Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Jumping the gun a bit here but I just wanted to be forewarned. We live in Northern Ireland. My son might be going to Man Met to study , from Year Two as he will have an HND. The HND took up two years of Undergraduate funding. The stupid college did not include enough modules in the course and it is therefore only equivalent to the first year of a degree not the first two years. Everyone is only entitled to four years of funding, am I right? I am a single parent living on less than a thousand pounds a month [a lot less]. Because my son will have used up all 4 years of funding by the time his Undergraduate degree ends does this mean he will never be able to study for a post graduate course and get funding for it? Please tell me this isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is entitled to their course length + 1 year.. So if hes used two years then he should have two years left providing his undergrad degree is 3 years long =)

In terms of post grad study as far as i'm aware thats only offered to students who have resided in England for three years (And didn't move here for the purpose of education). I know my friend was having a similar issue. She's welsh and couldn't get funding for her masters...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    Everyone is entitled to their course length + 1 year.. So if hes used two years then he should have two years left providing his undergrad degree is 3 years long =)

In terms of post grad study as far as i'm aware thats only offered to students who have resided in England for three years (And didn't move here for the purpose of education). I know my friend was having a similar issue. She's welsh and couldn't get funding for her masters...
    Thanks for your help Jackie. Don't suppose you know if he would be entitled to Postgraduate funding here in Northern Ireland ?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by markova21)
    Jumping the gun a bit here but I just wanted to be forewarned. We live in Northern Ireland. My son might be going to Man Met to study , from Year Two as he will have an HND. The HND took up two years of Undergraduate funding. The stupid college did not include enough modules in the course and it is therefore only equivalent to the first year of a degree not the first two years. Everyone is only entitled to four years of funding, am I right? I am a single parent living on less than a thousand pounds a month [a lot less]. Because my son will have used up all 4 years of funding by the time his Undergraduate degree ends does this mean he will never be able to study for a post graduate course and get funding for it? Please tell me this isn't the case.
    Hello I didnt see this. Think you are getting ahead of yourself and need to make sure he wants to do it and that he is focused on his course again.

It appears there is a postgraduate loan for N Ireland but its only £5,500 for fees compared to £10,000 for the English one.

Name:  Nirelandpostgrad.PNG
Views: 50
Size:  14.4 KB

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...rthern-ireland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Hello I didnt see this. Think you are getting ahead of yourself and need to make sure he wants to do it and that he is focused on his course again.

It appears there is a postgraduate loan for N Ireland but its only £5,500 for fees compared to £10,000 for the English one.

Name:  Nirelandpostgrad.PNG
Views: 50
Size:  14.4 KB

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...rthern-ireland
    Thank you 999. How is that even remotely fair I wonder?
    • Very Important Poster

I was surprised as N Ireland is normally as close to England as Wales. I suspect it is due to devolution and it comes within the remit of N Ireland, they get the money and decide how they want to distribute it. I still wouldnt worry though as you have to get him on this course and he has to make a success of it. From my impression he isnt sure he even wants to be on the one he attends.

The way round it would be for him to get a job in England post graduation then do postgraduate 3 years later. Most post graduates have extra experience.

ReputationRep:
    To add to 999 tiggers excellent point about devolution, its similar to how Scotland can pay tuition fees for Scots and rest of EU and charge the Welsh, English and NIrish.

ReputationRep:
    If you compare the price of Masters courses, NI is generally much cheaper then England. I suspect the amount of the Postgrad Loan in both areas, is geared towards covering the majority of the tuition fee but not much more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.