Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Am attempting to self teach M1 and M2. Has anyone done this and could offer any tips, suggest how long it will take? Is it worth self teaching these extra modules (bearing in mind I'm hoping to sit STEP next summer). I do AS Physics if that means anything. Would it be possible to learn it all this half term? I've read through the M1 revision guide and it doesn't seem too difficult.
    Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogdogdog)
    Am attempting to self teach M1 and M2. Has anyone done this and could offer any tips, suggest how long it will take? Is it worth self teaching these extra modules (bearing in mind I'm hoping to sit STEP next summer). I do AS Physics if that means anything. Would it be possible to learn it all this half term? I've read through the M1 revision guide and it doesn't seem too difficult.
    Thanks!
    I'm self teaching M1; it's not too difficult to self teach, it can be done in a week, but it'll likely take longer to understand the trickier questions; it took me under 4 weeks to self teach and get As in past papers, but it took me a while to understand some concepts as they were completely new and I'm not particularly good at physics or even decent. I am not doing M2, but I know someone who is self teaching and says it's not much harder than M1.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    Hey, sorry I can't exactly answer your question, but I'd like to know if you've done other maths modules and how you found it to self teach those? How long did it take you roughly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Hey, sorry I can't exactly answer your question, but I'd like to know if you've done other maths modules and how you found it to self teach those? How long did it take you roughly?
    Hey, sorry I can't be of much help, I'm only self teaching M1 and M2. Other modules I'm doing are C1, C2, S1, D1, FP1, FP2 (all edexcel) but I'm being taught these at school.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    Aren't your school teaching this module? We offer all choices in class.

I do know that some students in another school taught themselves M1 over the summer - one chapter a week and then sat the module in the Jan of Year 13 but that exam session does not exist now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    I'm self teaching M1; it's not too difficult to self teach, it can be done in a week, but it'll likely take longer to understand the trickier questions; it took me under 4 weeks to self teach and get As in past papers, but it took me a while to understand some concepts as they were completely new and I'm not particularly good at physics or even decent. I am not doing M2, but I know someone who is self teaching and says it's not much harder than M1.
    Thank you! How are you going about self teaching M1? Going through the textbook/watching videos etc? Not too sure where to begin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Aren't your school teaching this module? We offer all choices in class.

I do know that some students in another school taught themselves M1 over the summer - one chapter a week and then sat the module in the Jan of Year 13 but that exam session does not exist now.
    Nope - we don't have choice of modules.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry I can't be of much help, I'm only self teaching M1 and M2. Other modules I'm doing are C1, C2, S1, D1, FP1, FP2 (all edexcel) but I'm being taught these at school.
    No worries! Best of luck with your studies
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! How are you going about self teaching M1? Going through the textbook/watching videos etc? Not too sure where to begin.
    I slowly went through the textbook, going through all the examples and answering every single question and repeated every question I initially got wrong, I also watched videos by ukmathsteacher and examsolutions if I didn't understand something, then I used Madasmaths.com and did a few exam papers.

When I started the trig confused me sometimes with moving forces around and all that, so I looked at different methods and just adapted them to make it easier for me to understand.

ReputationRep:
    Nope - we don't have choice of modules.
    Don't the Further Maths class study it?

Next year everyone has to learn mechancs so one of your teachers must be able to help you ...

I'd set yourself a couple of chapters a week in the summer - you'll get lots of help on here. I love teaching mechanics

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    I self taught M1 last year - it took me around 6 weeks though (on top of schoolwork for 3 other a levels). I think a week is pushing it a bit, M1 isn't the easiest module - 2/3 weeks may be realistic if you really work hard. The exam solutions videos are a miracle! Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.