Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to learn Arabic Watch

ReputationRep:
    The standard faseeh/fushah arabic is understood by all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    Oh yeah it is a very complicated language but it makes sense and with some hard work you could be at a level where you can start to read without tashkeel (voul signs) in around six or even less.
    It would probably take me a couple of years to learn Arabic like not just words but communicate with others and understand them. But that would be so awesome to read without tashkheel.
    It makes me really happy even thinking about it. I'm going to learn the language like I'm studying for it. I'm going to put in hard work. Maybe get myself a teacher inshallah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    If your purpose is to travel and speak to other Muslims then the most widely spoken dialect is Egyptian as far as I know. If you want to teach or read the Quran learn standard.
    Yeah, I'm doing both. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    Bittawfeeq! (Good luck)
    Thanks, just gonna add that to my glossary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laughh3)
    Learn Fus-ha arabic. It's the Arabic used in the Qur'aan and is used for the news, etc. so most Arabs understand it.
    Yeah the msa. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
    Modern Standard Arabic is understood by all Arabic speakers but the Egyptian Arabic Dialect is probably the best-understood dialect due to the popularity of Egyptian media in the Arabic world and the fact that Egypt is the biggest Arabic speaking country. I want to learn Arabic too, I might apply for a joint French/Spanish and Arabic degree at uni
    Oh so that's why everyone is saying Egyptian. You really should, if I was at uni I would. When I get to uni, I'm defo going to learn Arabic there! By the time you leave, you'll know a lot more Arabic than you think.

ReputationRep:
    Somalis are not Arab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    Somalis are not Arab
    Somalis are black is what I said?

ReputationRep:
    Bittawfeeq ya hamar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    Oh so that's why everyone is saying Egyptian. You really should, if I was at uni I would. When I get to uni, I'm defo going to learn Arabic there! By the time you leave, you'll know a lot more Arabic than you think.
    Exactly, sometimes I'm put off by the difficulty of the language and how different it would be to learn compared with the other languages I do, but it would open so many doors and I know I'd find learning Arabic so interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbooree.)
    I will never learn the disgusting language of the smelly arabs.

They are inferior,evil savages.
    We love you too habibi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbooree.)
    I will never learn the disgusting language of the smelly arabs.

They are inferior,evil savages.
    wallah ur not wrong

ReputationRep:
    Start with a GCSE in Arabic maybe?

ReputationRep:
    OP WHY IS UR PROFILE PICTURE KSI's RAPE FACE? :puke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerald7770)
    Learn the Saudi Dilect. The egyptian dilect is weird imo

ReputationRep:
    Why do some black somalis really want to be Arab?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    Weird how? Learning the egyptian dilect would be more useful than the Saudi one I think

ReputationRep:
    ma too ma gentlemn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    Which one? There are numerous dialects that are spoken in Saudi Arabia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boondock Saint)
    No one speaks Modern Standard Arabic. Children grow up learning their own dialect at home and then when they get older they go to school and learn Modern Standard Arabic which is used for all reading and writing. Many will tell you that it's best to learn MSA on that basis because everyone understands it, which is true, but if you were to go to an Arab country and start speaking MSA, many people would probably find it quite funny and reply to you in their dialect anyway. All in all, it depends on what you want to learn Arabic for. If it's for religious or academic reasons, then yes, MSA is what you should be learning. But if it's for leisure, then I'd go with a dialect. In my view, the most commonly understood dialect is the Egyptian one and the resources on it are much more widely available than any other, however, the Palestinian/Jordanian dialect is also a good one to learn because it's the closest to MSA.
    The Egyptian dialect is very common, but I think that the Syrian/Palestinian would be better and a lot easier to understand and learn

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.