Brainz's Linguistic Efforts (TSR's Got Talent 2017) Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Hey, let's see how this goes...

Languages involved:
    German and Mandarin

Why these?
    Well, German could prove invaluable in my job and the opportunities available to me , whilst Mandarin has always been a love of mine, but since Year 10 I've rarely had the chance to do this language. With any luck, I'll get on with it now!

Updates
    I'll post a picture update once a week (most likely at the weekend) and try to post a daily update in writing just so that i can see I am actually making progress on a consistent basis.

Background
    I've finished GCSE but decided not to go to college, so I'm sort of trying to continue with the studying I've (sort of) missed out on. I really want to focus on the things I had little time for at GCSE, hence the additional languages
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    This looks great! Looks like we're going to need a languages chat thread at some point- Sabertooth if you still want something to do could you make that? But yeah, good luck!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    This looks great! Looks like we're going to need a languages chat thread at some point- Sabertooth if you still want something to do could you make that? But yeah, good luck!
    Yeah I noticed there are a few language threads out there, so a chat thread would definitely be a good idea!

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Hey, let's see how this goes...

Languages involved:
    German and Mandarin

Why these?
    Well, German could prove invaluable in my job and the opportunities available to me , whilst Mandarin has always been a love of mine, but since Year 10 I've rarely had the chance to do this language. With any luck, I'll get on with it now!

Updates
    I'll post a picture update once a week (most likely at the weekend) and try to post a daily update in writing just so that i can see I am actually making progress on a consistent basis.

Background
    I've finished GCSE but decided not to go to college, so I'm sort of trying to continue with the studying I've (sort of) missed out on. I really want to focus on the things I had little time for at GCSE, hence the additional languages
    I've done Mandarin in the past, and have a GCSE and A-level in it, but I don't think I can remember much now

Are you starting from scratch with it? :holmes:
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I've done Mandarin in the past, and have a GCSE and A-level in it, but I don't think I can remember much now

Are you starting from scratch with it? :holmes:
    Wow well done! I wish my school had done the GCSE in it - I'd have bitten their hand off at the chance!

I attended a couple of after school clubs for Mandarin but they were extremely basic, with most of them recapping each term for new students so we barely learnt anything new but it was amazing and so much fun!

How did you find doing the GCSE and A-level? Do you reckon it is something that anyone could learn to sit the exams for (it would have to be a private entry)?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I have a Chinese friend who was trying to teach me the different tones. It was so difficult!

Are you going to be making any videos of you speaking German or Mandarin?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh I didn't know you had this - best of luck with it!! :rave:

(I should really get back into German myself actually...)
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I have a Chinese friend who was trying to teach me the different tones. It was so difficult!

Are you going to be making any videos of you speaking German or Mandarin?
    Yes they are fiddly things!

Oooh I hadn't thought of that (I've always shyed away from the camera in the past). If I can pluck up the courage then I'll try it I've wanted to do something where I practice speaking (even in English) so this may be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Ooooh I didn't know you had this - best of luck with it!! :rave:

(I should really get back into German myself actually...)
    Thanks Niamh! Just thought I'd give it a go

Yeah you should! Would be great if we could both get really good at it! (though i'm sure you're already amazing!)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Niamh! Just thought I'd give it a go

Yeah you should! Would be great if we could both get really good at it! (though i'm sure you're already amazing!)
    I'm glad you have, I'm sure you'll find it great fun and hey - you get 2 languages out of it so you can't go wrong really!

Ah yeah that would be awesome! (oooh I don't know, I haven't spoken or written it for...8 months :eek:)
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    I'm glad you have, I'm sure you'll find it great fun and hey - you get 2 languages out of it so you can't go wrong really!

Ah yeah that would be awesome! (oooh I don't know, I haven't spoken or written it for...8 months :eek:)
    Thanks! Yeah you can't grumble at 2 languages

It would! I bet you still remember some phrases after that length of time though
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are fiddly things!

Oooh I hadn't thought of that (I've always shyed away from the camera in the past). If I can pluck up the courage then I'll try it I've wanted to do something where I practice speaking (even in English) so this may be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion!!
    I also found out that if you get the tone wrong (and some of the word), then the word for marijuana is similar to a swear word :teehee:

You could try being off camera and just be speaking into it if you're camera shy?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I also found out that if you get the tone wrong (and some of the word), then the word for marijuana is similar to a swear word :teehee:

You could try being off camera and just be speaking into it if you're camera shy?
    :yikes::teehee: Wow okay - that's definitely one you don't want to mix up! I know what you mean though, because there's the word for 10 and yes which are the same but with different tones. It probably wouldn't get you in as much trouble as the other mix up but it would certainly be an interesting conversation :grin:

Yeah I'd try that! And then hopefully build my confidence and maybe try a few with my face on camera. It would be an interesting learning curve in a load of ways

ReputationRep:
    :yikes::teehee: Wow okay - that's definitely one you don't want to mix up! I know what you mean though, because there's the word for 10 and yes which are the same but with different tones. It probably wouldn't get you in as much trouble as the other mix up but it would certainly be an interesting conversation :grin:

Yeah I'd try that! And then hopefully build my confidence and maybe try a few with my face on camera. It would be an interesting learning curve in a load of ways
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Wow well done! I wish my school had done the GCSE in it - I'd have bitten their hand off at the chance!

I attended a couple of after school clubs for Mandarin but they were extremely basic, with most of them recapping each term for new students so we barely learnt anything new but it was amazing and so much fun!

How did you find doing the GCSE and A-level? Do you reckon it is something that anyone could learn to sit the exams for (it would have to be a private entry)?
    I think the reading/writing side is something that you could teach yourself for the exam, and maybe listening too, if you could get some sample tapes to use! With the speaking though, I think you'd want to practise with a tutor, or at least someone who was fluent, so you could make sure you're getting the tones right!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

A long time since the last update but I bring exciting news...

I'm going to a Language Show!!!

It's coming up next weekend on Friday and Saturday so if I am allowed, I'll take a for pics and upload them for you guys! From what I've seen and read, it looks like it is going to be jammed-packed full of different classes, talks, workshops and careers advice if you want to use languages in your career.

I haven't quite decided which talks to attend, but I will do this nearer the time, as the schedules have been changing and many activities overlap.

Next week I'll let you know how i get on and I'll upload pictures (if I can take any) on the Sunday

Until then,
    Auf wiedersehen!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

It's coming up next weekend on Friday and Saturday so if I am allowed, I'll take a for pics and upload them for you guys! From what I've seen and read, it looks like it is going to be jammed-packed full of different classes, talks, workshops and careers advice if you want to use languages in your career.

I haven't quite decided which talks to attend, but I will do this nearer the time, as the schedules have been changing and many activities overlap.

Next week I'll let you know how i get on and I'll upload pictures (if I can take any) on the Sunday

Until then,
    Auf wiedersehen!
    Sounds fantastic! Hope you enjoy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Sounds fantastic! Hope you enjoy.
    Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    Have a fabulous time!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

Until then,
    Auf wiedersehen!
    Hopes this proves to be very useful!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.