Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Please answer, no ignoring) Are the last two years of a medical degree free? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry it is a bit long. I have Asperger's syndrome. My mother is a doctor (Registrar Paediatrician) at a hospital in East London.

Going to university costs £9250 per year. However, I once read on the NHS website that the last two years of a medical degree are free. Is this true? Or will I have to pay extortionate amounts of money?

ReputationRep:
    If you do a five year course your fifth year is free.

If you do a six year course (where you spend a year doing a bsc) your fifth and sixth years are free.

(Original post by iamadoctorsson)
      Going to university costs £9250 per year. However, I once read on the NHS website that the last two years of a medical degree are free. Is this true? Or will I have to pay extortionate amounts of money?
      If it's a six-year course, yes. The rule is that the NHS pays your tuition after fourth year, so if it's a five year course, then the NHS pays one year's tuition.

You wouldn't be paying any tuition upfront anyway (assuming you're a home applicant) so there's no need to worry about not being able to afford the extortionate fees.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.