Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Self-Studying Further Maths/Physics A Level- best exam board to take watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am considering self-studying either Further Maths or Physics A level as I find I have quite a bit of spare time in my gap year. I was wondering anyone could advise any useful resources for this and what the best exam boards are for either subject?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Percypig17)
    Hey, I am considering self-studying either Further Maths or Physics A level as I find I have quite a bit of spare time in my gap year. I was wondering anyone could advise any useful resources for this and what the best exam boards are for either subject?
    Edexcel - textbooks are sufficient, self explanatory and loads of videos / support available online. This is for maths, not sure about physics, sorry!

If you want to sit he exams and have no preference for applied units then stats is easy to self teach - I self taught FM including S2-S4.

ReputationRep:
    It's well nigh impossible to complete Physics including the practicals as a private candidate.

If you want to take Further Maths then stick to the board you took Maths with as this will provide more flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    Self teaching / learning Further Maths for fun and seeking knowledge - certainly possible.

Self teaching / learning Further Maths for seeking knowledge and examination purposes - questionable.

Self teaching / learning Further Maths for seeking knowledge, examination purposes and as preparation for mathematical thinking further afield - must be very careful doing this.

Same for physics.

Reasons are simple. A good teacher / tutor will actually connect the A level concepts with the sub (advanced) concepts afield in mathematcs, which you will certainly miss if self taught apprach is adopted. Further, a good teacher / tutor will teach you how to construct mind experiments/thoughts for analysing concepts that you are finding difficult and provoke your thought process, and you will miss this badly when self taught. There is aslo examination aspect when it comes to self taught approach, and a good teacher / tutor will guide you towards multiple methods / ways for same problems, perhaps combination like quickest and trickiest or longest and easier to understand or methods in between.

This is also why self teaching may well be a good idea in undergraduate / graduate phase of studies in mathematics.

I found a very good description of undergraduate / graduate phase of studies in mathematics.

Go to
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8697772

Have a little scroll down and you will see relatively large piece of text starting with

I absolutely, positively second the recommendation of "Real Mathematical Analysis".

Then you can make your mind up.

Finally, examination board is irrelevant, when it comes to Maths, Further Maths and Physics, once you have completed you should be confident that you would be able to tackle any board / any question, bar statistics and decision maths.

Practice for particular (or for that matter any examination board) examination board is different ball game altogether, where you are trying to incease the chances for getting familiar questions. Further, examinations is more about using the most familiar concepts in shortest possible time. Therefore, some who ace examinations may not be confident (indeed if they know it) with all concepts / methods etc.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm also considering taking these subjects. When you say you're "self-studying" do you mean via a distance learning course?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.