Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Like the ones below the top 30? Like why would you want to go to a **** uni like Westminster or Manchester met ? Surely it's better fit these people de apprenticeships if they can't even get into a decent uni

ReputationRep:
    I went to a *****t uni (apparently), greenwich. Now I'm doing a paid PhD there.

I don't care tbh, I study what I enjoy, I get paid for it and I make even more money in the markets.

Even people from **** unis' can return 14% in 3 months in the markets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bankergotcash)
    Like the ones below the top 30? Like why would you want to go to a **** uni like Westminster or Manchester met ? Surely it's better fit these people de apprenticeships if they can't even get into a decent uni
    And mate

don't ever demoralise anyone
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's better then nothing. Sometimes people might not have a choice to go somewhere else.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Because most jobs nowadays require a degree and it is better to get a low-paying graduate job after a lot of applications than to work at a fast food restaurant/as a waiter or waitress/in retail for the rest of your life.

In addition, if a person has a specific career goal which requires a degree, they need that degree in order to apply.

Also, because of passion. Some people have a huge interest in a subject and if they did not do well in their A-levels/BTEC/etc, their only option to study the course they want is by going to a university that is not that good.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is so narrow-minded. You don't necessarily need to go to a top ranking university to get a job. Some people don't have any other choice, and graduates from low ranking universities have amazing jobs. FS.

Desiboi101 this thread reminds me of my brother... lol

ReputationRep:
    "Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL or nothing"
    #Tsrmasterrace

(Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    This thread is so narrow-minded. You don't necessarily need to go to a top ranking university to get a job. Some people don't have any other choice, and graduates from low ranking universities have amazing jobs. FS.
    Yeah, but on the other hand, it is also extremely narrow-minded for people to push the narrative that one must go to Uni to get a good job. I think a lot of young people would be better off if they had done apprenticeships rather than going to a rather poor University doing a degree that they aren't too sure they are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Yeah, but on the other hand, it is also extremely narrow-minded for people to push the narrative that one must go to Uni to get a good job.
    I do agree with this statement, but I never said that you must go to university to get a good job.

ReputationRep:
    I could not agree with you more, too many people going to uni for the 'experience'. Its messing the country up big time.

I do agree with this statement, but I never said that you must go to university to get a good job.
    OP said

Surely it's better fit these people de apprenticeships if they can't even get into a decent uni
    And your response implied that even bad Unis were better than apprenticeships, especially with your "some people don't have any other choice"...

ReputationRep:
    Also some people can't move away from home so they don't have the choice of a top 30 uni..

ReputationRep:
    OP said

And your response implied that even bad Unis were better than apprenticeships.
    Lol, I think you're taking my answer the wrong way here.
    I tried to say that you don't need to go to a high ranking university to get a good job. I'm not arguing against apprenticeships..

EDIT: With regards to "some people don't have any other choice.." i was talking about people who want to go to university. As in, they don't have any other choice but to go to a below 30 rank university due to their grades not being high enough. Maybe they do not want to do apprenticeships.

ReputationRep:
    OP, people from bad unis' aren't all dumb.

I went to Greenwich for my undergraduate, because I screwed up A Levels. I have 9 A*s 1 A at GCSE, so I am far from thick.
    I then went to Queen Mary (which is apparently a good uni according to your scale) and achieved a merit in a tough masters degree, try doing graduate level econometrics and you will see!

I went back to Greenwich solely because I like the staff and I got funding, I had an offer from Southampton to do another PhD but it was with no funding.

So am I thick OP?

ReputationRep:
    F*UCK YOU ALL

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    OP said

And your response implied that even bad Unis were better than apprenticeships, especially with your "some people don't have any other choice"...
    I took it to mean that where a degree is needed, and the person is determined to go into that career, they have no choice but to go to a low ranking university and make the best out of it. It could end up going well (provided they work hard and build up their CV); why should someone give up persisting and instead settle for an apprenticeship when they want a particular career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    I took it to mean that where a degree is needed, and the person is determined to go into that career, they have no choice but to go to a low ranking university and make the best out of it. It could end up going well (provided they work hard and build up their CV); why should someone give up persisting and instead settle for an apprenticeship when they want a particular career?
    Thanks, this is what I was trying to say.

ReputationRep:

Desiboi101 this thread reminds me of my brother... lol
    One can argue that you're better off not going to uni as opposed to going to a crap uni.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks, this is what I was trying to say.
    Just clocked your edit, I totally agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    ugh tell me about it !!! i received 16 A*s at GCSE, A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A****A*A at A Level and graduated from both Oxford AND Cambridge with a Starred First in Bio-Chemo-Economical Medicine !!! And people think they have a chance with anything less than that ! smh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.