The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Hello fellow members of The Student Room! I'm a Year 9 student who is studying O-Levels internationally, and as of today, I need assistance as to know which subjects I should choose to get into the science stream or to be more specific, medicine. I am leaning towards picking these subjects as followed.

English Literature
English Language
Core PE (Compulsory but not assessed) (Excluded as an option)
Mathematics
Malay
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

In my school, Year 9 students are only allowed to select a total of 9 subjects excluding Core PE. As you can see, I have chosen 7 subjects but I'm hesitant as to whether I should choose History, French, Economics, Business or Accounting. If possible, I would like to delve into the science stream and pursue a medical career but in order to be accepted into an exceptional A-Level school or a foundation in science, I need your advice in order to select 2 of the 5 subjects listed above. If you would like to recommend any other subjects, please feel free to do so. I would also like to inquire whether foundations in science or medical schools look for all rounded applicants or those sided towards the science stream.

Thanks for your help and have a great day!
Cheers!
I would say to take French (if you enjoy it of course) because universitys (especially prestigious ones) would want a foreign language included in GCSEs :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
I would say to take French (if you enjoy it of course) because universitys (especially prestigious ones) would want a foreign language included in GCSEs :smile:

Thanks for the advice!
No problem! :smile:
All-rounded is better
I'm taking history, French and economics for a level. I took history and French for GCSE and loved both- universities always appreciate foreign languages too. History is not necessary for sciences, but is a highly regarded subject, as well as being very interesting. Accounting is more mathematical than economics, and probably more vocational, whereas Economics is more theoretical. I started economics this year, having not taken it for GCSE and am doing just fine- so it's not a MUST to have done it for GCSE if you might fancy doing it in the future. I have nothing against business, it is a good subject, but is considered by some top universities to 'soft' in comparison to Economics, as well as Accounting, in some cases:
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/. This is Trinity College Cambridge's grading system of the types of a levels they accept/favour. If you're thinking of applying for a competitive course like medicine, universities sometimes indicate that they prefer more 'traditional' subjects, as they feel that they give you a better grounding. Business and Accounting are NOT considered to be part of the 'traditional' group- e.g. Cambridge will only accept accounting a level as a 4th a level, aka not really part of your offer, whereas they would accept Economics, but would call Business 'limited'. However, when making GCSE choices, these might not be such necessary factors as you'd be continuing sciences for medicine anyway!
Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest