Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Considering dropping out of uni even though I love the course. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I honestly am starting to feel so trapped and angry and panicked by university. It's mostly to do with money but there are other things going on too. When I came down to uni, there were a lot of unforeseen costs (not booze money) and I ended up burning through my savings. I didn't have a lot of money to begin with because I had such a rough start in life, it was mostly money I'd saved from odd jobs in high school and sixth form and money I got at Christmas. So I end up with barely anything left and student finance are no help, their loan doesn't even cover my rent in halls. My dad gives me what he can but even though he's considered a high earner, he's struggling financially too with his own debt and the mortgage and stuff and it's putting a strain on our relationship because I feel like I'm always asking him for money. I've looked obsessively for work - sending 30+ applications a week and handing my CV into stores but can't find work around my uni timetable or that I have the experience for.

Recently, I had to replace my old laptop when it broke so I bought a cheap new one. Now that's broke within 5 days of me buying it. I have no money to replace or fix it. I don't want to go to my dad because he just agreed to help me pay the deposit for a student house next year, asking would be taking the piss but I need the laptop to do work and so many other things: like applying for jobs, staying connected to friends and family, working on writing projects, etc.

I don't know what to do, because I'm broke and it's taking its toll on me. I'm not eating right - sometimes I have to chose between eating and washing my clothes. Don't go out drinking or clubbing because I can't afford it. Don't go out to the cinema. Don't buy new things. Sometimes I even struggle to buy things I need like toiletries or books off my reading list.

I really love my course: I do Creative Writing so it's a lot of fun and I have made some really great friend at uni but I feel like I'm not even living, I'm just getting by. I worry constantly about money it makes everything seem hopeless and I have no motivation to do a lot of things that I used to enjoy. I have had problems with sleep since I came down to halls which have made everything worse and have left me at the point where I'm physically sick and shaking from lack or sleep. Plus the joys of communal living: a flatmate who *****es about everyone, is condescending and two-faced and speaks to me like **** on her shoes. The other flatmates are nice when they're not stealing my stuff or using it without permission and leaving it dirty and lying around.

I'm having a really horrible time at uni and, while I love the course, my friends and living independently and on my own terms, I feel like I'm not thriving here at all and I might just be better off dropping out and going back home to find a full-time job (even though I hate living with my dad and step-mum now I am so accustomed to living independently.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImBatgirl)
    I didn't have a lot of money to begin with because I had such a rough start in life, it was mostly money I'd saved from odd jobs in high school and sixth form and money I got at Christmas.
    And yet here you are, in university doing a subject you love. I can imagine this must be really stressful on you and you feel like just giving up but if you cannot find a job now, what makes you think you will find a job if you quit uni? You will still be filling in all those applications.

Is it not possible get to financial help from the uni? I think they offer hardship loans or something? Don't be embarrassed about your financial situation and you should let the university and student finance know... perhaps they will take another look at your fathers earnings and they might give you some extra money.

It would be such a shame to quit now after everything you've been through, keep on applying and apply for every job on campus, maybe something will open up for you.

I hope things turn around for you but think long and hard before you quit, there have been people living in tents eating ramens who have managed it. Something else you could try is asking your universities student finance department to help you create a budget spreadsheet so you can allocate your funds and you know EXACTLY how much you can spend a week.

I really hope your situation improves.

ReputationRep:
    Health should be a number one priority. If you don't have good health your body cannot transport you through life. You seem like a very good writer. Don't waste your talent by poor health. Do the thing you need the most but don't give up on your dreams and goals for the future and be grateful for good experiences you have.

ReputationRep:
    It would be a real shame to leave uni on the basis of finance alone. Definitely talk to your uni. Enquire about a hardship loan.

Also have a look at the Approved Food website. This helps my budget tremendously.

Wishing you well.

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be, if your university allows it, is to ask if you could leave the course for a year. Explain that you're having great financial difficulty, and would temporarily like to postpone your studies for a year in order to save up.

I would say that if the university came to an agreement that you can take a year out of your studies, move back home and aim to get a job. I'm unsure as to how supportive your parents may be i.e. if they will charge rent and/or make you contribute financially etc, or even be open to the idea of you living back at home for a year, but if they are able to support you for a year, I'd advise getting a job and saving as much as possible.

I noticed however that you may not want to live at home, so you could perhaps stay in the place you're studying at and seek full-time employment for the year.

This has been my contingency plan. hope you may find it useful. Best of luck.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear this.

I would echo what has been mentioned above; definitely go to your university and talk to them about hardship funds/bursaries. They're there to help people like you.

Definitely take your laptop back to where you got it from! 5 days is not good enough and even if you had no warranty or anything, as long as you didn't use it as a frizbee or something you should be able to get a replacement or a refund if you bought it less than 30 days ago.

As for jobs, have you tried looking for 0 hours contracts/casual work that will fit around your schedule? Usually these need no prior experience and could include things like working as a student ambassador, event staffing (e.g. waitressing/marshalling at dinners or sports events), being an extra, dog walking/pet sitting and tutoring. A lot of these things can be found through agencies so have a look online.

In terms of living costs, I'm not disparaging your money management skills, but is it absolutely necessary to be buying books from your reading list? There's no real reason that you should need your own hard copy, and the library should have copies of what you need. Also, legally or otherwise, in this day and age many books are available for free as PDFs online...

