Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does everyone find Chemistry (A-Level) so hard? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Because the concepts can be difficult to understand (I'm looking at you NMR :unimpressed:), because there's a lot of organic chemistry to cover etc
    Yeahh..with organic you need SOO much practise!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's very different to GCSE Chemistry and that comes as a shock to many.

There's lots and lots of stuff, particularly on the organic side, that you need to remember. And get right.

ReputationRep:
    Its not hard if you learn it.

ReputationRep:
    Too much stuff to remember.. and those wretched mark schemes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    (high five)

I don't do Physics - i agree its hard and quite boring. History is awesome! Yeah our department is so poor..I think it's the worst department in the school out of all the popular subjects and good subjects people take.
    History was HARD!!! It was harder than fkin chemistry, hence why I dropped it (that and I need chem for medicine, unfortunately...) wow, that's really bad especially as physics is so hard.

What are yiu nterested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k_popper)
    Too much stuff to remember.. and those wretched mark schemes
    YESS! Screw the mark schemes..

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..I do take A Level Chem (OCR Spec A) and am currently doing AS. I got an A at GCSE Chem with AQA and was close to the A*. Chem AS is alright...it's not extremely extremely hard, some things may be challenging/tricky at first but eventually you get it..it's not easy but everyone complains its super hard..the hardest A-Level.
    lol I got AA*A in triple science and ended up with a C in chem A level in OCR spec B
    It's toooooo hard, esp if you're doing other highly demanding subjects alongside it

brace yourself, winter is coming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 111davey1)
    Its not hard if you learn it.
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    It's very different to GCSE Chemistry and that comes as a shock to many.

There's lots and lots of stuff, particularly on the organic side, that you need to remember. And get right.
    Agreed..but some concepts are similar/same to GCSE ...I think that depends on the exam board. It's more about silly mistakes as well I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Lol
    Im not laughing

ReputationRep:
    The exam questions try to trip you up and trick you. It's like they want us all to fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    History was HARD!!! It was harder than fkin chemistry, hence why I dropped it (that and I need chem for medicine, unfortunately...) wow, that's really bad especially as physics is so hard.

What are yiu nterested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm..Yeah I've heard its kinda hard at A-Level but overall the subject is interesting and good. I loved it at GCSE (AQA History B).

Physics is just awful.

Career-wise...targetting Dentistry. you?

My parents want me to go into that so I am...personally i like drama but its not a foolproof career..wasn't sure what I'd totally do if I didn't pursue dentistry..I liked other things like law, forensic science, teaching etc..

ReputationRep:
    Im not laughing
    Neither am I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    lol I got AA*A in triple science and ended up with a C in chem A level in OCR spec B
    It's toooooo hard, esp if you're doing other highly demanding subjects alongside it

brace yourself, winter is coming
    Hmm..I got AAA at triple science GCSE. Doing AS at the moment. Yeah it gets tough when you do the "hard" subjects.

Lool..

ReputationRep:
    Tip:Take subjects with 'studies' on the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k_popper)
    The exam questions try to trip you up and trick you. It's like they want us all to fail.
    Yupp!

ReputationRep:
    Tip:Take subjects with 'studies' on the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Lol I do the same exam board as you except I'm in A2, I got an A* in Chem at GCSE with minimal effort - and I'm one of those people that complains it's super hard, Physics is harder tho - although A2 gets better dw. And not everyone gets it, I never really got most of it tbh hence why it's hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you do physics? I find chem harder.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm..Yeah I've heard its kinda hard at A-Level but overall the subject is interesting and good. I loved it at GCSE (AQA History B).

Physics is just awful.

Career-wise...targetting Dentistry. you?

My parents want me to go into that so I am...personally i like drama but its not a foolproof career..wasn't sure what I'd totally do if I didn't pursue dentistry..I liked other things like law, forensic science, teaching etc..
    Ahhh yeah fair enough, the content is very interesting and I had an amazing teacher last year but I had so much work to do for it, it was unbelievable.

Medicine - I got interviews and now just waiting for offers.

Hmmmm, I'm sure you've heard this a million times before but there's no point in applying for a career you don't like - especially something like dentistry which is competitive and difficult to get in and imo it's boring. Just go for whatever career path you want, if you're not sure, look at shadowing/summer schools/ volunteering opportunities.

My parents wanted me to do dentistry too but I didn't want to and my parents weren't too happy when I decided to go for medicine but they're your parents, they should ideally support you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If anyone knows, what is it about AQA chem that makes it so awful? I'm currently studying it at AS and hearing everyone say it is horrible has got me curious!

(and I also want to know what I'm in for )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.