The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joe cooley
The ECHR?

Your faith in that institution.............

My faith in which institution?

Seriously?

Yes my faith in human rights is why I'll defend anyone against being executed regardless of what they've done. Executing someone infringes their human rights, not executing someone doesn't infringe anyone's human rights

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That'sGreat
And then if they are found to be innocent 2 years after? Just stick them in a small cell, big enough for a bed and a hole, and feed them the bare minimum, let them out for half an hour a day and don't give them any entertainment. Cost nothing if we make every cell much smaller and get rid of Xboxes in prison, and make them work for their time in jail. Cut off contact with family and if they are found to be innocent, make the people who falsely claimed they were paedos to pay for the therapy and to pay them for the time they were in jail, then stick them in for life in place of the paedos.

What a beautiful view for the future of British justice. I'm so glad that the Daily Mail's readership doesn't decide our law

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Yes my faith in human rights is why I'll defend anyone against being executed regardless of what they've done. Executing someone infringes their human rights, not executing someone doesn't infringe anyone's human rights

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does imprisoning someone infringe their human rights?

To some extent. It's obviously a reasonable infringement to protect a larger number of people's human rights. To protect the public from criminals some rights need to be infringed so we make the most minor infringement to achieve that goal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not if its lawful
What a beautiful view for the future of British justice. I'm so glad that the Daily Mail's readership doesn't decide our law

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you rather they drunk out of a golden chalice and cost the government and hence, the taxpayer, 40k a year per prisoner? I'm sure you'd hope we give them the latest game son the latest consoles, maybe put a McDonald's in the canteen and have Krispy Kreme Friday? Heck, why not let them go home on Saturdays and Sunday's? Or what if we only made them stay from 9 till 5, and let them go home to their families after it? And as for people who make false claims about paedophiles, why not give them a few hundred quid every claim? Keep the justice system on their toes!
To some extent. It's obviously a reasonable infringement to protect a larger number of people's human rights. To protect the public from criminals some rights need to be infringed so we make the most minor infringement to achieve that goal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, that you believe it acceptable to imprison paedophiles is a least a start.
These studies use data sets that are twenty years out of date, the ones which don't reference the other articles that do. What's also funny in the two full articles you posted links to both authors state that even if you support their findings it doesn't mean capital punishment is a reasonable part of the American criminal justice system.

So in a simple sentence; you support the government killing defenceless people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either way, studies have proven that the death penalty has a deterrent effect.

Sure, you can phrase it like that if you want to. I support the government killing atrocious despicable child molesting scum. If you want to keep them alive despite knowing the damage they've inflicted on another human being then you're the one who needs to question his moral conscience, not me.
Anyone who voted yes is a massive hypocrite: you assumedly think murder is abhorrent but it's ok when the state does it to someone who hasn't even taken anyone's life.

The victims of paedophilia are often scarred psychologically and it's a horrible crime but at least they continue to live their lives...
Original post by That'sGreat
Would you rather they drunk out of a golden chalice and cost the government and hence, the taxpayer, 40k a year per prisoner? I'm sure you'd hope we give them the latest game son the latest consoles, maybe put a McDonald's in the canteen and have Krispy Kreme Friday? Heck, why not let them go home on Saturdays and Sunday's? Or what if we only made them stay from 9 till 5, and let them go home to their families after it? And as for people who make false claims about paedophiles, why not give them a few hundred quid every claim? Keep the justice system on their toes!

Congratulation on making one of the dumbest posts ever.

On that basis you might as well just kill anyone who gets a custodial sentence.
Original post by 999tigger
Not if its lawful

So, in states where the death penalty is lawful, it is not an infringement of human rights, because its lawful.

Yes?
Original post by Connor27
Anyone who voted yes is a massive hypocrite: you assumedly think murder is abhorrent but it's ok when the state does it to someone who hasn't even taken anyone's life.

The victims of paedophilia are often scarred psychologically and it's a horrible crime but at least they continue to live their lives...

Yes, murder of somebody who is completely innocent is abhorrent. There is no moral equivalence between killing somebody innocent and killing a child molester.

"at least they continue to live their lives..." seriously? You're going to trivialise child sexual assault like that? Disgusting. Grow a moral backbone.

Using that "logic"...

you assumedly think imprisonment is abhorrent but it's ok when the state does it to someone who hasn't even taken anyone's life.

You oppose the state imprisoning criminals?
I don't think they should , I know it's wrong very wrong , but killing them is not the solution , for example if the a whole island changes to be all pedophiles , then should the whole population be killed on the island . After all God gives life and God takes life , we have no right to take away life .
Original post by Sycatonne23
Yes, murder of somebody who is completely innocent is abhorrent. There is no moral equivalence between killing somebody innocent and killing a child molester.

"at least they continue to live their lives..." seriously? You're going to trivialise child sexual assault like that? Disgusting. Grow a moral backbone.

The fact that you had to result to an ad homienem and a reduction ad absurdum just shows that you know the logic behind this is flawed.

Focus on the facts of the matter, not emotional sway.
Original post by 999tigger
Congratulation on making one of the dumbest posts ever.

On that basis you might as well just kill anyone who gets a custodial sentence.

How so?
Using that "logic"...

you assumedly think imprisonment is abhorrent but it's ok when the state does it to someone who hasn't even taken anyone's life.

You oppose the state imprisoning criminals?

Prison is protecting the public so yeah, execution is a needless, pointless and expensive show of State strength in the name of some vague concept of "deterrence" if you were arguing 'an eye for an eye' I could at least see the logic behind the argument (although I still disagree with executions.)

This, on the other hand, is just killing for killing's sake, it's absurd.
The fact that you had to result to an ad homienem and a reduction ad absurdum just shows that you know the logic behind this is flawed.

Focus on the facts of the matter, not emotional sway.

It isn't a damn ad hominem to say that there's no moral equivalence between the state taking the life of a child molester and somebody murdering an innocent person.
Original post by Sycatonne23
It isn't a damn ad hominem to say that there's no moral equivalence between the state taking the life of a child molester and somebody murdering an innocent person.

Calling my views "distgusting" and telling me to "grow a moral backbone" however, would qualify, I'm sure you agree.

Morality is subjective, stop trying to force your morals onto everyone else.
Calling my views "distgusting" and telling me to "grow a moral backbone" however, would qualify, I'm sure you agree.

Morality is subjective, stop trying to force your morals onto everyone else.

Yes, that would qualify and it is certainly in your case accurate. If you want to keep a child molester alive, then you unequivocally have a moral deficiency which needs further examination. In my subjective opinion of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending