Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Two years ago I failed my alevels after having a hard year but I had an unconditional offer at the University of Roehampton London, which I accepted and I'm now consistently a 2:1 student as I'm doing a course I love. I'm currently studying abroad for a term in America and as when I return to the UK it'll be my third and final year, I'm beginning to prepare. There are summer internships that look perfect for me but I'm worried the fact I haven't had a job before and have bad alevels that it's not even worth applying.

I'm of course looking to make my CV look as good as possible for when I leave University and get a job. However, do you think it's worth taking a step back from trying to get an internship this summer and focus on getting a job and maybe retaking alevels online to try make my CV look as good as possible for when I do eventually apply for jobs and internships in my field? Or should I apply and hope the fact I'm a high achieving student now will outway the negatives?

Thank you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade1895)
    Two years ago I failed my alevels after having a hard year but I had an unconditional offer at the University of Roehampton London, which I accepted and I'm now consistently a 2:1 student as I'm doing a course I love. I'm currently studying abroad for a term in America and as when I return to the UK it'll be my third and final year, I'm beginning to prepare. There are summer internships that look perfect for me but I'm worried the fact I haven't had a job before and have bad alevels that it's not even worth applying.

I'm of course looking to make my CV look as good as possible for when I leave University and get a job. However, do you think it's worth taking a step back from trying to get an internship this summer and focus on getting a job and maybe retaking alevels online to try make my CV look as good as possible for when I do eventually apply for jobs and internships in my field? Or should I apply and hope the fact I'm a high achieving student now will outway the negatives?

Thank you
    I seriously doubt employers are going to care all that much about your A level grades, unless you're applying for one of those super competitive industries like law, consultancy, banking, etc. where sometimes they do have minimum A level requirements. But really, they are going to be much more interested in how you have upped your game since and are now getting a good 2:1, if they even care about grades at all (tbh, being a good student/ doing well in exams etc. doesn't really make you stand out though). Your year abroad is also really great - it demonstrates that you are more culturally aware, a go-getter who looks at opportunities to improve yourself, independent, confident, etc.

Have you done any volunteering, been involved in student societies or on any committees? These are generally of much more interest to employers than your grades, since they are essentially a form of work experience. It's not too late to start - most universities will have community volunteering programs, e.g. helping out in local schools, working in a local homeless shelter, doing an environmental consultancy project, etc. and you can often sign up at any time just to volunteer for a few hours a week. Even if it's not at all relevant to your chosen career area, it demonstrates that you care about your community (i.e. are generally a nice person), can work in a team, show commitment and responsibility, etc.

Student societies are also a great option - but tbh just going along as a regular member doesn't mean a lot. Instead, get involved on the committee with organising events, promoting the society, fundraising, managing the finances, etc. - there is a huge opportunity to bring your own ideas to life (e.g. I launched a new essay competition for my college's Science Society) as well as to take on lower commitment roles (communications officer/ publicity officer/ stash rep etc. tend to be less stressful) or develop new skills (e.g. learning to manage a website or social media marketing).

You can also get involved in university or amateur sports teams, drama, music, journalism, etc. - all of which tend to be relatively flexible around your own time and allow you to demonstrate various transferable skills/ sound like a more interesting person

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your post, it's made me feel more confident about my situation which is great as although I'm abroad and perhaps shouldn't even be thinking about this, it was something playing on my mind, so thank you!
    I haven't done any volunteering yet but it was something I have been looking into as I thought it may help and societies also sound like a good idea and something I hadn't considered properly.

Thank you so much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.