Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am heading off to Halton very soon, so I pose a question for all of you who have completed it.

If you could go back and tell yourself one thing before you start, what would it be?

ReputationRep:
    No matter how tired you get, how fed up you get of the ******** from the instructors or how much the communal living with people you don't know might get to you: play the game, it's a means to an end and it's absolutely nothing like the real RAF.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Learn to sew before you go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unruly1986)
    Learn to sew before you go!
    Actually, you only need to see your name in your beret now. No issues. Plus, bed packs are now duvets! #comfort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni-Chick)
    Actually, you only need to see your name in your beret now. No issues. Plus, bed packs are now duvets! #comfort
    That's horrendous. The amount of nights I spent freezing to death because I refused to put the standard itchy blankets anywhere near me. Those things were like fibreglass strands!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan9900)
    That's horrendous. The amount of nights I spent freezing to death because I refused to put the standard itchy blankets anywhere near me. Those things were like fibreglass strands!
    Tell me about it! It was luxury on SATS when we got duvets! We made It a thing to make the staff laugh with the most outrageous covers possible. Think the bloke with my little pony wins though.

In all seriousness, I get it. But it's pathetic! I live in the block and I swear to God people do not know how to live clean. The Air Force has gone way too soft. We need to go back to teaching basic hygiene and living in close quarters. (Sorry off topic but true )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni-Chick)
    Tell me about it! It was luxury on SATS when we got duvets! We made It a thing to make the staff laugh with the most outrageous covers possible. Think the bloke with my little pony wins though.

In all seriousness, I get it. But it's pathetic! I live in the block and I swear to God people do not know how to live clean. The Air Force has gone way too soft. We need to go back to teaching basic hygiene and living in close quarters. (Sorry off topic but true )
    Duvets would have made hell of a difference, even if you were still only getting a few hours sleep!

Yeah I think that's the same anywhere though. I was in the fairly modern slam blocks at Coningsby for 14 months and that was like living in luxury compared to Halton and phase 2. People generally keep things cleaner if it's not a dump to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan9900)
    Duvets would have made hell of a difference, even if you were still only getting a few hours sleep!

Yeah I think that's the same anywhere though. I was in the fairly modern slam blocks at Coningsby for 14 months and that was like living in luxury compared to Halton and phase 2. People generally keep things cleaner if it's not a dump to begin with.
    See here's where I disagree. Our blocks here at Brize are much newer than the SLAM at Conningsby and they are forever filthy. I had a girl on my corridor leave a rubbish bag outside her room for 6 days- I slit it open and emptied the content outside of her door on the 7th day. She wasn't happy trying to clean the carpet 😂! The rooms at Wittering are a much better layout, as only those on your corridor can get into your kitchen etc. We have 3 blocks in 1 and anyone can use any kitchen/wash room.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.