Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is everyone finding the new 9-1 Maths GCSE Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    The new spec is similar in difficulty to the old spec but the old exam was much easier. The 9-1 exam will have 50% grade 7-9 questions (A/A* in the old spec), which is a big change.

But the grade boundaries will be set so that the percentage of students who got e.g. an A in the old exam will be the same as the percentage who get a 7 in the new exam. So students sitting the new spec won't be at any disadvantage in theory.

Be prepared for some crazy grade boundaries!
    I'm hoping everyone is finding it difficult so nationally we all do worse off and the grade boundaries will be lower :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    In what ways do you feel the difficulty has increased?
    Mainly the introduction of basic A-Level syllabus such as iteration, which was in Paper 3 and no one had prepared for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IQlizard)
    Mainly the introduction of basic A-Level syllabus such as iteration, which was in Paper 3 and no one had prepared for it
    Iteration isn't very difficult at all though wouldn't you agree?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping everyone is finding it difficult so nationally we all do worse off and the grade boundaries will be lower :crossedf:
    They are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Iteration isn't very difficult at all though wouldn't you agree?
    It isn't particularly difficult but the general syllabus expansion makes it harder to know everything needed

ReputationRep:
    wow

ReputationRep:
    It isn't particularly difficult but the general syllabus expansion makes it harder to know everything needed
    thats simply not true

ReputationRep:
    there is going to be a big kerfuffle when the results come out in August.

at higher level: the private schools will scoop the grade 9s

the foundation results will be an apocalypse: only about 20% will score the equivalent of grade C.

thanks Mr Gove
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    there is going to be a big kerfuffle when the results come out in August.

at higher level: the private schools will scoop the grade 9s

the foundation results will be an apocalypse: only about 20% will score the equivalent of grade C.

thanks Mr Gove
    The percentage who get C in the old exam will be around the same as the percentage who get a 4 (~25%) in the new exam. And the percentage who get A* will be the same as the percentage who get 8/9. So you can think of a grade 9 as equivalent to an A**.

So this all sounds fine to me. The only problem will be when 5 becomes a "pass" in the same way that C used to be.

ReputationRep:
    The percentage who get C in the old exam will be around the same as the percentage who get a 4 (~25%) in the new exam. And the percentage who get A* will be the same as the percentage who get 8/9. So you can think of a grade 9 as equivalent to an A**.

So this all sounds fine to me. The only problem will be when 5 becomes a "pass" in the same way that C used to be.
    it will end in tears. asking foundationers to do trig and remember sin cos and tan for various angles is ridiculous.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it will end in tears. asking foundationers to do trig and remember sin cos and tan for various angles is ridiculous.
    This I agree with. I see no reason why that was added to the foundation spec.

But again this won't be a big problem in terms of grades since the percentages will remain similar from the previous exam to the new exam. Although the grade boundaries are going to be hilarious!

ReputationRep:
    I find it really hard. I don't know why really. But I'm working on it. I'm going for a 9, I got a 8 in the PiXL curve but that was apparently over generous. There was also the recent mocks, I got a 5+.

ReputationRep:
    Iteration can look a bit scary at first, but after some time you'll get used to how to do it

ReputationRep:
    This I agree with. I see no reason why that was added to the foundation spec.

But again this won't be a big problem in terms of grades since the percentages will remain similar from the previous exam to the new exam. Although the grade boundaries are going to be hilarious!
    there is no reason why the intermediate level cannot be re-instated; pretending that foundation students are able to master difficult topics is just unkind.

ReputationRep:
    pretty good

ReputationRep:
    I agree that they are harder, I got a 3/4 on my mocks which is bad, my teacher said a 9 is around 90% lol
    I'm aiming for at least a 7, I did another mock and I got a 6 the thing I find hard is the way they word the questions now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Got a grade 8 in my mocks - it's not easy, the old spec is much easier than this.
    Thats soo good how did u prepare?

tasha_tah Hows it going?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lychee627)
      tasha_tah Hows it going?
      hahah
      yeah i dont like it coz its gone harder:sad: but someone is gonna help me achieve the level 7 they believe i can go for

(Original post by tasha_tah)
        hahah
        yeah i dont like it coz its gone harder:sad: but someone is gonna help me achieve the level 7 they believe i can go for
        Haha obviously , but someone never asks me for help nowadays :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.