Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does everyone find Chemistry (A-Level) so hard? Watch

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
      I was the only guy that did chemistry
      You can't be serious. :eek: Was there any particular reason for that or was it just coincidence?

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
      Because the concepts can be difficult to understand (I'm looking at you NMR :unimpressed:)
      Hear hear. NMR was my Waterloo.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hydeman)
      You can't be serious. :eek: Was there any particular reason for that or was it just coincidence?
      The sixth form I went to was actually a girls' school where years 12 and 13 admitted boys, but my generation was only the second year that they had started admitting the opposite sex so the numbers were still quite low. In my year there were only 7 guys and over 200 girls () and I was the only one to take chemistry past AS. I was also the first person to apply for chemistry at uni from that school in like over 15 years or something, so both my chemistry teachers were super excited and constantly wanted to hear my UCAS updates :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sulaimanali)
      Thoughts?
      I do AS chem and I don't think it's that hard! I think you DO have to put a lot of effort into it though, learn the content properly and apply it correctly through exam technique. Which exam board do you do for Chem?x I do OCR A!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sunshine774)
      I do AS chem and I don't think it's that hard! I think you DO have to put a lot of effort into it though, learn the content properly and apply it correctly through exam technique. Which exam board do you do for Chem?x I do OCR A!
      I agree.

Same exam board and same level

ReputationRep:
      I agree.

Same exam board and same level
      And I also think it's good that it's hard because if forces you to work properly (if that makes sense lol)!

ReputationRep:
      And I also think it's good that it's hard because if forces you to work properly (if that makes sense lol)!
      Yeahh lool...igu...i know it's not exactly in our favour but then it challenges you and broadens your way of thinking ...

ReputationRep:
      Yeahh lool...igu...i know it's not exactly in our favour but then it challenges you and broadens your way of thinking ...
      Exactly and (with me anyway) it forces me to revise thoroughly (I am very demotivated to revise!) which then leads to me getting good grades and then I feel really happy lol!x

Because if you don't revise for chem you are 100% screwed!

ReputationRep:
      Exactly and (with me anyway) it forces me to revise thoroughly (I am very demotivated to revise!) which then leads to me getting good grades and then I feel really happy lol!x

Because if you don't revise for chem you are 100% screwed!
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      Don't like Physics A-Level. Our school department for Physics is like shattered glass.
      Ditto!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LeCroissant)
      Ditto!
      Hmm...it's a true fact that in the U.K. there's a lack of Physics teachers.

ReputationRep:
      chemistry is nothing compared to bio lmao

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lola1244)
      chemistry is nothing compared to bio lmao
      Bio is easy to understand when compared with physics and chem . Only the workload makes it difficult.

ReputationRep:
      Chem is harder for me out of chem and bio!! Bio is mainly just learning the concepts til you know them backwards and chem is more application and mathsy and eugh I'm on the new OCR A spec, in year 13 so should be fun being the first year to sit these exams having had no actual past papers to practice from hahahahahahahaah :/ anyways, just gotta do what I can do and revise (and cry), don't mind me, just gotta go and punch proton NMR in the face brb

ReputationRep:
      Hmm...it's a true fact that in the U.K. there's a lack of Physics teachers.
      just a lack of science teachers in general I think!! probs cos people who do well in science don't really look towards teaching- they go towards career paths like engineering and more proactive stuff as they have the grades to get into it! And because science is probably one of the harder ones to actually teach!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AAls)
      Bio is easy to understand when compared with physics and chem . Only the workload makes it difficult.
      yeah exactly, with phys and chem if you understand the concept its fine, with biology its the quantity and the bloody mark schemes!!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lola1244)
      yeah exactly, with phys and chem if you understand the concept its fine, with biology its the quantity and the bloody mark schemes!!!
      do not even get me started on the biology mark schemes oh my god!!! I probs wouldn't even get any marks if it wasn't for the occassional 'allow' bits on the side!! they're so damn specific!!!!!

ReputationRep:
      I found chemistry A-level challenging, now I am doing a Chemistry degree...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bloom77)
      I found chemistry A-level challenging, now I am doing a Chemistry degree...
      How are you finding that?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 111davey1)
      How are you finding that?
      Honestly, I love it.
      I used to love chemistry at a-level, I was always good at the mathsy bits, but when it came to understanding actual chemistry, that's where I struggled.

It is hard, but not as hard as I thought (I'm in first year)
      It's very varied and somewhat different to chemistry a-level as there's a lot more physical and inorganic chemistry involved rather than organic which is what a-level does more of.

It's hard if you dont understand the first lecture, not unless you want the professor to start it all over again though. It's hard if you're not good at memorising as well. You pretty much have to pay attention from the very beginning so that you're up to the discussion.

If you didn't do maths a-level, you will struggle with a degree in chemistry

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nomophobia)
      Lol I do the same exam board as you except I'm in A2, I got an A* in Chem at GCSE with minimal effort - and I'm one of those people that complains it's super hard, Physics is harder tho - although A2 gets better dw. And not everyone gets it, I never really got most of it tbh hence why it's hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Hi sorry to bother you or anyone but for anyone doing AQA A-level chemistry what marks have you been getting in mocks doing new spec questions? it's out of 100

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.