Turn on thread page Beta

How I'll is she? watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend currently has 2 none cancerous brain tumors but has undergone surgery to remove a septic cyst behind her eye and has has a section of skull and nose bone and cartilage removed. Since this operation one of her kidneys failed and erupted and has now been removed. She's in her 30s but and so has muscular health issues. She really does look like she's on deaths door. I know it's very serious the condition she is in and people have told me she will be lucky to survive. These people are not medical trained but could they be right? I'd she unlikely to survive
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Annominous8293)
    My friend currently has 2 none cancerous brain tumors but has undergone surgery to remove a septic cyst behind her eye and has has a section of skull and nose bone and cartilage removed. Since this operation one of her kidneys failed and erupted and has now been removed. She's in her 30s but and so has muscular health issues. She really does look like she's on deaths door. I know it's very serious the condition she is in and people have told me she will be lucky to survive. These people are not medical trained but could they be right? I'd she unlikely to survive
    It depends on quite a few factors and it's difficult to say without being a medical professional (or even then) what her chances are. On the bright side she is having all these treatments which should hopefully remove some of the main problems, but it is a very serious situation to be in and there is a high chance that something will go wrong. I would prepare yourself for the possibility that she may be permanently damaged in some way or may die. There are charities and other services out there to help people process loss or potential loss so don't be afraid to reach out to one if you feel like it could help you.
    That said, you do hear of people surviving things you would have thought were death sentences all the time and she is in the right hands. The odds may be stacked against her, but she could still pull through.

I guess I haven't really helped much there. Thing is it depends a lot on how she responds to treatments and if the timing's right and things like that. I'm not sure how involved you are in her situation, but it's best to listen more to what doctors and nurses say than people saying things like that. Obviously they're just trying to say something and help in some way, but as you said, there's no medical foundation to it so it's best not to base your expectations off that.

I'm sorry you (and her) are in such a difficult situation and wish you both the best.

ReputationRep:
    Organ failure is never good, kidneys clean the blood apparently (from what I remember from GCSE biology). People can live on one kidney, just means they need to watch what they eat and maintain more water than usual.

I think she will survive, as long as her other organs hold up. Stay strong OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    It depends on quite a few factors and it's difficult to say without being a medical professional (or even then) what her chances are. On the bright side she is having all these treatments which should hopefully remove some of the main problems, but it is a very serious situation to be in and there is a high chance that something will go wrong. I would prepare yourself for the possibility that she may be permanently damaged in some way or may die. There are charities and other services out there to help people process loss or potential loss so don't be afraid to reach out to one if you feel like it could help you.
    That said, you do hear of people surviving things you would have thought were death sentences all the time and she is in the right hands. The odds may be stacked against her, but she could still pull through.

I guess I haven't really helped much there. Thing is it depends a lot on how she responds to treatments and if the timing's right and things like that. I'm not sure how involved you are in her situation, but it's best to listen more to what doctors and nurses say than people saying things like that. Obviously they're just trying to say something and help in some way, but as you said, there's no medical foundation to it so it's best not to base your expectations off that.

I'm sorry you (and her) are in such a difficult situation and wish you both the best.
    Thank you. Yeah I don't take their opinions as gospel I just know sometimes people can say things that are quite harsh just for the sake of conversation. Thank u. U have helped

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.