Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I leave my engine on all day ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why would it die if the engine is on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    To be honest I'd much rather find out my cooling system was weak whilst the engine is at low load than whilst it's running hard (although even better is monitoring the temperature gauge every now and then to see changes before you can't ignore them). As for engines seizing, again let's talk about modern vehicles... which have things like CHT sensors and limp home mode.

Wear in a modern engine is more or less equivalent to half a gnat's ball hair. That's why it's common for engines to do a couple of hundred thousand miles without so much as a new bearing.

You can't damage viscosity... it's a measure of resistance to flow.

No, combustion chamber pressure will be lower than normal. Crankcase pressure is typically below atmospheric - if your crankcase ventilation system gets blocked and the crankcase starts pressurising the first thing that tends to happen is the dipstick gets pushed out. Due to lower manifold pressure (which is typically where the vacuum for the crankcase is provided from) at low throttle you may have slightly lower than normal crankcase pressure, but from atmospheric to absolute vacuum is only a difference of 15psi. Typical manifold pressure with the throttle closed would be about 4-5psi. That's absolutely insignificant when compared to combustion chamber pressure, which will reach somewhere in the region of 165psi before combustion. Post combustion pressure varies depending on the load, but will be in the region of thousands of psi. But as I've already said, combustion chamber pressure will be much lower than when it's under load (negligible torque, force x area, yada yada) so actually the pressure differential across the piston rings will be much lower than normal.
    Ignition timing will have no effect on leakage, lower piston velocity gives more time for complete combustion of fuel, much less fuel is being introduced so there's much less to leak past the piston rings...
    Understand?
    Given you seem to have all the answers, I'm wondering why you asked the question in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    x

(Original post by Reality Check)
      Bit ironic. Perhaps you could give me a list of comments you find agreeable.
      Your response suggests you don't like that CurlyBen knows a lot more than you do about something.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Reality Check)
      Given you seem to have all the answers, I'm wondering why you asked the question in the first place?
      I'm wondering what question you think I asked! Im not the OP.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CurlyBen)
      I'm wondering what question you think I asked! Im not the OP.
      You're totally right there - please accept my apologies for mixing you up with the OP

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.