Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

feel empty... haven't started dissertation... on a third degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am in my third year and due to personal issues, I clearly haven't worked as hard as I could have. I now have about 6 weeks to hand in my dissertation and to complete 4 other modules so that hopefully, I can raise my degree up to a 2:2.

Is this possible??? and do you have any good study tips to get everything done within my time constraint?

I appreciate it is my fault i am in this position but all help will be very useful

ReputationRep:
    You just need to work really hard. There isn't really a secret trick to it but you're going to have to be working long hours every day now until you hand in your dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    You just need to work really hard. There isn't really a secret trick to it but you're going to have to be working long hours every day now until you hand in your dissertation.
    it's just the juggling of four subjects and a dissertation within a limited time that's scaring me - but would you say it's possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 882188x)
    it's just the juggling of four subjects and a dissertation within a limited time that's scaring me - but would you say it's possible?
    It's absolutely possible, if you start now. Stop delaying it, make sure to get at least a couple of hours of work done each day, with a good amount of breaks.

What I would do is 45 minutes of work (without procrastinating or being distracted at all) and give yourself 15 minutes to completely rest and relax, and then move onto the next module and do the same thing.

For example:
    13:00 Module 1 45 minutes
    14:00 Module 2 45 minutes
    15:00 Module 3 45 minutes
    BREAK
    17:00 Module 4 45 minutes
    18:00-20:00 Dissertation 90 minutes

This may be good for Saturdays and Sundays, when you have no lectures to attend to, but I would recommend doing the above to get enough work done.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, what you need to do now is cut your losses... the worst thing you can do is end up with something left over which you don't complete... my personal taste is that I work best when I focus on one project at a time rather than doing a little of everything each day but if you think you'd get bored doing that then set yourself time aside each day for each subject/diss. What I would do is say I have 4-5 days per subject and then devote the rest to my diss. So I would (for an essay) research for two days solidly and then after two days I start writing up regardless of whether I think I've done enough, I spend two days writing up and then I stop and walk away from it. Next day I start essay no 2 and do the same thing. When I finish essay no 2 I would spend 1-3 hours going over essay no 1 as sometimes you can find more impovements after a break. Then I start essay no. 3... and so on. The main point is to schedule in at what point you need to be done with each section and force yourself to keep moving on - if you ever finish something early or have spare time you can go back and make improvements but you'll lose more marks for a half finished essay than you'll gain by perfecting the essay before it and same with your diss - better to submit every section at a basic standard than to submit half of it at a good standard.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, what you need to do now is cut your losses... the worst thing you can do is end up with something left over which you don't complete... my personal taste is that I work best when I focus on one project at a time rather than doing a little of everything each day but if you think you'd get bored doing that then set yourself time aside each day for each subject/diss. What I would do is say I have 4-5 days per subject and then devote the rest to my diss. So I would (for an essay) research for two days solidly and then after two days I start writing up regardless of whether I think I've done enough, I spend two days writing up and then I stop and walk away from it. Next day I start essay no 2 and do the same thing. When I finish essay no 2 I would spend 1-3 hours going over essay no 1 as sometimes you can find more impovements after a break. Then I start essay no. 3... and so on. The main point is to schedule in at what point you need to be done with each section and force yourself to keep moving on - if you ever finish something early or have spare time you can go back and make improvements but you'll lose more marks for a half finished essay than you'll gain by perfecting the essay before it and same with your diss - better to submit every section at a basic standard than to submit half of it at a good standard.
    (Original post by Quizlet)
    It's absolutely possible, if you start now. Stop delaying it, make sure to get at least a couple of hours of work done each day, with a good amount of breaks.

What I would do is 45 minutes of work (without procrastinating or being distracted at all) and give yourself 15 minutes to completely rest and relax, and then move onto the next module and do the same thing.

For example:
    13:00 Module 1 45 minutes
    14:00 Module 2 45 minutes
    15:00 Module 3 45 minutes
    BREAK
    17:00 Module 4 45 minutes
    18:00-20:00 Dissertation 90 minutes

This may be good for Saturdays and Sundays, when you have no lectures to attend to, but I would recommend doing the above to get enough work done.
    Iam overall quite a very poor student so I'm wondering if it is possible for me to really suddenly get the top grades, but working hard should equal success:no: But thank you guys <3 <3

ReputationRep:
    Iam overall quite a very poor student so I'm wondering if it is possible for me to really suddenly get the top grades, but working hard should equal success:no: But thank you guys <3 <3
    you're not aiming for top grades, you want to bring yourself up a small amount - which is very doable

ReputationRep:
    You meant 3rd year in the title right... or maybe both? If you're poor and you've done 3 degrees I have to hand it to you! Dunno what would have possessed you though.

ReputationRep:
    you're not aiming for top grades, you want to bring yourself up a small amount - which is very doable
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    You meant 3rd year in the title right... or maybe both? If you're poor and you've done 3 degrees I have to hand it to you! Dunno what would have possessed you though.
    I basically need to get above 50% in all 4 subjects and dissertation to graduate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I basically need to get above 50% in all 4 subjects and dissertation to graduate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    50% is really not that hard if you put some work in, stop making excuses and just get started

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    why did you quote me you didn't answer my question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    why did you quote me you didn't answer my question
    I'm sorry ! was an accident. And I mean, yes I am in my third and final year but I'm on a third class honours. Which I want to work to get to a second class

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.