Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

dog getting in the way of our relationship Watch

okay I know this might sound really silly but I am **** scared of dogs. I can't be anywhere near them without shiting my pants. my boyfreind has a dog (it looks like a wolf no joke). me and my boyfriend don't live together and we have been together for like 4 months. and I dont come over unless his dog is not there.

he loves his dog a lot which is really cute however he thinks I'm being a baby. and he has even suggested we break up because of this and his dog is not going anywhere. he can't seem to accept the fact that I am scared of them.(I was attacked by one when I was a kid and I even have the scar to prove it) and ever since then I hated being around dogs and just hate the sight of them.

shall I just break up him? what if we decide to move in together one day? I know it won't work out with the dog being there. deep down i want him to get rid of it but I know it will be selfish of me to ask him too. I dont know what to do...

ReputationRep:
    Does your boyfriend have a Husky voice?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasonDu)
    I genuinly laughed. Have a rep

ReputationRep:
    if he won't accept your wishes about the dog you should leave him.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can ask your boyfriend to get rid of the dog anymore than he can ask you to just 'get over' the fear. I think you need to have a proper discussion about it and if you both know you can't resolve the difference then you should probably break up. It's not fair on you to be constantly scared of the dog and it's not fair on him to get rid of an animal he clearly loves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if he won't accept your wishes about the dog you should leave him.
    No good barking your head off at him,

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be keen on dating a girl with a big dog either, i've been attacked by them and chased by them when I was younger too. It's a miracle I somehow didn't get bitten...

ReputationRep:
    You're both approaching this situation in an entirely wrong way.

He's too unreasonable and uncaring in regards to your fear and anxiety, and you're being unyielding in your phobia. Ideally, he should try harder to understand how you feel, and you should try to grasp that the majority of dogs, especially those kept as pets, are perfectly tame and affectionate. Therefore, he should try to make more space for the two of you to spend time where his dog wouldn't be present, and you should take slow steps to get accustomed to the dog. Realistically speaking, dogs are everywhere and a lot of people have them and you can't avoid them for the rest of your life. It's up to you to control and handle your phobia.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're being more unreasonable here. OK he could be more considerate and understanding if you have a genuine phobia but you can't expect him to get rid of his dog for you, you may hate them but to most people pets are like family. He obviously loves the dog. I do think that a dog phobia isn't particularly good for your general life - perhaps use this as an opportunity to try and overcome your fear? e.g. slowly get closer to the dog over time.

ReputationRep:
    Ahahahahahaahaha, nice one! Have another rep

ReputationRep:
    No good barking your head off at him,
    PRSOM

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.