Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Insert generic "flatmates nicking food" thread.

Basically, I've had ~£5 worth of food stolen over the past week. Not small bits like butter / milk / slices of bread like everyone else has, but a whole unopened packet of croissants and a whole unopened tub of Ben and Jerry's.

I'm mostly so p*ssed off though because it's not food I'd normally buy - I got it specially because my younger brother is here to stay.

Everyone of the three (three! I'm only in a flat of 4 - it's not like a flat of 12 where this stuff normally happens!!!) people I'm in a flat with denies a) taking it or b) having literally anyone round for "more than one minute" who could have taken stuff.

Ideas? Has anyone had any success reporting this to their uni? Cheers x

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you have a snake in your midst... Perhaps take a little time acquainting yourself with the common character traits of the kind of person who would steal, and then look for signs of that sort of personality in your flatmates? It might be a stretch, but I imagine you'd have to be somewhere on the spectrum of psychopathy/narcissism to steal stuff that's not yours... So learn the common traits of those 'disorders' and then examine your flatmates and try to narrow down who it is?

ReputationRep:
    I would do this. Use your uni loan to buy a £50-£150 camera. Hide it in the corner of your room behind a plant/books or whatever, facing the place where you put your food. Buy some food, something cheap but nice, like oreos/doritos/jaffacakes. Leave your room with the camera recording. If the food is taken when you get back, play back the camera and catch the person. I know it's going a bit far, but it's worth knowing who is playing you behind your back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormCommando)
    Sounds like you have a snake in your midst... Perhaps take a little time acquainting yourself with the common character traits of the kind of person who would steal, and then look for signs of that sort of personality in your flatmates? It might be a stretch, but I imagine you'd have to be somewhere on the spectrum of psychopathy/narcissism to steal stuff that's not yours... So learn the common traits of those 'disorders' and then examine your flatmates and try to narrow down who it is?
    From ranting at everyone in the flat on a group chat, I'm almost certain I know who it was, but they're never going to own up to it lol. I guess just watch out when they're around, and hope it doesn't happen again now I've said something about it? But I'm not that hopeful - you don't care that much about being caught out if you take unopened lots of food.

ReputationRep:
    steal some of her food lol jk

ReputationRep:
    There's not much you can do and your university won't take any action. Unfortunately this sort of nonsense is far too common... I once woke up to find out some flatmates had had a food fight with about £10 worth of my food... it was all just littered around the room. I know people have suggested cheap spy cams before but I think unless it's a serious ongoing problem - i.e. £5-10 every week - then it's not really worth it. It'll be clear who's doing it eventually because they'll end up stealing from everyone and there'll only be one person whose food never goes missing.

ReputationRep:
    make your very own special "Ben & Jerry" flavor... with organic extras, nomsayin' ?

leave it unattended in the fridge and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    make your very own special "Ben & Jerry" flavor... with organic extras, nomsayin' ?

There might possibly be a pack of Oreos with an alternatively flavoured filling which will possibly cause stomach problems at the front of my cupboard now... Hoping that will keep everything else safe - they're unlikely to rifle through my stuff if there's something right at the front of the cupboard, and if they do, I guess the frequency of the trips to the loo might be held as proof...

And I guess no more treat type stuff that needs to be kept in the fridge / freezer until next academic year

ReputationRep:
    One the main reasons why I'm glad I don't live in student accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)

This is a great idea. There is a type of dark chocolate that's actually a strong laxative. I'm sure it's called Dulcolax. Boots would sell it. It tastes nice, just like dark [plain] chocolate. Grate nearly all of it into your ice cream, and wait !!

(Original post by Ibbyyyyy)
      I would do this. Use your uni loan to buy a £50-£150 camera. Hide it in the corner of your room behind a plant/books or whatever, facing the place where you put your food. Buy some food, something cheap but nice, like oreos/doritos/jaffacakes. Leave your room with the camera recording. If the food is taken when you get back, play back the camera and catch the person. I know it's going a bit far, but it's worth knowing who is playing you behind your back.
      What if the camera gets stolen too :eek:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by markova21)
      This is a great idea. There is a type of dark chocolate that's actually a strong laxative. I'm sure it's called Dulcolax. Boots would sell it. It tastes nice, just like dark [plain] chocolate. Grate nearly all of it into your ice cream, and wait !!
      Great idea - may or may not have already implemented a similar plan involving oreo fillings If they steal my stuff and get the sh*ts, that's on them.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.