Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sofia Pictures Watch

I just returned from a really short visit to my home capital Sofia (Bulgaria) and decided to share some pictures of the more interesting parts. I went for some boring family stuff so didn't have time to properly go out and about. But I did visit the Church because I wanted a new icon and to do some shopping on Boulevard Vitosha (the Oxford street of Sofia)

Sofia is a small city, and its interesting to see the new buildings compared to the old Communist Era ones.
    Name:  IMG_6767.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  76.7 KB
    A monument for the liberation of Bulgaria from the Turks and Ottoman Empire by the Russians (located like 100m from Alexander Nevski in the very centre of town)
    Attachment 618912618920
    This is located just opposite the monument of the independence of Bulgaria, it is the National Assembly of the Republic of Bulgaria or Народно събрание на Република България. The Cyrillic says "съединението прави силата" which is the Bulgarian Motto: Unity Makes Strength, adopted from the Belgian, L'union fait la force, after the unification of Bulgaria.

Attachment 618912618920618900
    Literally a sculpture of a lion, next to the monument of the Unknown soldier. At one point, it was critisized by the Bulgarians, as a sitting lion showed defeat and surrender but it's still there :dontknow:

I'll continue the post, just this one seems to be going a bit funny...?
    Tagging in users the may
    Spoiler:
    Show

probably not :rofl:

be interested. Also pls excuse my horrible photography, half of these pics were taken as i was walking past on my phone :rofl:

One of the pics, dunno if this is jumbled, is of Boulevard Vitosha, the Bulgarian Oxford street. Looking down one direction (the direction in the picture) you can see Cathedral Church Sveta Nedelya Катедрален храм „Света Неделя“ and the other direction, on a clear day, you can see Mount Vitosha, the highest mountain in Bulgaria.

Maybe it's working now, lol soz for the weird intermission. K
    Name:  IMG_6771.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  167.5 KB
    This is a monument in Градина "Св. Кл. Охридски" or Saint Clement of Ohrid, a medieval Bulgarian saint. He was one of the most prominent disciples of Saints Cyril and Methodius and is often associated with the creation of the Glagolitic and Cyrillic scripts, especially their popularisation among Christianised Slavs. He was the founder of the Ohrid Literary School and is regarded as a patron of education and language by some Slavic people. He is regarded to be the first bishop of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, one of the seven Apostles of the Bulgarian Empire (Bulgaria), the patron saint of the Republic of Macedonia, the city of Ohrid and the Macedonian Orthodox Church.

Attachment 618940618942

Attachment 618940618942618900
    Obviously The St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral Храм-паметник „Свети Александър Невски“, is a Bulgarian Orthodox cathedral in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. Built in Neo-Byzantine style, it serves as the cathedral church of the Patriarch of Bulgaria and it is one of the largest Eastern Orthodox cathedrals in the world, as well as one of Sofia's symbols and primary tourist attractions.The St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia occupies an area of 3,170 square metres (34,100 sq ft) and can hold 10,000 people inside. It is the second-largest cathedral located on the Balkan Peninsula

[attach]6.189406189426189e+23[/attach]

The interior is decorated with Italian marble in various colours, Brazilian onyx, alabaster, and other luxurious materials. The central dome has the Lord's Prayer inscribed around it, with thin gold letters.

The Pics really don't do it justice unfortunately.. Hopefully i'll find better ones and some more from around sofia too!
    Attached Images

Oh Bugger
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Oh Bugger
    Thought it said sofa pictures
    Pleasantly surprised
    Name:  the.png
Views: 40
Size:  64.8 KB

(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Thought it said sofa pictures
    Pleasantly surprised
    Name:  the.png
Views: 40
Size:  64.8 KB
    Now that's an interesting thread idea
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Now that's an interesting thread idea
    :rofl:
    rip my eyes

ReputationRep:
    Ay welcome back brah

(Original post by z33)
    Ay welcome back brah
    tanks and i forgot you and SinsNotTragedies :emo: soz i'm soy jet lagged. :hide:

ReputationRep:
    tanks and i forgot you and SinsNotTragedies :emo: soz i'm soy jet lagged. :hide:
    bare r00d - it's aight I've seen most of them already
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I WAS JUST in the midst of writing a post here bemoaning the fact that I didn't get tagged

good to know you didn't forget me though :ahee:

your snapchats were great, they gave me so much envy :daydreaming:

(Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    I WAS JUST in the midst of writing a post here bemoaning the fact that I didn't get tagged

good to know you didn't forget me though :ahee:

your snapchats were great, they gave me so much envy :daydreaming:
    i keep forgetting i have you on snapchat cos ur username is dumb and doesn't match ur real name or tsr name...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    i keep forgetting i have you on snapchat cos ur username is dumb and doesn't match ur real name or tsr name...
    Shhhhh don't... :lol: the less said about that the better :facepalm:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oh Bugger
    bless u, hpe u had a good time <3

(Original post by ihatePE)
    bless u, hpe u had a good time <3
    thank you hoe, i did for the most part.
    my new headphones stopped working on the tube ride home so i'm quite upset
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    thank you hoe, i did for the most part.
    my new headphones stopped working on the tube ride home so i'm quite upset
    that is devastating :/

ReputationRep:
    thought it was pics of your sister :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Oh Bugger
    Is that a church in the last few pics? They had similar ones in Greece. They're catholic churches right?

They're quite the work of art tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Is that a church in the last few pics? They had similar ones in Greece. They're catholic churches right?

Yep it looks like the Nevsky Cathedral. It's an Eastern Orthodox church. Serbia, Greece, Russia and Romania also Orthodox nations.

Lovely pictures OP.

(Original post by Zargabaath)

yep Alexander Nevsky. Not catholic...Orthodox :rofl:

Yeah it's nice to appreciate the beauty of religion instead of always focusing on the negatives. :yep:

(Original post by rockrunride)
    Yep it looks like the Nevsky Cathedral. It's an Eastern Orthodox church. Serbia, Greece, Russia and Romania also Orthodox nations.

Lovely pictures OP.
    it is. thanks, if i had time and could be better i'm sure they'd look a lot better.

(Original post by the bear)
    thought it was pics of your sister :teehee:
    you will never get pics of my sister, i can GUARANTEE that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.