Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, im gonna be starting a teacher training course to study maths in Sept, I was wondering if I would be able to get student finance to help cover the tuition fees I have to pay, I would receive a bursary but my fees are still 9k.
    The only issue I see is that I've already done 4 years of university as I changed course before.
    Would I still get student finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0range)
    Hi guys, im gonna be starting a teacher training course to study maths in Sept, I was wondering if I would be able to get student finance to help cover the tuition fees I have to pay, I would receive a bursary but my fees are still 9k.
    The only issue I see is that I've already done 4 years of university as I changed course before.
    Would I still get student finance?
    Depends on the course I suspect. Exactly which qualification will you be studying? If it's a PGCE then that is funded separately to your previous Student Finance and won't be affected by anything you've had before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Depends on the course I suspect. Exactly which qualification will you be studying? If it's a PGCE then that is funded separately to your previous Student Finance and won't be affected by anything you've had before.
    It will likely be a school direct (unsalaried) so the tuition fees version

ReputationRep:
    It will likely be a school direct (unsalaried) so the tuition fees version
    There's no extra funding for that as far as I know.

Might be worth trying to swap to a PGCE, as you would get both a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan.

ReputationRep:

Might be worth trying to swap to a PGCE, as you would get both a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan.
    I already work at the school that offered me the place as a TA, and they've offered me the school direct unsalaried route after I asked, are you sure it doesn't apply to school direct tuition fees? Cause I'm pretty sure it's the exact same fee as a university led pgce.

I know for definite that I'd be able to get the 25k bursary

ReputationRep:
    I already work at the school that offered me the place as a TA, and they've offered me the school direct unsalaried route after I asked, are you sure it doesn't apply to school direct tuition fees? Cause I'm pretty sure it's the exact same fee as a university led pgce.

I know for definite that I'd be able to get the 25k bursary
    25k is a good deal more than you'd get from SF. Even paying 9k tuition fees from it, you're still left with about 5k more than a maximum SF Maintenance Loan. It's a pretty generous sum.

ReputationRep:

https://sites.google.com/a/aetinet.o...h-will-it-cost

ReputationRep:
    25k is a good deal more than you'd get from SF. Even paying 9k tuition fees from it, you're still left with about 5k more than a maximum SF Maintenance Loan. It's a pretty generous sum.
    You're right, but I'm just comparing it to what I've been offered already, the school I'm at can offer me either a salaried route or an unsalaried route, the way I see it is if I can get a Tuition fee loan then it's no question which option I should choose.

If I can't get the tuition loan then the salaried option would be better for me as I'd get a 22k salary and wouldn't have to pay a tuition fee

ReputationRep:
    So you will get an SF Tuition Fee Loan *and* a 25k bursary to cover living costs. Sweet!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.