Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confussed about GCSEs help a old timer out.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I will cut a long story short, I'm in my 20s I left school with no GCSEs for the simple fact I was planning on living a life of crime and felt they wouldn't be useful. Well my criminal plans came to an end.

Now not having GCSEs has not affected me in the slightest but I want to have them so I can say "I passed GCSE maths and english" however Im confussed about the grading system..am I right in thinking there is no A-U system anymore and its now grade 1-9?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    I will cut a long story short, I'm in my 20s I left school with no GCSEs for the simple fact I was planning on living a life of crime and felt they wouldn't be useful. Well my criminal plans came to an end.

Now not having GCSEs has not affected me in the slightest but I want to have them so I can say "I passed GCSE maths and english" however Im confussed about the grading system..am I right in thinking there is no A-U system anymore and its now grade 1-9?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, 9 is the new A* and 1 is the new U I think

ReputationRep:
    1-9, with 9 being A**, then it just goes down.
    Currently, you'll only have scales for English and Maths, next year I think, they'll be doing it for all other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    This is crazy this puts me off alot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AeliusSejanus)
    1-9, with 9 being A**, then it just goes down.
    Currently, you'll only have scales for English and Maths, next year I think, they'll be doing it for all other subjects.
    Do they still do foundation and higher tier exams or isit just one big exam you score a 1-9 grade on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do they still do foundation and higher tier exams or isit just one big exam you score a 1-9 grade on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    foundation and higher r still a thing

ReputationRep:
    It's now 9-U ( 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, U )

9 = A** (New super grade, really hard to get)
    8 = A* (Equivalent to the old A*)
    7 = A
    6 = B
    5 = C ( This is the new 'GCSE Pass' and is harder to get than then previous 'C' grade, which was the old 'GCSE Pass')
    4 = D ( This is equivalent to the old 'GCSE Pass' and is no longer considered a pass)
    3 = E
    2 = F
    1 = G
    And the 'U' grade doesn't change

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, the GCSEs being sat by Year 11's this year are still A-U, excluding English and Maths which are being graded on the new 9-1 system.
    I have no idea why this has been done, but there's nothing to really be done about it. From next year on, all GCSE exams will be graded 9-1.

It may sound like a good idea but it is very confusing for everyone as no one really knows what the grades mean exactly with 9 being considered a very high A* (maybe even a new A** grade) and the rest of the grades from 7 down to 4 being considered almost a mixture of the current grades e.g. A/B or B/C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian-S)
    It's now 9-U ( 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, U )

9 = A** (New super grade, really hard to get)
    8 = A* (Equivalent to the old A*)
    7 = A
    6 = B
    5 = C ( This is the new 'GCSE Pass' and is harder to get than then previous 'C' grade, which was the old 'GCSE Pass'
    4 = D ( This is equivalent to the old 'GCSE Pass' and is no longer considered a pass)
    3 = E
    2 = F
    1 = G
    And the 'U' grade doesn't change
    A 4 is definitely considered a pass, many colleges accept a minimum of a 4 (low C) in English and Mathematics. DfE said 5 is a 'good pass', but a 4 is still considered good enough for employers, colleges and universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quizlet)
    A 4 is definitely considered a pass, many colleges accept a minimum of a 4 (low C) in English and Mathematics. DfE said 5 is a 'good pass', but a 4 is still considered good enough for employers, colleges and universities.
    Huh, strange. My school said that a 5 is needed for a GCSE pass, maybe with entry requirements it's a different story, but for all the A-Level, and some GCSE subjects, you need at least a 5/6 in Maths and English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian-S)
    Huh, strange. My school said that a 5 is needed for a GCSE pass, maybe with entry requirements it's a different story, but for all the A-Level, and some GCSE subjects, you need at least a 5/6 in Maths and English.
    Ah, at my school a 4 equates to a C (old level 2 pass). However, I guess to be on the safe side, a 5 is a definite pass.

ReputationRep:
    They're trying to push up the standard without anyone noticing, so all old Cs and Bs will be spread out across 4, 5 and 6, but 5 is now the 'strong pass' that they want. Everyone who got an A or A* before should get 7, 8 or 9 with only the top 20% of A/A* students getting a 9.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.