Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing the m3 module of edexcel maths and just wanted to know if there would be any overlap with aqa a level physics. Also would it be better to do a different application. Im thinking of doing M1,M2,S1,D1,D2 and either M3 or S2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    I'm thinking of doing the m3 module of edexcel maths and just wanted to know if there would be any overlap with aqa a level physics. Also would it be better to do a different application. Im thinking of doing M1,M2,S1,D1,D2 and either M3 or S2
    There is a lot of overlap with AQA A Level Physics.

It makes concepts such as circular motion and simple harmonic motion a lot easier to understand, at least in my opinion. It sets a good foundation.

It makes the calculations in physics a lot easier also, particularly the types you find in the multiple choice.

It doesn't help much with fields, as you would expect, or any of the nuclear/thermal physics, but I would say it is quite useful in the way it completes the further mechanics in AQA's A Level A2 Physics spec.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher was sceptical of me doing the m3 unit due to the unpredictability of the questions. However i do enjoy mechanics more than any other application and so will probably go for the m3 module. In terms of difficulty and topics what is m4 like?

ReputationRep:
    My teacher was sceptical of me doing the m3 unit due to the unpredictability of the questions. However i do enjoy mechanics more than any other application and so will probably go for the m3 module. In terms of difficulty and topics what is m4 like?
    The questions may have different contexts, but the underlying theory/technique needed to answer them is usually the same. It all comes with lots of practice in mechanics in particular.

M4 is a meaty module and from the students I've worked with, they've found it quite tough at first. It's a great module to study in the skills you develop, but it can be a tricky one!

ReputationRep:
    The only problem with m4 for me is that i dont think any of my teachers have ever taught it to a student before some im a little apprehensive about doing it. Also im thinking of studying either chemical or aeronautical engineering at university, do u think m4 would help me at uni or would a broader look into all the applications serve me better

ReputationRep:
    The only problem with m4 for me is that i dont think any of my teachers have ever taught it to a student before some im a little apprehensive about doing it. Also im thinking of studying either chemical or aeronautical engineering at university, do u think m4 would help me at uni or would a broader look into all the applications serve me better
    That always sucks. But if you're ever stuck, just post on TSR and I'm sure someone will reply with a nifty explanation.

You won't be disadvantaged much if you don't do it, I don't think so. I study Maths and Physics and my mechanics and special relativity lecturer last term (big up Tom Marsh) started really basic and covered M1-5 in about 15 lectures, in much more detail than the A level syllabus and quite beyond too. And he covered it very well.

However, saying that, it will certainly help to know it beforehand.

Some of my flatmates are engineers and they study mechanics from a slightly different perspective. The topics are generally the same, but the focus is shifted. As long as you have the requirements for your universities, you will be fine, because the lecturers make good effort to bring everyone to the same level.

So I'd just suggest that you go wherever your interests take you. If you want to go and explore some statistics or decision, do so, but if you just want to develop your mechanics skills, stick with M4.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.