ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaaayxp)
    Hopes this proves to be very useful!
    Me too! Thank you!!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Hi Everyone!

A long time since the last update but I bring exciting news...

I'm going to a Language Show!!!

It's coming up next weekend on Friday and Saturday so if I am allowed, I'll take a for pics and upload them for you guys! From what I've seen and read, it looks like it is going to be jammed-packed full of different classes, talks, workshops and careers advice if you want to use languages in your career.

I haven't quite decided which talks to attend, but I will do this nearer the time, as the schedules have been changing and many activities overlap.

Next week I'll let you know how i get on and I'll upload pictures (if I can take any) on the Sunday

Until then,
    Auf wiedersehen!
    How was that language show in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Very cool . I remenber having by choice at my school when I was little having German, I never fogot to say my name is XD.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    How was that language show in the end?
    Oops sorry I didn't realise it had been this long!

It was pretty good, but seemed to be aimed more at those who were graduating and looking for careers in translating or interpreting etc. I found a few new resources that I might try out too.

I sat in on a seminar on teaching Mandarin with respect to also teaching sustainable values. I didn't realise kids could do certain awards, similar to DofE, that incorporated languages. However, as it was held in Glasgow, the scheme was aimed at Scottish children (plus, they need to be of primary age) so it is a bit of a shame, but hopefully it will be rolled out everywhere.

Overall, it was good but I think if I go again, I will pay for some of the lesson courses that were going on (aside from the beginner lessons).

(Just tagging Shaaayxp incase you'd like to know how it went )
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE

Hi everyone!

So I realise it has been a while....a long while! I've had a few issues with family members to deal with, so it's sort of put everything on hold. Where I have had time, I've done bits of the language learning and, as the competition ends really soon, I need to get updating this. It will sort of seem like a mad scramble but hopefully it should be worth it!

I'll be posting throughout today and showing you some of the resources I've been using, as well as things I have been making to help with the learning process!

Let me know if there is anything specific you would like me to post about and I'll see what I can do!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    RESOURCE No. 1

Tiny Cards!

So this is an app I used on my iPad and it's quick and easy to revise with. It's great because on the language courses, there is the ability to hear the pronunciation and see how they sound as well as the characters.

The language courses are designed by companies like Duolingo but different providers make the Mandarin ones. There are also other flashcards for topics like anatomy and geography.

I really like the layout of the app and you can see your progress on each set of cards (which diminishes over time if you do not continue your progress).

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone - and I might even look at the Swedish and Portuguese flashcards they have on here!
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    RESOURCE No. 2

Handmade Flashcards!

So these are probably my favourite and make learning fun - plus, they are a physical representation of the effort you have put in!

I've broken these cards down into little packs depending on topic, so that I can carry them around easily and make a rota so that all topics are covered. For example, if I were to keep them in one big pile, I would only get through a few each time, so those at the top of the pile would be repeated most.
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    RESOURCE No. 3

Audio Files!

At GCSE, I downloaded audio files for a number of my subjects, and I would use them on long journeys or whilst doing little tasks like cleaning my room (although this wasn't very often ).

So, I did the same now, whilst learning these languages, and among those sites were BBC Bitesize and Edexcel's revision resources which can be found here: http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleg...--samples.aspx

Even if I can't understand the whole passage, though I wish I could, I can pick up ore vocab through linking it with the context. It proves very useful when combined with techniques to improve reading and writing!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    RESOURCE No. 4

Memrise!

I've only started using this recently, but what I have used it for, I've been impressed!

It's very similar to Tiny Cards but gives you important words and phrases that you can use to build sentences and longer passages. When I did lessons at school in Mandarin, we learnt little words/phrases like "hello" and "I would like..." but we never came across phrases like "I don't understand" which I think could be useful, particularly during conversations.

Each stage shows your progress so I look forward to completing as many elements as possible.
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    RESOURCE No 5

Online flashcards!

I've continued with these from GCSE too, and they've proved to be a valuable asset during this stage of learning languages.

I've found them to have advantages over physical cards, in that they are lighter to carry around, as it's usually on your phone which you carry anyway. Also, for learning Mandarin, once you have found the character you can copy and paste it, whereas on physical cards, you often have to draw it out and if you do it incorrectly (or the printer smudges) then you end up reinforcing the incorrect symbol into your memory.

I normally use a website called Brainscape to make my flashcards as they offer a spaced repetition style format where you rate the cards on how well you know them and then it shows them more or less often depending on how you felt.

To find this resource you can follow the link www.brainscape.com
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    RESOURCE No 6

Watching DVDs!

Wait - DVDs? Yes!

And no, it's not an attempt to avoid anything.

Most DVDs have the ability to select a different language and I think this is particularly useful for adjusting to the speed of a language, as well as picking up tricky word order.

So far, I've seen Kung Fu Panda and the Incredibles.

It helps to have seen the film before so you can follow along without having to struggle working out the context as much, but i'm sure you could always challenge yourself and see what you can pick up with an entirely new film.

What's better than an excuse to watch DVDs all day?!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    OVERALL PROGRESS REVIEW

So in the duration of this great competition, I've gone from barely remember anything I'd learnt at GCSE to gradually rebuilding my knowledge and vocab of the two languages, German and Mandarin.

At some points, I've even found myself constructing sentences in my head in those languages when I've been asked a question such as when someone asks me what I'd like to eat.

It's been amazing finding new ways to learn languages and attending the language show inspired me to continue pursuing them, as well as show me the possibilities they can lead to.

I've also come to realise that learning a language, especially at this stage, isn't about using it or revising it continuously for hours and hours each day, and even 10-20 minutes here and there can make a difference, as it may mean that you learn a new word which may come in handy, or you learn the rule for a certain word order.

I love the idea of being able to communicate and understand as many people as possible (and sometimes they may not even realise it).

I'll definitely carry on with languages as long as I possibly can and hopefully broaden my range in the process

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.