Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you were given £1million to spend on an improvement to healthcare in your local area in your chosen field of nursing or midwifery; what would you spend it on and why have you identified this as important?

^^

Was given this question to focus on and come up with an answer at my interview. I have an answer, however I am unsure whether I have read the question properly. So just looking to see how other people would answer it.. Thank you ))

ReputationRep:
    I would spend it on improving mental health provision - increasing the number of beds on mental health wards, increasing access to therapy/counselling on NHS, cut down the waiting lists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    I would spend it on improving mental health provision - increasing the number of beds on mental health wards, increasing access to therapy/counselling on NHS, cut down the waiting lists.
    Thank you for your help! Have to relate the question to nursing/midwifery, so unsure if those points will be beneficial.
    I originally thought of mental health until I read that I had to relate it to my chosen degree😁 That's when it got complicated for me lol!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Courtselle)
    Thank you for your help! Have to relate the question to nursing/midwifery, so unsure if those points will be beneficial.
    I originally thought of mental health until I read that I had to relate it to my chosen degree😁 That's when it got complicated for me lol!
    Bear in mind though, £1million in the grand scheme of things, is a tiny amount. Even on a local level it wouldn't go all that far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Bear in mind though, £1million in the grand scheme of things, is a tiny amount. Even on a local level it wouldn't go all that far.
    Yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking, so it's really hard to be realistic! Unsure whether they're looking for me to be realistic considering the small amount, or they're just throwing any figure at me and want to know what I'd do if I had the money to do so.. Lol confusing😁

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking, so it's really hard to be realistic! Unsure whether they're looking for me to be realistic considering the small amount, or they're just throwing any figure at me and want to know what I'd do if I had the money to do so.. Lol confusing😁
    I would use some money to improve services for the elderly. Too many times we hear of staff being unable to feed or change elderly people due to lack of time as they have to rush off somewhere else to an emergency etc so I would put a lot more staff on these wards to improve their time in hospital.

I would also use some money to improve the neonatal intensive care unit, maybe more incubators as babies often have to be moved from one hospital to another because they do not have such a proper neonatal intensive care unit?

Hope this helps, that is a tricky question though!

I also have an interview for Nursing at Dundee. Good luck with yours
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    I would use some money to improve services for the elderly. Too many times we hear of staff being unable to feed or change elderly people due to lack of time so I would put a lot more staff on these wards to improve their time in hospital.

I would also use some money to improve the neonatal intensive care unit, maybe more incubators as babies often have to be moved from one hospital to another because they do not have such a proper neonatal intensive care unit?

Hope this helps, that is a tricky question though!
    Slightly more controversial but there is a lot of stress and burn out in the NHS. How about money for counselling services/relaxation therapies for staff... Happy staff are more productive, less likely to be off sick, more likely to do extra shifts to help out. Retainment is a big problem, make it more attractive for staff to stay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Slightly more controversial but there is a lot of stress and burn out in the NHS. How about money for counselling services/relaxation therapies for staff... Happy staff are more productive, less likely to be off sick, more likely to do extra shifts to help out. Retainment is a big problem, make it more attractive for staff to stay
    I agree, that's a good one as well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.