Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to take maths for A Level so in GCSE need a grade 7. In my recent mock I got a grade 5, I have a tutor and am starting my proper revision this week but does anyone have tips on how to improve?

I do revision cards currently, but could I have some advice as exams are so close now! 13 weeks and counting!

ReputationRep:
    Past paper questions as many as you can and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astralnerd)
    I need to take maths for A Level so in GCSE need a grade 7. In my recent mock I got a grade 5, I have a tutor and am starting my proper revision this week but does anyone have tips on how to improve?

I do revision cards currently, but could I have some advice as exams are so close now! 13 weeks and counting!
    Personally I'd forget revision cards - just spend time practising questions.

Did you get you mock paper back? Which topics do you need to work on?

Go to all you revision help sessions at school - don't rely on your tutor because they might not have access to all the new resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Personally I'd forget revision cards - just spend time practising questions.

Did you get you mock paper back? Which topics do you need to work on?

Go to all you revision help sessions at school - don't rely on your tutor because they might not have access to all the new resources.
    Okay, thank you so much! No - I haven't got my paper back but I will do after half term so I'll make sure to practice questions on the ones I did badly in

ReputationRep:

revision cards aren't much help for maths. Past papers are the only thing that works, coming from an A2 Maths student

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you so much! No - I haven't got my paper back but I will do after half term so I'll make sure to practice questions on the ones I did badly in
    The exam boards are sending out lots of resources so ask your tutor if they have access to these - they won't if they aren't currently teaching.

When you get your paper back first tackle the topics where you got some marks but not all [your AMBER topics] - leave topics where you didn;t have a clue [RED topics] to later.

It's probably worth downloading the specifcation from the exam board website to go through the list of topics marking them RED, AMBER, GREEN as well.

Look at ths website too:

http://mrbartonmaths.com/students/gcse/

ReputationRep:
    Not a specific answer, but if you have any particular topics that you want help with, feel free to send me a message and I can find you some resources and help you through it. I'm sure your tutor and teacher can do this too, but just putting it out there!

Other than that, like the others said, practice questions. Past papers, old gcses, specimen papers, online resources. The more you do these questions, the more they will become like second nature to you. Don't be worried if you need to write out every step clearly (in fact, do this, as it will help scrape those extra marks in the real exam!) or ask for help. If you don't understand something, ask someone to explain it and then do a bunch of questions on it.

ReputationRep:
    Make a spreadsheet with all the topics, highlight ones you are confident on and practise ones you are not.
    https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse/ - Do some of these every day for practise and seeing where you need to revise more (You dont have to do all 5 questions but min 1 or 2) and do past papers. Best of luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.