Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Co worker sent me friend request watch

ReputationRep:
    I like to be professional at work and keep my work and personal life as separate as I can. A new guy started last week and he sent me a friend request on Facebook. I really don't want to accept it because of the reason above. I have only ever made one exception and that is only because I was extremely close to that person and because they left work as well. I've just ignored it now and will continue to do so I think unless they bring it up.

I got a friend request from someone I've worked with for 2 years a couple of months ago and I ignored it and it hasn't changed anything between us at all and I hope I can just do the same here. Any thoughts?

what wrong with dating your co worker? ( just asking). just accept the friend request it's not that big of a deal 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    what wrong with dating your co worker? ( just asking). just accept the friend request it's not that big of a deal 😊
    I don't want date them I'm straight for a start and there a guy lol. I just don't see the point in adding them. I like to come across as professional at my job and don't want to add people I don't see myself seeing outside of work. Like I said I've only made one exception and it's with this girl I'm good friends with who I don't mind spending my personal life with but I don't see the point in adding someone if I won't be spending time with outside of work. If I start to like him in future and think we could be good friends I may add him but until then I don't see the point. I know that sounds extremely anti social but like I said I want people to see me as someone who works hard and don't want to mix my personal and work life together.

ReputationRep:
    Don't add him if you don't want to. You don't have to justify it to him or anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine. I agree it's best not to have general colleagues as f/b friends. Now if he is a genuine friend or you fancy the pants off him it might be a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're overthinking things and being a bit weird tbh. Basically everyone is happy to accept friend requests from co-workers.

But it's your choice of course.

(Original post by oZombiex2)
    I don't want date them I'm straight for a start and there a guy lol. I just don't see the point in adding them. I like to come across as professional at my job and don't want to add people I don't see myself seeing outside of work. Like I said I've only made one exception and it's with this girl I'm good friends with who I don't mind spending my personal life with but I don't see the point in adding someone if I won't be spending time with outside of work. If I start to like him in future and think we could be good friends I may add him but until then I don't see the point. I know that sounds extremely anti social but like I said I want people to see me as someone who works hard and don't want to mix my personal and work life together.
    oh I'm sorry I was assuming you were a girl. my bad 😊. if you don't want to add them or accept their friend request,that's fine. it's up to you tbh. however if I were you I wouldn't mind accepting it. but just do what you feel comfortable with. At the end of the day no one's forcing you do something you dont want to do. good luck 😆

ReputationRep:
    It's not a big deal to not want colleagues on FB. Just don't accept it and if he asks or queries it then tell him you pprefer not to have colleagues on FB.

ReputationRep:
    i am the same. i keep professional and personal lives very separate. your life, your rules!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.