Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 5th year hoping to get into west yorkshire for F1. struggling to pick between applying for a big city hospital (i.e. Leeds) and a small DGH (Harrogate) for F1 year.

In yorkshire you switch hospitals for F2, so if I was in Harrogate for F1, I'd get Leeds or equivalent for F2, and vice versa.

I'm currently on placement in Lancaster (small hospital) & the F1s have a pretty chilled job, no medical nights on call and don't get called to arrests. Sounds cushy, but does that mean they're not prepared for F2?
    My boyfriend went to Arrowe park for F1&2 and said he spent on calls running from arrest to arrest. Sounds stressful, but good experience?

I'd really appreciate other people's advice/perspectives.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    F1s not going to arrests is just a bit weird tbh - don't think its linked to DGH vs teaching hospital. In fact, I'd have thought you'd be more likely to hold the crash bleep as an FY1 in a DGH, if there was any difference at all.

I think DGHs give you a better learning experience than a teaching hospital/tertiary centre. But its sounds like you're going to have a year of each either way, so not much difference.

Nevertheless, if learning experience is your only priority, I'd probably go F1 in teaching hospital (you'll just be doing secretarial work no matter where you go) and then F2 in a DGH where you might get a little more independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    F1s not going to arrests is just a bit weird tbh - don't think its linked to DGH vs teaching hospital. In fact, I'd have thought you'd be more likely to hold the crash bleep as an FY1 in a DGH, if there was any difference at all.

I think DGHs give you a better learning experience than a teaching hospital/tertiary centre. But its sounds like you're going to have a year of each either way, so not much difference.

Nevertheless, if learning experience is your only priority, I'd probably go F1 in teaching hospital (you'll just be doing secretarial work no matter where you go) and then F2 in a DGH where you might get a little more independence.
    I don't know.. maybe it's a Yorkshire thing in general, but most of my FY1 friends at DGHs (Barnsley, Rotherham etc) aren't doing nights/holding the crash bleep, whereas those of us at the big teaching hospitals in Sheffield are. I'm not sorry to have had the opportunity to do both of those things this year, especially as neither of my first two FY2 jobs involve nights/crash bleep.

I feel like learning opportunities are pretty thin on the ground wherever you go, though, OP. As above - it's mostly service provision either way.

ReputationRep:
    I did both my F1 and F2 year in a DGH and then went to a huge teaching hospital for ST1.
    I really enjoyed my foundation years and had an excellent teaching experience, I learnt huge amounts and did out of hours/ward cover on evenings and weekends, but not nights until F2 which I think was a really good approach. In this hospital there was a great sense of community, all the consultants knew my name and we had really active and tight-knit mess which helped ease the transition and the stresses of working life.
    When I went to the teaching hospital in ST1 I found I was not underprepared at all, and actually had more experience than others that had done foundation years in teaching hospitals who had clearly spent a lot more time doing paperwork than me.
    At the DGH I also was encouraged to get involved with lots of quality improvement work, was helped to establish successful projects, and the hospital funded a trip to the USA to present my work at an international conference, along with a few other junior docs.
    There are definitely gems that exist for foundation training if you know where to look. This was in Peninsula deanery though, but hopefully there are some in your preferred region too!

ReputationRep:
    DGH always good to start on to learn your basics. Then teaching for FY2.

ReputationRep:
    I did both foundation years in DGHs (though both called themselves "University hospitals" they were not proper teaching hospitals). Did medicine as an FY1 and FY2, two of the toughest jobs I've ever had, even though I didn't do nights as an FY1, so it's definitely not an easy ride everywhere! Good experience though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I would go Harrogate for F1 and Leeds for F2.

ReputationRep:
    F1 is **** everywhere with next to no training these days. So go somewhere that has some nice bars and restaurants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    F1 is **** everywhere with next to no training these days. So go somewhere that has some nice bars and restaurants.
    I think people underestimate the social side of things. My houseman year was brilliant and largely due to the friends I made and the cohort we had. Definitely go somewhere you can enjoy yourself and there's a vibe of F1s being a community rather than scattered all over the place.

For what it's worth from a medical side of things, try and get as much research/info about the potential jobs you'll be doing first. The notion you'll learn loads in a DGH because you'll get to "do" loads but will do nothing in a big teaching hospital is massively overplayed and it can be a lot more job specific.

ReputationRep:
    Jimmies and LGI are meant to be pretty terrible either way, friends (and me) are planning on doing it as F1 to avoid being worked even closer to the bone when you have more responsibility in F2
    The DGHs around Leeds (maybe bar Airedale) are meant to be quite supportive and good for F2 in terms of teaching, audits, easy access to senior advice and stuff

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.