC throughout the night and he likes to have Skype running on his Ipad. This is almost every night to the point where I cannot even access the internet as it says "took to long to respond" or "unable to load webpage, check internet connection".
    He is much closer to the Sky Router than me so I was wondering is there any way I could either give my laptop priority which I use for Sixth Form stuff and I work from home so Wifi is needed or is there a way I could disconnect him from the internet for a set time period ?
    I know all the login info to sky as well as within the 192.168.0.1 settings if this makes it any easier.
    Thank you so much
    Lee

*I've asked him politely for a while now before you think I'm just cutting him off and "my" internet in title meaning I pay for it as parents don't see the point of internet. I've let him use it for a long time now but it's beyond a joke that I'm paying for it so I can continue my work and study yet I have barely any access to it. Do not want to change Wifi password as I don't mind his phone being connected and parents occasionally using it but its just when its used intensively to the point where I cant use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    Hi,
    My step brother is forever leaving his laptop to stream videos while playing intensive games on the PC throughout the night and he likes to have Skype running on his Ipad. This is almost every night to the point where I cannot even access the internet as it says "took to long to respond" or "unable to load webpage, check internet connection".
    He is much closer to the Sky Router than me so I was wondering is there any way I could either give my laptop priority which I use for Sixth Form stuff and I work from home so Wifi is needed or is there a way I could disconnect him from the internet for a set time period ?
    I know all the login info to sky as well as within the 192.168.0.1 settings if this makes it any easier.
    Thank you so much
    Lee

I've asked him politely for a while now.
    Technically no you could change the wifi password but that would lock him out entirely.

You could up your plan it sounds cheap or get a cat6 rj45 Ethernet cable and plug directly into the router.

ReputationRep:
    I know bt has time restrictions and settings for each individual connection on the admin page within the 192... address. I'm sure sky should have one too or maybe try to get a wireless ethernet power line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Technically no you could change the wifi password but that would lock him out entirely.

You could up your plan it sounds cheap or get a cat6 rj45 Ethernet cable and plug directly into the router.
    Yeah see that is not ideal as I don't mind others using it, just wish it was not always so intensive usage.
    I could improve the plan but I'm only here for a few more months then off to uni and its around 40 a month so do not really want to be paying more than that good idea though.
    My bedroom/office is right over the other side of the house and another storey up from the Router plug in point, I'm not sure if they sell cables that long and more importantly how I'd get it across the entire house, I'll have a look tonight to see if there is a easy path I could take.
    Thank you for your reply,

I'll update you if I find a easy path for the cable

ReputationRep:
    Block his mac address.
    Enable mac address filtering, then block ones that aren't yours.
    There are many apps and stuff to find people connected to your isp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casisalive)
    I know bt has time restrictions and settings for each individual connection on the admin page within the 192... address. I'm sure sky should have one too or maybe try to get a wireless ethernet power line
    I'm sure they do just been struggling to find the correct page.
    I have a wireless N600 booster in my room but I think my step brothers room intercepts the signal before it even reaches that which is a shame.
    Going to keep on digging around in these settings
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarthaginianII)
    Block his mac address.
    Enable mac address filtering, then block ones that aren't yours.
    There are many apps and stuff to find people connected to your isp.
    Could you please tell me how to do this ?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Could you please tell me how to do this ?
    Thank you
    Not really sure how this works on Sky, but you could give google a try.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they do just been struggling to find the correct page.
    I have a wireless N600 booster in my room but I think my step brothers room intercepts the signal before it even reaches that which is a shame.
    Going to keep on digging around in these settings
    Thank you
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...php?t=5335765B give this a look, someone is saying a certain model number won't do it but someone else tells you what area to look under

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.