The Student Room Group

pH based question.can any one answer with proper concept with calculation.

Which one of the following solution shows the largest change in pH,on addition of 1cm^3 of 0.1moldm^-3 HCl?
1)24cm^3 of 0.1 moldm^3 HCl
2)24cm^3 of 0.1 moldm^3 NaOH
3)24 cm^3 of pure water
4)24 cm^3 of a solution containing a mixture of 0.05 moldm^3 CH3COONa and 0.05 moldm^3 CH3COOH
5)24 cm^3 of 0.1 moldm^3 CH3COONa
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Amusing Elk so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by Inoo
Which one of the following solution shows the largest change in pH,on addition of 1cm^3 of 0.1moldm^-3 HCl?
1)24cm^3 of 0.1 moldm^3 HCl
2)24cm^3 of 0.1 moldm^3 NaOH
3)24 cm^3 of pure water
4)24 cm^3 of a solution containing a mixture of 0.05 moldm^3 CH3COONa and 0.05 moldm^3 CH3COOH
5)24 cm^3 of 0.1 moldm^3 CH3COONa

You need to go through them case-by-case and think about what would happen.
What are your present thoughts?
Reply 3
I got the pH changed to be zero for the first one,I have no idea how to continue for the rest of the answers to check.would you please help me the concept with calculation.
Original post by Inoo
I got the pH changed to be zero for the first one,I have no idea how to continue for the rest of the answers to check.would you please help me the concept with calculation.

See attached. You need to know Ka and Kb to do it properly. Have you learned this?
Reply 5
Here calculation is not to do more work therefore it is not given about Ka and Kb.i need to know the idea how for the rest of the other options lesser pH change and for pure water the change is high.

Quick Reply

Latest