Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trump in FREEFALL as disapproval ratings SOAR Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    as a joke it is perfectly fine, like how I call Merkel Hitler, but as a political argument it is invalid unless you can actually back it up
    Not a joke. Trump's dictatorial style and attempts to ride rough-shod over the judiciary, as well as using a minority group as a national scapegoat is quite a lot like Hitler. And he looks like a squished Wotsit.
    Merkel is nothing like Hitler, either in appearance or politics. You calling her that just shows how limited your knowledge of either of them is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Not a joke. Trump's dictatorial style and attempts to ride rough-shod over the judiciary, as well as using a minority group as a national scapegoat is quite a lot like Hitler. And he looks like a squished Wotsit.
    Merkel is nothing like Hitler, either in appearance or politics. You calling her that just shows how limited your knowledge of either of them is.
    me calling Merkel Hitler is a bit of a joke because she has really ruined Germany and the EU in my eyes, And as I clearly said as a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    Oh dear.

Well, show's over, military coup underway in due course.
    The US will never have a military coup, I'm pretty sure of that. The tyrant will be murdered before he can get to power. Gun laws and the political culture in the US don't allow for leaders to play God.

I realise your authoritarian impulses are strong but don't project them onto the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    The tyrant will be murdered before he can get to power. Gun laws and the political culture in the US don't allow for leaders to play God.
    Erm, sorry to be the bearer, and all that, but the tyrant is already in power and attempting to play god.

ReputationRep:
    me calling Merkel Hitler is a bit of a joke because she has really ruined Germany and the EU in my eyes, And as I clearly said as a joke.
    Germany is the most competetive economy in the EU, and fourth in the world. It has less crime and is safer than the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ and USA, and is 6th in the global Human Development table.
    Not too shabby in my eyes.

I'm guessing you don't study politics, economics or world development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Germany is the most competetive economy in the EU, and fourth in the world. It has less crime and is safer than the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ and USA, and is 6th in the global Human Development table.

I dont deny that but the Amount of migrants that Germany has let in has and will cause serious problems socially Germany will get far worse.

(Original post by QE2)

And think about how much better it would have been without the refugees, and especially how much better it would have been in the future if it weren't for the migrants.

ReputationRep:
    I dont deny that but the Amount of migrants that Germany has let in has and will cause serious problems socially Germany will get far worse.
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    And think about how much better it would have been without the refugees, and especially how much better it would have been in the future if it weren't for the migrants.
    We all know that the problems facing the developed nations are not caused by migrants. To some extent they are actually alleviated by them.

Migrants contribute more to the UK economy than they take out, and the only times my safety has been compromised in the UK has been by white English chavs, or white English rugby players.
    And my g/f's grandmother was a refugee, so we'll be having none of that nonsense round here TYVM!

(Original post by QE2)
    We all know that the problems facing the developed nations are not caused by migrants. To some extent they are actually alleviated by them.

Migrants contribute more to the UK economy than they take out, and the only times my safety has been compromised in the UK has been by white English chavs, or white English rugby players.
    And my g/f's grandmother was a refugee, so we'll be having none of that nonsense round here TYVM!
    You know that the "refugees" are not comparable to the migrants we get from the EU (who do have a positive contribution to the UK, as opposed to the non-EU migrants overall).

As for your anecdotes about your safety, whatever mate. Lets not pretend that refugees don't have a much higher violent crime rate than the native population, or even EU migrants.

ReputationRep:
    You know that the "refugees" are not comparable to the migrants we get from the EU (who do have a positive contribution to the UK, as opposed to the non-EU migrants overall).
    Do I? Not sure if I do. I will treat people as individuals and will not dismiss an entire group as worthless, violent or indolent, just because the Daily Mail tells me I should.

As for your anecdotes about your safety, whatever mate. Lets not pretend that refugees don't have a much higher violent crime rate than the native population, or even EU migrants.
    I don't need to pretend anything. However, if you have figures that show that I am more at risk of violence from refugees than from indigenous people, I will look at it and change my position accordingly.

(Original post by QE2)
    Do I? Not sure if I do. I will treat people as individuals and will not dismiss an entire group as worthless, violent or indolent, just because the Daily Mail tells me I should.
    This isn't about the Daily Mail. When do they ever post statistics?

I don't need to pretend anything. However, if you have figures that show that I am more at risk of violence from refugees than from indigenous people, I will look at it and change my position accordingly.
    Of course you aren't more at risk from refugees than whites, because you live in the UK and we don't have a million refugees roaming about. But we are talking about Germany, so please don't make this specifically about you!

Have a read here https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comm...lly_linked_to/

ReputationRep:
    This isn't about the Daily Mail. When do they ever post statistics?
    They certainly tell people who is to blame for a country's problems.

Of course you aren't more at risk from refugees than whites, because you live in the UK and we don't have a million refugees roaming about.
    You make them sound like wildebeest!

But we are talking about Germany, so please don't make this specifically about you!

Have a read here https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/5k9ut4/are_refugees_andor_migrants_real ly_linked_to/
    I'm no statistician, but a suspect rate of over 4000 per 1000 head of population seems unlikely.
    And it's been steadily declining for five years, which doesn't really fit your narrative (2015 levels are down 75% from 2012).

(Original post by QE2)
    They certainly tell people who is to blame for a country's problems.
    So whenever someone says a refugee is more dangerous than a native, they must just be motivated by the Daily Mail's dribble.

I'm no statistician, but a suspect rate of over 4000 per 1000 head of population seems unlikely.
    Suspects, not necessarily actual criminals. Its possible to be arrested multiple times, when there is insufficient evidence to place you behind bars, but sufficient to place you as a suspect. And bear in mind (this is probably the main reason) that many suspects from other countries would have given their nationality as Syrian when arrested, but outside of crime statistics they would not actually count towards the total Syrian population. (I believe further studies show that actual Syrian refugees have lower crime rates than other refugees, but the figure is hugely inflated by fake Syrians).

And it's been steadily declining for five years, which doesn't really fit your narrative (2015 levels are down 75% from 2012).
    The rate of decline doesn't have anything to do with 'my narrative'. You asked me to show that they had higher crime rates than natives. I did (if we accept that if they are hugely more likely to be crime suspects, they are more likely to be criminals). Stop moving the goal posts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.