Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Recently I have been to applicant days to assess what studying Business Management at UEA or Sussex is like. Personally, what they had on offer at Sussex in relation to the course felt a lot more satisfying due to the fact they offer choice of electives and a greater range of modules. Furthermore, the placement scheme they have going for themselves seems to lead their graduates into greater job prospects.

However, I didn't quite get the same 'feel' for the social aspect of the Campus. Compared to UEA, I felt like things were slightly more dull with less events/societies to participate in. Particularly the music scene. Something else I got a sense of was the fact that everyone usually migrates to Brighton when going out. Personally (this is all just my opinion) the aesthetics weren't a nice as UEA. Despite this though, I feel they offer a course which could offer it's graduates slightly better job opportunities due to the placement year that they offer.

I was wondering if there were any students of either university, or people in general who have visited either, that could give me their thoughts and insight into what they may think? I intend to firm in the next week but still unsure on either right now :L
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studento)
    Hey everyone!

Recently I have been to applicant days to assess what studying Business Management at UEA or Sussex is like. Personally, what they had on offer at Sussex in relation to the course felt a lot more satisfying due to the fact they offer choice of electives and a greater range of modules. Furthermore, the placement scheme they have going for themselves seems to lead their graduates into greater job prospects.

However, I didn't quite get the same 'feel' for the social aspect of the Campus. Compared to UEA, I felt like things were slightly more dull with less events/societies to participate in. Particularly the music scene. Something else I got a sense of was the fact that everyone usually migrates to Brighton when going out. Personally (this is all just my opinion) the aesthetics weren't a nice as UEA. Despite this though, I feel they offer a course which could offer it's graduates slightly better job opportunities due to the placement year that they offer.

I was wondering if there were any students of either university, or people in general who have visited either, that could give me their thoughts and insight into what they may think? I intend to firm in the next week but still unsure on either right now :L
    If you're unsure then don't firm next week.

Make your decision but don't make it official until April. If you're still happy with your choice then it's less likely that you'll change your mind. Once you've made your firm choice on Track it is much more complicated to change your mind.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with PQ, if you're unsure you've no need to rush this! Did you attend an Applicant Day at both institutions? If not, it's worth doing so. You can also visit UEA for a morning or afternoon Campus Tour or a mini Open Day before you have to make a decision in May to get a further feel for the place and area. It really does come down to personal choice, both institutions are respectable, and I don't believe an employer is going to judge your merits based on which you decide on. Indeed at UEA graduates from this course had a respectable 91.4% employment success rate within 6 months according to DLHE 2014-15.

With UEA we're a UK Top 15 university and, what I think is really important, is ever since the National Student Survey began about 11 years ago we've been consistently ranked Top 5 for student satisfaction. Knowing the majority of students are very happy is key as being somewhere you're happy is surely going to help you achieve your best! We're also Top 10 for student experience according to The Times Higher Education survey of students, and in the same survey our campus came out top for best campus environment in the UK. So we're hearing great things from the people that go here

Moreover, if you love gigs, you're going to love UEA. We've got the LCR run by our Student Union where students and members of the public go for the latest bands in Norwich. They also run the Waterfront in the city which is for up-and-coming artists. When I was at UEA I saw Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, Lily Allen, Haim, Coldplay, etc. Giggs and Stormzy were announced for this Spring, and sold out within minutes, so there's a big community of music fans here: https://ueatickets.ticketabc.com/listings/. The SU also put on weekly club nights and fancy dress nights too! Then you've got over 200 clubs and societies all arranging regular nights out and meets surrounding your common interests, and on campus there were loads of public events like evening lectures, political debates, evening classes, poetry nights, comedy nights, etc. All chances to mix with different people!

The city is also considered a great shopping destination, and one of the safest student cities. It is also said to have once had a pub for everyday of the year so there's plenty of choice for a night out

Additionally UEA being based away from London (although still only a 2 hour train journey from Norwich) means the cost of living is a little lower. We have lower cost renting options on campus, and there are some cheaper housing options in the private sector. If you're thinking about a budget as a reason where to choose this could be an important one.

Let us know if you have more questions, but don't rush the decision, and do visit again if you're really struggling

Poll
Would you rather
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.