The Student Room Group

Can I just rock up to universities and ask to be shown round? If no, how can I ask?

So my 16 year old cousin is flying in from Boston, Massachusetts to Manchester next sunday to have a look at uni's during half term (19-25th Feb).

He is looking at Maths, Economics and Buiness degree's.

How should one go about taking him to see these universities and getting some information about what US grades and courses he will need to be taking over the next eighteen months to two years before he applies?

Thanks
Original post by katycaresse
So my 16 year old cousin is flying in from Boston, Massachusetts to Manchester next sunday to have a look at uni's during half term (19-25th Feb).

How should one go about taking him to see these universities and getting some information about what US grades and courses he will need to be taking over the next eighteen months to two years before he applies?

Thanks

I don't know how true this is but my teacher said that if you go to the uni and show them your ID badge to prove that you're a student then they will let you have a look around. I haven't actually tried it, but that's what we've been told.

Thanks

I'm from Oxford and the colleges here are extremely friendly to prospectus students. Go into the porter's lounge, say you're a prospectus student and they'll give you a paper self guided tour leaflet to look around :smile: With regards to actual questions, there's no guarantee that somebody will be free to show you around. Not sure about other universities though! Good luck :smile:

Thanks

i did this when i came down to england for a couple days. i just looked around 2 unis. i phoned ahead of time to see what the situation was, if i would be allowed to have a look around or if there was anyone there to speak to/ask questions to. both unis were really helpful in contact, they didn't have anyone available to chat to me as it was term time which was understandable, but they let me roam around.

in regards to what grades/courses to take you could probably phone up the admissions tutor for the unis/department to see what they say, i also did this before applying and found them to be useful
oh perfect, that sounds great!

I guess I can always just ask on here for him if I want to ask any students what they think!

Thanks

Hi,

I’m a student at the University of Derby and here we have an outreach team that would be able to help. If you contact the university they can set up a mentor (like myself) to give you a tour of the university campus and answer any questions you might have about university. You will need to let the university know what you intend to do as soon as you can so this can be organised but Derby are always more than happy to show prospective students round and there will be lecturers around to talk to about individual courses. Other universities probably offer similar services so just get him to contact universities he’s interested in and they’ll be able to help.

Hope this helps,

Molly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending