Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[University] Single person work, judged the same as group work(2-5people). Watch

• View Poll Results: Should I press the issue to make changes?
    Yes - some change is needed in marking scheme.
    0%
    No - It's is fine, marking five people as one is normal.
    0%
    Hard to decide - No opinion
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I wanted to start this debate, and have other people opinion about the Title of this debate.

A quick overview of the issue:
    There is an assessment at a university that allows a group size of 1 to 5 people. (Where you need to design a system and implement it)

Part of the question I asked the module tutor:
    "I wonder if there are any guidelines for expected work to be delivered comparing one person to a group, or does one person still needs to produce the same amount and quality of work for the grade of 1st as the group of 2-5 people would?"

The reply I got:
    "Yes, it is the same work either individual or in teams. In the past, it has always been an individual, so it is achievable."

I wonder how other people see this, personally, for me, this is an irrational approach to the grading at university. Especially the part "so it is achievable"

It’s like saying that one person has the same chance of success as a group of 2-5 people and there shouldn’t be a difference in marking both works. Usually “Two heads are better than one”.
    Another example to prove my point; This exam was achievable by individual last year, so 5 people working on it together is totally fair... I think I don't need to continue this as it's is self-explanatory.

Also, another thing that bothers me is that on the end it will be an individual mark, and on CV for an employer, it will look like this:
    Module X – 1st
    instead of Module X – 1st achieved as a group of 2-5 people

You may think that it’s alright as you need to document who did what work etc. however, the groups are not chosen at random, people have free will to pick their team members and usually it will be group of friends, so the work will be distributed “evenly” so everyone is marked equally.

Let me know what you think in the comments, I’m really interested in how others see this, if there is something not clear or you would like to know more information, let me know and I will either edit this post or reply directly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.