Again, I'm sorry that you're in this situation. I hope you can get some assistance soon. It would be a real shame to drop out since you are enjoying your course. To boot, dropping out now would lumber you with £9k+ of debt with nothing to show for it, which I'm sure would not help the financial situation. If you absolutely cannot cope this year then perhaps instead consider deferring until next academic year? You could work full time until then to help replenish your savings.
    • Very Important Poster

I honestly am starting to feel so trapped and angry and panicked by university. It's mostly to do with money but there are other things going on too. When I came down to uni, there were a lot of unforeseen costs (not booze money) and I ended up burning through my savings. I didn't have a lot of money to begin with because I had such a rough start in life, it was mostly money I'd saved from odd jobs in high school and sixth form and money I got at Christmas. So I end up with barely anything left and student finance are no help, their loan doesn't even cover my rent in halls. My dad gives me what he can but even though he's considered a high earner, he's struggling financially too with his own debt and the mortgage and stuff and it's putting a strain on our relationship because I feel like I'm always asking him for money. I've looked obsessively for work - sending 30+ applications a week and handing my CV into stores but can't find work around my uni timetable or that I have the experience for.

Recently, I had to replace my old laptop when it broke so I bought a cheap new one. Now that's broke within 5 days of me buying it. I have no money to replace or fix it. I don't want to go to my dad because he just agreed to help me pay the deposit for a student house next year, asking would be taking the piss but I need the laptop to do work and so many other things: like applying for jobs, staying connected to friends and family, working on writing projects, etc.

I don't know what to do, because I'm broke and it's taking its toll on me. I'm not eating right - sometimes I have to chose between eating and washing my clothes. Don't go out drinking or clubbing because I can't afford it. Don't go out to the cinema. Don't buy new things. Sometimes I even struggle to buy things I need like toiletries or books off my reading list.

I really love my course: I do Creative Writing so it's a lot of fun and I have made some really great friend at uni but I feel like I'm not even living, I'm just getting by. I worry constantly about money it makes everything seem hopeless and I have no motivation to do a lot of things that I used to enjoy. I have had problems with sleep since I came down to halls which have made everything worse and have left me at the point where I'm physically sick and shaking from lack or sleep. Plus the joys of communal living: a flatmate who *****es about everyone, is condescending and two-faced and speaks to me like **** on her shoes. The other flatmates are nice when they're not stealing my stuff or using it without permission and leaving it dirty and lying around.

I'm having a really horrible time at uni and, while I love the course, my friends and living independently and on my own terms, I feel like I'm not thriving here at all and I might just be better off dropping out and going back home to find a full-time job (even though I hate living with my dad and step-mum now I am so accustomed to living independently.)
    Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time.

1. Job is key. You just have to keep going. Improve your applis, 1 page CV should be plenty. Hopefully you are looking at jobs in the SU and uni admin as well as they tend to eb well paid and flexible. Anything bat work etc just a couple of evenings a week would make all the difference. With that many apps you are trying hard, get your letter and CV checked at careers, then just keep at it. Soemthing will turn up.
    2. Go to the Uni and look into bursaries for students in financial difficulty.
    3. Go and talk to student support services and let them look at your finances/ make suggestions.
    4. As a last resort you have your bank o/d
    5. As the absolute last resort, then you can suspend your studies and return next year or whenever you can afford to resume them. Go speak to your tutor and they will maybe put in a word for you with bursaries at least to point out you might be dropping out.
    6. If you bought your laptop new, then easy peasy just send it back to the shop for a repair. In fact as you say 5 days, then you can get your money back, so you dont even have to bother with a repair.
    7. If food is going missing then just keep it in a box in your room. you obviously sound stressed. If you get a job and regular income then it will all seem a bit less hostile. All the usual shop well i.e @ Aldi, cook for yourself and get cheap nuritious food. Might be bland but you can tide yourself over. Porridge is highly nutritious and cheap.

Hang in there and do try the things I suggested. Hope the job breaks for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSalman)

I noticed however that you may not want to live at home, so you could perhaps stay in the place you're studying at and seek full-time employment for the year.
    Unfortunately the OP is in university halls. If they suspend their studies, they will not be allowed to stay there. In addition, they may be tied into a contract which requires them to pay the rent for the full academic year, even if uni regs say they have to move out.

Always best to check the small print.

ReputationRep:

Ok don't panic you just need a job have you considerd looking at the SU bar or somthing perhaps a shop for a couple of. It's a week or even bar work in town it doesn't matter what bar even if it's a titty bar they all need at staff ( I here titty bars pay well for bar staff and dancers alike) go to the SU job shop they should be Abel to help you find somthing.

ReputationRep:
    i find it somewhat improbable that it is impossible to find work around a Creativwe writing degree ... how many COMPULSORY contact hours do you have ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    i find it somewhat improbable that it is impossible to find work around a Creativwe writing degree ... how many COMPULSORY contact hours do you have ?
    It's not so much the hours, it's the timings. My timetable is all over the place - I have lectures 3PM-9PM then during the day 1PM-6PM four days a week. All the jobs I've seen have set shifts that cut through my lecturers or want you to be flexible/work different days. When I don't find jobs with that problem, they won't hire me because I don't have enough experience or I need a car to get there (and I don't drive for medical reasons.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Unfortunately the OP is in university halls. If they suspend their studies, they will not be allowed to stay there. In addition, they may be tied into a contract which requires them to pay the rent for the full academic year, even if uni regs say they have to move out.

Always best to check the small print.
    Sorry for not scrutinizing her post.

In light of what you've told me, I would suggest then she could either a) find private accommodation for the year or b) move back in with her parents. I strongly suggested option B since it would be better in terms of not having to pay rent or have to handle all the responsibilities independently.

Not to mention OP mentioned that she wouldn't want to move back, due to her preference of independence. So, the most suited option would be option A.

ReputationRep:
    if the OP is in halls or other university managed accomodation withdrawing / deferring usually ends your opbligation to play for your licence to occupy fro mthe date you empty your room and hand the keys back.

in uni accomodation you are alsmost invariably NOT a tenant

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.