Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should convicted pedophiles receive the death penalty? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should pedophiles be killed?
    Yes
    36.67%
    No
    63.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    I think its very dangerous to brand paedophilia as a sexuality. It's a mental illness.
    Could it be said to be a mental illness that changes sexuality? In effect that's what it is I guess...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Could it be said to be a mental illness that changes sexuality? In effect that's what it is I guess...?
    No, it's a mental illness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    If a mental illness changes your sexual preferences, you can't say "You don't have those preferences it's an illness."

Seems kinda like telling an extremely depressed person that they don't actually feel bad, it's an illness, even though the illness blatantly changes their mental state.

ReputationRep:
    If a mental illness changes your sexual preferences, you can't say "You don't have those preferences it's an illness."

Seems kinda like telling an extremely depressed person that they don't actually feel bad, it's an illness, even though the illness blatantly changes their mental state.
    I'm baffled. How can you compare depression with paedophilia? With depression, most of the time the only people who directly get hurt from the condition are the individuals themselves. With paedophilia, this often creates child molesters who take out their urges on defenceless children. Yes, it is a sexual preference but it would be a HUGE mistake to call it a 'sexuality'. There are people out there who want to abolish the age of consent and ideas like this do not help. The minute you start to brand it as a sexuality, peadophiles/child molesters will use this as an excuse for their behaviours/offences, and they could even use it to their defence in the legal system which I think is completely wrong. We live in a culture (esp in the UK) where we feel like we have to accept everything that doesn't fit in with society's norms, just so that a minority of people don't feel upset. We can't please everyone, so we can only do whats best/safe for the general population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    I'm baffled. How can you compare depression with paedophilia? With depression, most of the time the only people who directly get hurt from the condition are the individuals themselves. With paedophilia, this often creates child molesters who take out their urges on defenceless children. Yes, it is a sexual preference but it would be a HUGE mistake to call it a 'sexuality'. There are people out there who want to abolish the age of consent and ideas like this do not help. The minute you start to brand it as a sexuality, peadophiles/child molesters will use this as an excuse for their behaviours/offences, and they could even use it to their defence in the legal system which I think is completely wrong. We live in a culture (esp in the UK) where we feel like we have to accept everything that doesn't fit in with society's norms, just so that a minority of people don't feel upset. We can't please everyone, so we can only do whats best/safe for the general population.
    So I shouldn't classify something as what it is (a mental disorder affecting sexuality) because it may cause a legal defence that won't even work because the law very clearly states that you can't **** kids? Ok.....

ReputationRep:
    So I shouldn't classify something as what it is (a mental disorder affecting sexuality) because it may cause a legal defence that won't even work because the law very clearly states that you can't **** kids? Ok.....
    You never initially stated that it was 'a mental disorder affecting sexuality' you tried to suggest that it was a sexuality, which is where the problem lies. And in regards to the law, what's to say that it can't be altered in the future? My point is, that branding something as serious as paedophilia as a 'sexuality' almost ameliorates paedophilia, which is not something that most sane people would like. If we stick to classing it as a mental illness, maybe more child molesters would realise that their behaviour is non-excusable and that they need help.

ReputationRep:
    Some people make me laugh; they would be so quick to claim they're a nice person but mention pedophiles and people show how barbaric and backward they really are

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most convicted and imprisoned paedophiles will want to die, so by being in favour of the death penalty you are giving them what they want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I get the impression a very large percentage of the population supports the death penalty for people like this. However no Government would ever have the courage to introduce it, for fear of a backlash from Europeans and other "liberal" countries. The US has a lot of problems, but fair play to them; they know how to deal with the vilest of criminals. I actually admire those States in the US which execute the dregs of society.
    Most of the convicted dregs of society want to be executed, so by all means feed their desires...

ReputationRep:
    No, I disagree with the death penalty in every single case. It changes nothing and clearly does not act as a deterrent. It is far more beneficial to try and rehabilitate them instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airportsh8me)
    Imagine the lifetime of trauma and paranoia the assaulted child will go through. That's why I don't see why any convicted paedophiles deserve to live [IRREGARDLESS of gender because is it just me or lately there's been a lot of coverage of female teachers taking advantage of underage school boys?]
    Yeah, but isn't dying an easy escape? The assaulted child has to live with the trauma, the convicted molester is dead so their problems are over...

ReputationRep:
    Convicted or just paedos?

For some it's basically a mental illness they struggle with (non-offenders) they should be offered help and support without prejudice and without a requirement to disclaim (part of the reason for our mental health problems going up massively is its recorded so people won't seek help so they don't get labelled. Who will employ the guy who suffered/suffers from suicidal depression when the next person in line doesnt?).

Convicted, no. They're disgusting people but I don't believe in giving the government a mandate to kill when they believe it just and even if I did what about (a) mistakes where innocents will die, (b) the moral principle, they take a life (trauma etc) so you take theirs? Is that justice or just retribution? We have a JUSTice system not a retribution system, and (c) it is undeniably a mental abnormality so should we murder those whose brains are wired wrong? Isn't that basically eugenics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    No, I disagree with the death penalty in every single case. It changes nothing and clearly does not act as a deterrent. It is far more beneficial to try and rehabilitate them instead.
    I've realised it's pointless trying to appeal to the simple mind of people who support the death penalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    Do you think homosexuality is a mental illness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Should they be shot dead?
    I personally think that the only people who should receive the death penalty are those who have taken someones life. If homophobic's have to accept that people can't help being attracted to people of the same gender, I don't think it's a far stretch to accept that their are a minority that are attracted to children. They should be offered support if they ant it and only jailed if they were to act on their impulses.

-AHappyTeddybear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Paedophilia - that is, being attracted to underage people - is already legal. How could a system of law think to police peoples' minds?
    That's what I was thinking! Is the term 'Pedophile' correct? Pedofile means to like children. So does that mean to be a school teacher makes you a pedofile because one of the minimum requirements to be a school teacher is that you have to actually like children?

Why not use to original term 'Child Molester' or child sex offender? Surely that's more of an appropriate term. Paedofile is an American term brought to Britain in the 1990s.
    Secondly child sex offenders don't actually like children at all because they are happy to destroy children's lives for their own disgusting perverted self interests.

ReputationRep:
    If a paedophile acts on his/her urges and attacks a child, then I think they should be castrated - same goes to rapists. They clearly cannot be responsible with their genitalia. Frankly I believe that sex offenders of any type should suffer.

Unless it's statutory where two people are of similar age in a consenting relationship, such as you see these days in teenagers where one's 15 and the other's 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    That's what I was thinking! Is the term 'Pedophile' correct? Pedofile means to like children. So does that mean to be a school teacher makes you a pedofile because one of the minimum requirements to be a school teacher is that you have to actually like children?
    LMFAO.

"like" /=/ "being sexually attracted to"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)

Why not use to original term 'Child Molester' or child sex offender? Surely that's more of an appropriate term. Paedofile is an American term brought to Britain in the 1990s.
    Secondly child sex offenders don't actually like children at all because they are happy to destroy children's lives for their own disgusting perverted self interests.
    Well, there's "like" and then there's "like".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    Some people make me laugh; they would be so quick to claim they're a nice person but mention pedophiles and people show how barbaric and backward they really are

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed, compassion for child rapists is a sign of how civilised and forward looking an individual is.

Have you ever considered a career in Rotherham social services?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.